imput on what you would do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy do I know what you are going through. And no it is not wrong to feel like you just need some healthy horses for once so you can quit buying the vets new cars they drive.
default_wink.png
I have been there and done that.

As for your mare, there is a possibility someone might take her with knowing her past and get what ever vet care she needs, if you gave her to them. That is an option.

If it were me, I would start doing some research on herbs and find out which ones are good at treating the things that are wrong with her.

Also, horses can have ulcers in their intestines (not just their stomach) which can cause them the same amount of pain. If it where my horse I would start her on ulcer guard (a couple of tubes) and then switch to a every day preventative med. You can get daily ulcer preventatives that are just added to the grain or you can do Tagment.

If it is bladder infection, could she be infecting herself because of the shape of her rectum and vulva. If the vulva sticks out farther than the rectum, mares have been know to get infected, the vet might be able to stitch the mare up so this stops. The only thing is she has to be unstitched before breeding and foaling. I have seen this in the big horses. But I think I would try some daily herbs first and see if that helps. If you want some more information on this and some places to order them from let me know.

Also another thought, is this happening when she cycles and does it go on through the time she is in heat? It could have a lot to do with her cycles.

Good luck and hope you don't break the bank with this one.

If she was mine I would treat her with tagament and just assume she does have ulcers. It really cant hurt and it might help. Usually you know in 24-48 hrs if the tagament is helping or not. Being on meds for 10 days can cause an ulcer. Sending good thoughts your way

95% of my colics are usually resolved with mineral oil. I have had a few situations where it would not resolve itself and I found it was sand colic. Take some poop and put in a pail and use water to rinse away the manure and see if you have any sand sediment. In one case I found about a teaspoon of sand per dump. Psylium from a health store fixed it. Resolved my problem without a vet.

Boy do I know what you are going through. And no it is not wrong to feel like you just need some healthy horses for once so you can quit buying the vets new cars they drive.
default_wink.png
I have been there and done that.

As for your mare, there is a possibility someone might take her with knowing her past and get what ever vet care she needs, if you gave her to them. That is an option.

If it were me, I would start doing some research on herbs and find out which ones are good at treating the things that are wrong with her.

Also, horses can have ulcers in their intestines (not just their stomach) which can cause them the same amount of pain. If it where my horse I would start her on ulcer guard (a couple of tubes) and then switch to a every day preventative med. You can get daily ulcer preventatives that are just added to the grain or you can do Tagment.

If it is bladder infection, could she be infecting herself because of the shape of her rectum and vulva. If the vulva sticks out farther than the rectum, mares have been know to get infected, the vet might be able to stitch the mare up so this stops. The only thing is she has to be unstitched before breeding and foaling. I have seen this in the big horses. But I think I would try some daily herbs first and see if that helps. If you want some more information on this and some places to order them from let me know.

Also another thought, is this happening when she cycles and does it go on through the time she is in heat? It could have a lot to do with her cycles.

Good luck and hope you don't break the bank with this one.

She just turned 3 and as far as I know she has never yet been in heat

Good luck with your mare. You have sure had your share of problems!

These are a couple of things I have done with mares that look like they have a tummy ache/colic.

911 Paste and/ or baking soda (tbsp)in warm water administered with a syringe.

Neither will hurt if it isn't what they need and you never know, may help.

Usually fillies come into their first heat any where from 8 months to 17 months of age (most are the spring of their yearling year). So chances are your mare has come into heat but you didn't notice it. Mares can also have a silent heat which your mare might be having.

Mares are just like women. Some have normal easy heat cycles and some have painful heat cycles and some get very moody. There are some supplements that you can give a mare with hard heat cycles and also some herbs that are suppose to help.

If this mare is having problems about every 2 weeks and it last for about a week, I would have to say it might have a good chance of being caused by her heat cycles. This is just a thought.

If you can get your hands on a April issue of Equus magazine, there is an article about treating moody mares that have hard heat cycles. I have not read the whole thing yet but there might be something in there to help you out.

I would still put this mare on ulcer med. for now it won't hurt. Also you could add 1 tablespoon of whole flax seed daily to her grain to help with her digestive system.

Do you treat her for sand on a regular basis? If not you might want to or the whole flax seed will do the same thing but on a daily basis.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can help with some more information or research.

Also one more thing. If you treat her for colic with oil, I add 2 crushed up tums to this. It helps flavor the oil so they don't in hale it and it helps if it is gas colic. A lot of horses get gas colic (painful from gas bloating) and Tums or Malox really do the trick.

I do not have sand,but love the tums idea,I also heard that 1 tsp of white vinegar once a day is to help break down stones ?never heard of malox and how much / where to get it ?worth a try it wont hurt I guess.Vet said to only give her mineral oil for 3 days and she is done that now. will mention to him/her about the hard heat sycle

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]ibquackers20,[/SIZE]

Let me tell you what to try with your filly! Go to a health food store and get some Aloe Juice and some Slippery Elm Powder! Put 15cc of Aloe Juice and 1/4 tsp. of Slippery Elm Powder in a syring and shake it up and squirt it in her mouth twice a day, before she eats, morning and night! This will coat her tummy, if she has ulsers and she won't show any signs of colic! Try this for a couple weeks and see if it helps her!
default_yes.gif

I'll bet it will!
default_wink.png

Bill

If you can not afford her. Not to be harsh, but maybe you could give her to someone that can handle the cost. I can not believe that anyone would buy a mare that every 2 days needs a vet. However, maybe you could give her to someone.
That's my suggestion. Know anybody that would take her in exchange for handling the medical costs?

At least you'd cut your losses.

I would recommend a couple of treatments of EquiMax or Zimectrin GOLD - these wormers also carry Praziquantel which will get the tapeworms -- standard Ivermectin does not get these little guys and t hey can cause a lot of problems - you may need 2 or 3 treatments, a couple of weeks apart to get a handle on it, and after that I would probably go to a daily wormer - works wonders!

JMO - I hope things turn around for both you and her, I am sure it no fun for either of you,

Stacy

had to get the vet out again around 5:00 she went down again and I got her up and walking..Finally a different vet came and tested her for bladder infection but he said that was not her problem,he wants to come tomorrow and bring his female vet who has very small hands and check inside for stones.He also said he will be doing an alter sound as well for anything else that may be there that should not be there.He promised me that he would find out what is going on and treat her.

I really liked this different vet,he answered all my questions and said tomorrow we will have the answer and cure her.For right now he gave her a needle for pain and a needle with antibiotics,she seems ok ,been watching her all evening and she is not trying to pee or pushing.He will be doing a load of other tests as well and get this he is comming to my place to do it,he said he does not want to stress her out with the traveling and he will not charge me for the house call .Wow shuch a nice guy -- and he works out of the same office as my now old vet.Will get this one from know on but I hope after tomorrow I never have to see another vet till summer needles are due.

Will keep you posted on how things go tomorrow if I get the time.Need to get van fixed and pick up my cat that passed away and put him to rest.

Is there any chance she might be in heat? I once owned a mare that coliced so severely, to see her, both the vet and I expected her to die. He internally palpated her and found her follicles had enlarged, (ripened) but had not released. This mare was laying on the floor of the barn, and we had to literally drag her around and had one heck of a time to get her up. Once he massaged the eggs and they released, she showed IMMEDIATE relief. I spoke to the previous owner while waiting for the vet to arrive, and she had told me of the mare doing this once before, so that is how I knew to mention it. Apparently, that was all it was, as she was up and eating and feeling 100% in just a matter of minutes. It was unbelievable to witness, how a horse can appear on deaths door, and something so simple can cause such immediate relief.
default_yes.gif
The vet still talks about that!
default_biggrin.png

update on mare,ended up driving her to vets office.She was a real trouper and just let them /doctors do their thing she did not resist the vets at all and did not even need a needle to calm her down.

tests done were ulcers no problem,did an internal and also internal ultersound and found no stones,and no problems with her eggs being released.

Checked her urin and poop also - all is fine there,checked for impact ,no problem,ok on the worms thing no problems.The vet knows there is something because he was here the other day to see her and saw how she was pushing.They are puzzled and so am I but we are not giving up yet-the vet is going to call some place and see what they have to say.Can not remember what the place is or who but only that they may have some idea that may be causing this problem that has reacured about every 2 months.

They even took blood but not sure what they will find with it.She seems fine right now and you would never know she was in trouble.I will not give up nore will this vet he said he will find out what is going on.Thanks for the help guys but I am still at my wits end trying to rigure her problem out.

Oh good grief makes it so much harder when they can't figure it out! I guess though that the things he rulled out are a relief of some sorts! Hang in there!

ok it has been 5 days now and my mare is doing great,altersound showed up nothing.I am beginning to think that maybe she is having a hard heat and that is why she was in pain . The vet did mention about maybe giving her a needle to stop her cycle.

Question is if she gets a needle for that has anyone ever had a mare take a reaction to it or change her attitude she is 3 and has never had a foal at all and all my boys have been gelded long time ago.

Also how many needles does she have to have ,is it just the one needle a year,any information on this would be great - this is new to me and I hope it solves the mystery.
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Has this mare been bred yet? I have seen a bad uterine infection (in a mare AFTER I sold her and she was bred to the buyer's stallion) cause similar symptoms.[/SIZE]

As a breeder, I would not consider buying the mare back unless I knew it was something environmental I could resolve quickly.

this mare was born on my property and has never been bred and never will,I am not going into that and all 3 of my boys are geldings also 1 gelding is in training for driving .We just simple enjoy them,my boys are registered but not my mare.I would love to train her to give rides to my grand child once she/he is born in a few months.My mare is built like a brick house and is very strong yet so gental and loves having kids around.When my mare is resting on the ground my foster kids 9/8/7/5 can run all around her and the mare continues laying there resting.

We checked for a lot of things on her and pocked and proded her and came up with nothing,now I am thinking it could be a hard heat she is going through (could it be that simple)that causes her pain ?

Latest posts

Back