Importing mare & foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
Used to be that if you brought a mare & her nursing foal into Canada from the US, only the mare had to have her coggins test--the foal travelled along on her paperwork...at least that's what I've always been told.

Is that still the case, or do you now have to have the coggins for both mare and foal?

Here is the USDA/APHIS site that describes everything you need to export mare and foal from the US to Canada. I hope it helps.

USDA/APHIS

Nursing foals up to 5 months of age can go on the dam's Coggins. However, each (mare and foal) must have their own Health Cert for identification purposes.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Linda, for that site! That's what I thought, only I was thinking 6 mos., not 5 mos.

I'll call the border crossing on Monday to be 100% sure, but if I can save even the price of one coggins test, any little thing helps!
yes.gif

Linda's info does apply to all horses, not just the slaughter animals--if you read it closely, the clause about coggins tests not being required for foals that are less than 5 mos. of age does say "OR" horses coming into Canada for slaughter. This is the way it was up through last year, but it's possible that the rule has been changed in '05. The page itself is dated 2002, with 2005 amendments for slaughter horses....the Alberta page Mary Lou posted might be the current requirements. Hmmm, will have to check.

Latest posts

Back