Importing into Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifflunn

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
It might be just the standard breds and thoroughbreds for racing? but it does say or "Other purposes"

It will be interesting to know.

We cross over every year, myself I have to always make an appointment--- always. U.S. Vet inspects the papers and gets paid from me for that. Not much to panic about just more money spent. We cross on the B.C. side just over the Alberta border. When we come back we now have to have PAY money for all horses coming back also, just more money!! It used to be a flat fee of about 25.00 per horse even slaugnhter horses but now it is 35.00 per horse ALL horses , they just implicated this a few weeks ago.

This was sent to me by a friend- I didnt get much time to follow it through and see if it affects anyone buying or showing horses cross border. Does anyone one know if this affect the horse people- I read the statement but not sure because of the wording that it is a typo- or the way they worded it?

Right now I just ship through the Peace Bridge.

Thank You

Tiffany

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/notices/3-2-11/important-lewistonniagara-falls-border-info.html
The change in protocol that they are noting is that you now must make an appointment IF you are seeing the vet for things such as importing a horse permanently into the US. Previously you did not need an appointment. This does not affect show horses entering the US on a 30 day temporary health certificate. If you have any doubts call the number at the bottom of the article and they will clarify this for you.

Pam

The change in protocol that they are noting is that you now must make an appointment IF you are seeing the vet for things such as importing a horse permanently into the US. Previously you did not need an appointment. This does not affect show horses entering the US on a 30 day temporary health certificate. If you have any doubts call the number at the bottom of the article and they will clarify this for you.

Pam
Pam, did you actually call and talk to them and this is what they said? I was about to call but dont want to bug them if this has already been clarified?

Thanks

I rang the crossing at Sarnia today and the vet there said that no appointment is needed there. Just arrive after 10am because they inspect cows between 8 & 10. He said each crossing have different rules & you should ring to find out the rules before you travel.

Pam, did you actually call and talk to them and this is what they said? I was about to call but dont want to bug them if this has already been clarified?

Thanks
Yes I called and clarified. So just to clarify for anyone reading this topic as even the topic heading is misleading. If you look at the article Tiffany posted, they are letting folks know that at the Queenston-Lewiston crossing between Ontario and New York you now will need to make an appointment to see the US federal vet when going INTO the US-ONLY IF YOU NEED TO SEE HIM.This would be a horse going into the US permanently or for more than 30 days, or for breeding purposes. This does not affect show horses going from Canada into the US for a show with 30 day health papers and have nothing to do with importing into Canada.

If you have any doubts there is a USDA phone number included in the article and they can answer your questions. Crossings in different provinces and states are all different.

Pam

Pam - Thank You for clarifying and yes I posted the topic wrong-(I realize that too late- and can't figure out how to fix it)I'll make sure I have that second cup of coffee before I post next time
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back