Importing Curly Mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penella22

Reaction score
I've been lurking on the LB forums for a few months now, but joined today so I could ask for everyone's advice. I currently own a regular 14hh Curly gelding named Sage (see my profile picture, or go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_Horse) but I am hoping to import a Curly Mini from France to here in the United States this fall. What could be cuter than a CURLY mini??? (I didn't post his picture here because I don't own him yet.)

I'm hoping to hear from other mini owners who have imported to the U.S. about how they set things up, and how they safely shipped their mini from overseas. I would be using the N.Y. entry point, but still need to find a good place for quarantine. The mini I am importing is under a year old and is a gelding so I believe he will just need the 3 days of quarantine.

Has anyone done this before???

Thanks so much for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from the UK!! I cant help you either but just wanted to say that the journey is going to be a very long (and pretty stressful) for one so young.

Be careful when you arrange your transportation as with the little ones they often travel two together in each crate compartment when flying, and you need to make sure that if this is likely to happen, then whoever is selected to be his travelling companion is someone that he has been 'introduced' to and is not someone who will bully him for the whole trip - several years ago our young stallion was travelled with another colt and arrived covered with bite marks on his neck and shoulders and was utterly exhausted. The young colt had no marks on him!

That said, you must be so excited to get another 'curly' - cant wait to see some pictures once he's here.
default_yes.gif

You avatar horse is beautiful. We have a member on here who breeds Curly horses maybe she will see your post and add some info.

Isn't there a farm in Canada that breeds curly minis? I guess you could do an internet search
default_smile.png

There are several Welsh Pony breeders on the Ponies-L list (Yahoo Groups) that have imported ponies from Wales and Great Britain.

One would be Family Partners Welsh Ponies & Mt Dragon pony stud (Evans prefix name) - both have websites.

At least two that I know of are on the West Coast - don't know what the entrance points that they used. But they could help you out. There was also a farm in VA and maybe a couple of them in Canada that also have imported. I beleive some combined their shipments to ship a larger group at one time for a more affordable cost - but I could be wrong...

I can't remember the names of the other farms - been too long since I've been really involved with the welsh ponies...

Maybe you've already checked out breeders with the States but there is

Bancroft Miniature Curlies in Washington state, also.

Depending on where you are there are 4 Breeders in Canada 3 In Washington State and a couple of others spattered through out the us. Most are averaging sizes of 33-41" Miniature Curlies are being measured at the top of the wither so if you need last hairs of the mane ask the breeders.

SnowyRiver Farms In BC

Fireside Miniature Curlies in Alberta

Bancroft Curlies Washington

And the Canadian Miniature Horse Magazine has an article on the Miniature Curlies.

I know that several of the farms do have some available. And 2 of the farms have starter packages available as well. (I wont go into details because of the rules of the board)

Please feel free to PM for more information.

(Edited to remove the links sorry Admin)

Latest posts

Back