Importing a Horse to Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim

Reaction score
We bought a horse in the US a bit over a year ago, however are just going to be bringing him back now. We are going down to get him ourselves, and I am wondering what exactly we will need. I've searched for and read all of the old posts about this topic, and I understand that I need the following to bring a horse purchased in the US to Canada:

Coggins (6 mos)

International Health Certificate (30 days)

Bill of Sale

I have all of these, however, I found some information on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website that says that I need an 'Export Certificate'. Is this the same thing as the International Health Papers, or something different, and is it even required?

Finally, with respect to GST and PST, I live in Alberta where there is no PST, however, I am planning to go through a BC border crossing. BC does have PST. Will I be required to pay the BC PST in addition to GST, even though I am from Alberta? (If so, I will have to try to change the route to go through an Alberta crossing.)

Thanks for any help!

I do believe that the Internation Healthpapers are the same as Export Certificate. I always find calling Customs and Ag Canada direct is the easiest. You will have to pay GST for sure.

Kim

Kim congrats on bringing your new horse home. I doubt you will have any problem. Make sure you have the ad you bought him from or a website/contact info for the seller since I understand they are asking for those to prove value. As far as PST goes if your drivers license etc says Alberta they shouldn't charge you PST (can't say won't cuz it is a border guard you'll be dealing with) If they do you can apply for a refund and get it back anyway. Give yourself plenty of time and try to warn the crossing you plan to use (Creston?) that you will be coming and approximately when and that usually helps cut the time spent waiting around.

Just as others have said - you will need Coggins (within 6 months), International Health Certificate (within 30 days) and bill of sale. Also - if he was advertised on a website - have that information available - and a phone number of the seller.

We have purchased horses many times from the US - and brought them back into Canada with no problems - except at the Creston border crossing. We had forgotten to get a bill of sale (just too busy talking) - but I had copies of my US money orders. Well that wasn't good enough and they did not believe me as far as the purchase price went. They took myself into one room - my husband into another room - went through my entire purse (and I mean everything). They told me that they have million dollar horses crossing at that border crossing and that I can't fool them. I guess they think they are experts on horse values. Now keep in mind this was a gelding we were bringing across - not even a breeding animal - it was just ridiculous. It cost me over $600 in GST and penalties (because they decided the price of the horse - and then insisted that I was lying). So - be sure to have everything in place. If they don't believe you - the bill of sale may not be enough - but if they can talk to the seller then that should suffice!!!!

We have never had a problem at the North Portal (North Dakota/Saskatchewan) crossing - but one time the CRA agent did call the seller after looking at their website - but I wasn't trying to hide anything anyway (that would be really stupid) and as soon as that agent talked to the seller - we paid our GST and were on our way.

There should not be any PST on horses - there isn't in Saskatchewan - and when we crossed at Creston - there was no PST there either - just GST on the horse (and they will convert the US price to Canadian $).

Hope this helps - and congratulations on your purchase.

Pictures - please!!!!!!

oh kim how exciting. Are you guys going to show him this year? If not I want pictures so I can see him lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
Congrats
default_smile.png

We just had our 6 months coggins; 30 day health papers; Bill Of Sale and her Registration papers
default_yes.gif
We got our girl in february. There then the tax fees :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back