Imagine My Surprise

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryHaven

Reaction score
My maiden mare that I purchased bred, and that kept going in and out of looking like she was going to deliver every other week for months, then for the past two weeks stopped looking bred at all, delivered a little surprise to us on Wednesday morning.

I will have to hang my head, and admit I had stopped keeping her under camera. I honestly, truly believed she was doing what my other mare did to me last year, and going through a false pregnancy. Camera or not, though, I wouldn't have been home when this mare delivered. I was taking my son to work, and it's an hour round trip. I know the baby wasn't there when I left, because I always check everybody before I drive away, it's a weird quirk of mine, and I always check them when I get home from where ever I've been.

Well, when I pulled in the drive... imagine my surprise to see a new set of legs next to my buckskin mare April.

This all happened Wednesday morning, and I haven't gotten around to posting because I was so worried. The baby was very fraile at birth, 1st baby and all, and I think maybe even a little premie, doing lots of premie type things, but worst of all, mare just plain wasn't letting down milk. She had a huge tight bag, and when I tried to express colostrum, my hand did get wetness on it, but not the streaming milk I'm used to being able to express. And baby just wasn't the brightest bulb in the package when it came to latching on either.

Well finally, by late that night, April decided to let it all out, and the milk just dripped from her udder, and baby finally was getting good at latching on for more than a second. Whew. I still kind of held my breath all day yesterday, going out every couple hours to make sure the baby got up, and got a good grasp on the situation, but I was feeling better in that she was looking stronger, although still so tiny.

So, without further adieu, I'd like to present the fantastic little present my mare gave me. I couldn't ask for more, it's exactly what I'd hoped for... a pretty little buckskin filly!

Oh, and Kaykay, and Fran's Crunch is the daddy!!!!!

Here she is, tentatively named Country Havens Shock and Awe

Shocker1.jpg

shockerhead1.jpg

I just LOVE the head on this little girl!

shockandmom.jpg

By the way, she just wasn't cooperating at all. When I brought them out of the stall, and sat for awhile watching, no camera of course, she was running all over, and standing up all straight and cute... the minute I went for the camera, she decided the door was interesting, or something else on the ground, or stayed behind mom. ARGH. LOL

Thanks for letting me share.

Awww i love her!!! Shes got that tiny crunch head!! Cant wait to see her in a couple weeks all unfolded. Congrats

Now that's my kind of surprise!!!! Very nice!! Congratulations!!!

[SIZE=14pt]Wow Tami, what a great surprise! All my false preg mares did was come back in heat! lol[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thank you everybody. I am really falling in love with this little girl. I don't know how I'm ever going to re-coup any money at all doing this if I always fall in love. However, I'm lucky enough that hubby can't complain too much, we have an earlier foal from this year that was definately supposed to be for sale (she's lovely, but she's the one and only color I really don't care for)... but HE fell in love with her, so she's staying too. LOL

:aktion033: She is beautiful, Tami! She does look like High minus the blaze! Congratulations!! Woo Hoo!

Fran

What a wonderful surprise! She looks like a little sweetheart!! CONGRATS!!
default_wub.png
:

:aktion033: I want one! I want one! Well not really, but man o man I love those Buckskins and she's a doll and mom stunning!

Love it,

Maxine

Alright, Ron and I are checking out your baby's picture again. So since Annie and April are 1/2 sisters and the foals are from the same sire are they 1/2 or 3/4 siblings? I say 1/2 and he says 3/4.

Fran

Hate to say it Fran, but I think Ron is right.
default_smile.png
Hi Ron. :saludando:

(They'd be 1/2 if they only had one similar parent, ie: same sire. But since they not only have the same sire, but their dams are 1/2 sisters, that ups the percentage. Funny thing though, ask Ron what he thinks about my colts last year. Dams were FULL sisters, and the boys both had the same sire. Does that make them full brothers even though they had different dams?)

Hate to say it Fran, but I think Ron is right.
default_smile.png
Hi Ron. :saludando:

(They'd be 1/2 if they only had one similar parent, ie: same sire. But since they not only have the same sire, but their dams are 1/2 sisters, that ups the percentage. Funny thing though, ask Ron what he thinks about my colts last year. Dams were FULL sisters, and the boys both had the same sire. Does that make them full brothers even though they had different dams?)
Well, I guess it is just a matter of opinion, but I disagree. They are only half brothers because they do not have both the same parents. They are however, first cousins as well as being half brothers.

Just a side note, my Granddaddy (who died long before I was born) married his first wife's younger sister after his first wife died. Saves getting a new set of in-laws. He of course had children by both. My mother was the youngest from his second wife.

Well what a nice outcome to a false pregnancy! I would take 1 like that any day
default_yes.gif
:

:aktion033:
default_wub.png
: WOW....NOT SURE WHO'S MORE PRETTY....Mama or Baby
default_wub.png
: :aktion033:

What a wonderful, elating surprise.....you must be very proud!

Cindy

Latest posts

Back