I'm sooo excited!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I heard about a book. Everyone kept saying that it was their favorite book from their childhood, so of course I had to check it out. I read the description and it sounded like a book I would have loved when I was a pre-teen. I went to Amazon to order it, and they had a copy for $183. WHAT?!? I did an online search and found out this book is not in print anymore, and everyone who has it, seems to want to keep it that way. I found a few others from $200 all the way up to $1800.
default_new_shocked.gif

I have searched extensively for this book ever since. I think the fact that it is so 'rare and in demand' has made me want it that much more. I have looked in used book stores, libraries, thrift shops...nothing! The ones I have seen online have never been for less then $150. Even my best friend has been searching for it whenever she goes somewhere.

Amazon recently listed a copy for $125 (the lowest I've seen it) one day, and within 24 hours it was unavailable again. Well last Saturday night, my brother called me and started playing the "how much do you love me" game. He then told me that a woman had placed the book on Ebay and he had just won it - for $30.00(including S&H)!!! The book had been sitting in the seller's garage for 25 years, and she put the opening bid at $1.00. He was bidding against two other people, and he didn't think he was going to win it. I had no idea that he has been keeping an eye out for the book too.
default_wub.png

We have been so worried that the seller would realize what a gem she had, and would cancel the transaction. I've been sitting on pins and needles all week!
default_new_multi.gif
But a little while ago I received a text from my brother telling me he had just received it in the mail!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
I sooo can not wait to have it in my hands! One thing's for sure - after all the anticipation, I'll be devastated if the story falls short of my expectations. Lol.

So just out of curiosity, has anyone here read "The Ghost in the Swing" by Janet Patton Smith?

I've never read it or heard of it, but I hope it lives up to your expectation! I will be waiting for your review.

One from my childhood, it was given to me by my great-grandma and I loved it and read it many times. It's starting to fall apart, so I haven't read it in a long time.

It's Hobby Horse Hill by Lavinnia R. Davis & Charles Beck. It's about a girl who gains confidence training a horse, the details are foggy, but I know I loved it!

Congratulations on the score!

I remember Hobby Horse Hill -- the girl goes to spend the summer with her horsey cousins...in addition to their gentle ponies, they've just gotten a high-spirited horse, Cassandra, that only the older cousins can ride. She manages to get permission to take this horse out for a ride by asking her aunt when she is wrapped up in her painting -- she can't handle her and gets into trouble.

So I remember Hobby Horse Hill, but I haven't read The Ghost In the Swing. I did manage to read a Stan Kenton (jazz big band leader) biography that is virtually impossible to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Hobby Horse Hill -- the girl goes to spend the summer with her horsey cousins...in addition to their gentle ponies, they've just gotten a high-spirited horse, Cassandra, that only the older cousins can ride. She manages to get permission to take this horse out for a ride by asking her aunt when she is wrapped up in her painting -- she can't handle her and gets into trouble.
I remembered something about cousins, but I couldn't remember the details. Thanks so much for filling in the details!

Congrats Sara! I can feel your excitement! I remember that book and the song (songs?) in it..or I should say I think I do. I'm pretty sure my daughter brought that book home from grade school, there was another like it as well that we enjoyed. Wow what a brother you have!!!

Congrats on your find...you have a wonderful brother. I was recently looking for a book that my Dad was featured in. It's called "Inside the Green Berets". They had plenty on Amazon for cheap, but they were all in poor, poor condition...any good condition ones I could find were over $100. I didn't even think to check ebay. I did buy a couple that were in fair condition but still want one that is in excellent condition to put away. I'm going to check ebay out and see if I can find one on there.

Hope the book lives up to your expectations.

I remember that book and the song (songs?) in it..or I should say I think I do.
Several people had mentioned the songs in their reviews.
default_smile.png
It only took me a couple of hours to read this book (a whole 185 pages long), but it was really good! I wouldn't say that it was $125+ good, but if it is a fond childhood memory, then I can see someone paying a high price.

I kept trying to guess the plot and I was wrong each time. Lol.

I was recently looking for a book that my Dad was featured in. It's called "Inside the Green Berets". They had plenty on Amazon for cheap, but they were all in poor, poor condition...any good condition ones I could find were over $100. I didn't even think to check ebay. I did buy a couple that were in fair condition but still want one that is in excellent condition to put away. I'm going to check ebay out and see if I can find one on there.
Is this the one by Charles M. Simpson? If so, they have ones in "Like New" condition for $30 at Amazon.

Or maybe try here...(go down to number 4)

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=3244858&qsort=c

I haven't read it but I looked it up and it sounds like a great book. Congratulations!! I've started trying to find the originals of some of my favorite books from my younger years. Not an easy task to find the original editions so I understand how much your find means to you. You have an amazing brother!

Wow! Someone just messaged my brother on Ebay asking him if he'd be interested in selling my book. Lol. I didn't know that people could see who won a bid. ?

Latest posts

Back