I'm soo upset! I never thought this would happen in our neighborhood!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
This is not the first time one of them has been in our yard, calmed down and taken home with a warrning to the owners. Well it came back yesterday and brought another huge German Shepherd with it. They were running the fence and barking and pawing at the fence according to hubby. So he went and got the 12 guage and pepperd the big one with bird shot. We knew where the little one came from, it has tags, but the big one no tags. I came home and hubby told me what happened and to expect the sherriff if they both were his dogs. Well the sherriff did show up and hubby told him the truth, we both have this horrible habbit of not lying!!! LOL!! We could have denied everything and life would have been soooo much easier!!! LOL!!(thats what the cop expected and even said so!) Now he said that the state will "probably" not press charges but the neighbor can get us with a civil suit for the vet bills! I just wonder why I should have to pay his vet bills? His dogs(plural) were trying to attack MY horses! What if my son would have been out there!!!!! I would pay if I felt it was my responsability. They were in my yard!!! I have an old gal that's 35 this year, she was soo stressed out. And my llama was laying outside their door staring over by that fence line all night(I went and checked on them for my comfort). They were freeky this morning and no one will go over in that area. I'm mad! They make dog collers and tieouts, invisable fence and Kennels for a reason! Why on earth would these people not have to use something like that when every one else in the world has too if they can't keep their dog(s) home! My dogs NEVER wonder!!!! EVER!!!!! Do you know why???.. Because I don't want my dogs bothering someone and doing something they should not be doing! And I love them and don't want them hurt or killed for ANY reason!

Michigan law is completely on our side!!!

"Quote"

287.279 Killing of dog pursuing, worrying, or wounding livestock or poultry, or attacking person; damages for trespass; effect of license tag.

Sec. 19. Any person including a law enforcement officer may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing, worrying, or wounding any livestock or poultry or attacking persons, and there shall be no liability on such person in damages or otherwise, for such killing. Any dog that enters any field or enclosure which is owned by or leased by a person producing livestock or poultry, outside of a city, unaccompanied by his owner or his owner’s agent, shall constitute a trespass, and the owner shall be liable in damages. Except as provided in this section, it shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to kill or injure or attempt to kill or injure any dog which bears a license tag for the current year.

Am I wrong???? I feel like crap!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with you on this......you are NOT wrong. While I would feel bad as a dog lover, I would AND HAVE protected my livestock from dogs. It makes me mad.......I keep my dogs in a fence, why can't other people? the law is on your side, keep that RSA printed out and ready to show it to the owners if need be. The only think I can think they "could" get you on, is animals cruelty, as you didn't kill the dog just "harmed" it. if they do try to fight it, I hope you do to. I am sorry this happened to you and your animals, good luck.

I love my animals. I love my dogs. I never want to see any harm to any animal. BUT as an owner, I need to make sure my animals do not do harm to others, including neighbors pets and livestock. You were protecting your animals from a large dog. Of course you feel guilty, that would be normal for a animal loving person, but that does not mean you were wrong. All the animals are still alive, including the dogs. Stand proud, love your pets do not beat yourself up and do not let him bully you.

My husband has the SSS rule when it comes to animals attacking our livestock: shoot, shovel, and shut up. Fortunately we haven't had to apply this rule yet.

I, too, can't lie to save myself. I can omit the complete truth sometimes.

The sheriff needs to brush up on his livestock regulations, IMO there is no "probably" here, the state has no grounds for charging you with anything. Was he perhaps trying to suggest that hubby should have used a rifle? Must one use deadly force to avoid being "cruel"?

Your neighbors may decide to sue you to try to recoup their vet bills, but they'd still have to convince a judge that they were owed the money. Unfortunately, it is only your word against theirs that this wasn't the first time that their dog(s) had been harassing your animals, it would be nice if you had some sort of documentation (or maybe visits from Animal Control) to support your side of the story.

Of course this is upsetting for you. No decent person enjoys hurting animals, for any reason. Michigan has a fairly large population; I'm sure there are regulations in your area having to do with keeping your animals out of other property owners' hair. If these dogs' owner would fulfill his own responsibility, he wouldn't have this conflict with you, and he wouldn't be paying a vet to remove birdshot from his dog. I imagine the vet will remind him of that.

You are NOT wrong. You've warned the neighbors. (I would send a copy of that Michigan law to the sheriff....no need to say anything else.)

The neighbors should be relieved it was only bird shot.

I think I would have had the vet out to check on your older mare for the stress it caused her, and then sent them YOUR vet bill.

You know I have to say all day today was bad for them. As soon as I put every one out there was snorting and running, just nervous behavior. So I just let them out for a few and put them all back inside where they were calmer. My poor llama is so stressed, he lays down and stares at that fence line then stands up and stomps making the weird allerting call. Daves cool, he's has always payed alot of attention to our surroundings but he's deffinately stressed. My old girl was also not her self, she stood by the gate most of the time she was out, thats very unusual for her. I guess I'll just keep an eye out and make sure no one gets too stressed. I have to work 10 hour tomorrow so I was just thinking I'll keep them in all day, better safe then sorry.... I hate this! The more I think about it the madder I get! I'm so mad at the irresponsability of these owners! And now ALL our pet have to suffer! I'm mad(I just can't say it enough!!!! Sorry
default_no.gif
)!

Thanks everyone for letting me say my peace! I knew you all would totally get how I feel! I appricate your support!

I agree that the law appears to be totally on your side. You should have got on their case first--hubby should have called the sheriff and made a complaint about the dogs before the dog owner had a chance to call and complain about his dogs' injury. Or, instead of the shotgun he should have used the rifle, and there wouldn't have been dogs to go home! SSS is an excellent choice!!

Latest posts

Back