I'm so bummed

• Thread starter Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too

I just hate it when stuff like this happens
sad.gif
You know that gut feeling you get when something isn't quite right? Well a few days ago I discovered my mare has not been fed in the mornings as I'd contracted. I don't know for how long it's been happening but no way an 80 lb bale lasts 2 1/2 weeks. Daisy's been ravenous every night for over a week and come to find out my fears were confirmed Sunday. There was a single large flake left on her feed rack Saturday night. I went to a horse show with some new friends Sunday and when I got back to take care of Daisy that afternoon her flake was still on the feed rack. I tried to lie to myself and thought well maybe she just forgot to give it to her that a.m. Well I put a new bale in the rack and only cut one of the twine. You could still pull a flake but it would make a real mess. The bale hadn't been touched to day either so Daisy again went without her morning feed.

This gal is HUGE and she's always moving and burns a lot of calories. She's in perfect condition and I feed her the same amount and type of rations as her previous owner. Tonight I noticed she's really tucked up--one of the early signs of weight loss. She grazes in her own lot during the day but it's not adequate as a feed source just as a boredom reducer.

I made other arrangements for her morning care and sent an email to the person who was supposed to be taking care of her. Told her in so many words, your fired. Frankly, I'd like to give her a taste of her own laziness, she could afford to miss a few meals herself.

Daisy's halter wasn't even on right. Geeze how hard is it to put on a halter? It's one of their rules that all turn-outs have to wear a halter which ticks me off to no end so I got her a break away and put extra holes in it. Tonight it was all twisted and so tight I was tempted to give the dang thing a pull and rip it off. Her poor face was full of pressure dents where the hardware was digging into her. Made me almost cry to know she was hurting all day and no one to help her.

I just hate people sometimes! I'm so mad I just want to give my notice and get the heck out of there. But it really makes me sad too because I really like the other boarders very much. I've made some really neat friends and they are really peeved that Daisy's been treated badly too.

Just needed to vent--PMS as well so I"m going to go have a good cry now.
crybaby.gif

This is the problem with many boarding stables: they steal and lie and don't take care of your horse like they are supposed to. If they did it once, it will happen again. Mark my words. Just imagine if this was winter, they would have froze to death. Next time, and there will be a next time, they might have no water or get hurt, or God knows what. How come nobody there came to your horse's rescue and gave you a call about this? Someone there had to notice.

I've been on both sides of the fence, having to board for many years and then boarding horses at my place too. You can still remain friends with the boarders that you like, but for your horse's sakes and your peace of mind, I'd simply get the horses out of there in New York minute and never look back.

Awww, poor Daisy. I am so sorry for this situation, but glad you discoved it now, and not when she was a pile of bones.
sad.gif
Have you discussed this with the barn owner, or only the help that was supposed to take care of Daisy? Sure would be nice if you could move her in with you, but I know that cannot always be the case with horse owners. Good Luck.

Have you talked to the other boarders? Daisy can't be the only horse being forgotten or neglected and they should know what you have noticed.

Like Marty said if this was winter time and she didn't have hay to keep eating and keep her warm it would have been awful and beyond that.....I am sure she must not be getting watered with fresh water enough.

Let us know how it all works out. I am sorry for you and for Daisy
no.gif

I have found it is very, very hard to find another person who will care for your horses the way you yourself would -- however, there is no excuse for point blank skipping a horse's scheduled meal.
threaten.gif

Oh thats just so sad!!! Makes me want to cry!!!!
sad.gif
I agree with Marty...I would be looking for another place to board my girl if I could not bring her home. And Jill hit the nail on the head...just what I was thinking...no one takes care of your's like you do. Thats the reason why we decided 16 years ago that it was time to look for our own farm....so we could bring our babies home. The straw that broke the came''s back was when my eventing horse got kicked by a mare with shoes on and opened up his chest. He had many stitches holding him together and NO ONE CALLED ME!!!!
nono.gif
(can't find the mad smiley). Well after that we decided WE'D take care of our own horses. I hope you are able to work something out, poor Daisy!!! Some people have the nerve!!!

I am so sorry Shirley... Poor Daisy...
no.gif

I HATE boarding places like that (or I *should* say, people who work at barns that do that!!) We had that happen with my QH too, and we ended up buying our own place and bringing our kids home to live with us! No one to blame but ourselves then! ;)

Poor Daisy, someone needs horsewhipped! Grrrrrr!

Nancy

I just heard from the person whose been doing the partial care for Daisy. She was very upset about this too. She assured me that she has been giving her the a.m. feedings and doesn’t know how the halter got twisted up. She said she would credit me for the remaining days as I’m paid through the middle of next month. I do feel bad about all this but I can’t take chances that this may or may not have happened. I like to think only the best about people and it distresses me greatly when I encounter such a sticky issue. My co-boarders checked the feed with me Sunday evening and confirmed that the bale had not been opened yesterday before I fed the p.m. rations.

I have discontinued the partial care with the first person as of today. A friend just called to tell me that the young lady across the aisle from me fed Daisy this morning and took her out to her pasture as I’d asked her to do starting today. When I got there yesterday afternoon this same young lady had cleaned her stall and fluffed the bedding to perfection, changed her water and put a large flake in her rack I didn’t even ask her to do this, she just took it upon herself to be helpful and I am very touched she did this. She said she doesn’t want to be paid but I insist that we come to some agreement to reward her for this generosity. She said she’d think about it but her mom said she’s really stubborn and it will be hard to get her to accept anything. Her own horse is cared for to perfection so I feel pretty good that Daisy will be well taken care of from now on.

I wish we had property too so I could have her at home but that’s sometime off in the future. I know no one would take care of my animals like I would but I handle the majority of Daisy’s basic care, stall cleaning, making sure she has plenty of fresh clean water in her stall and pasture and evening feed. Of course treats too so there is no way she would have suffered neglect to any great degree
wink.gif
. I only need someone to feed her in the a.m., put her fly mask on and walk her down to her pasture to be turned out. I’m glad this has turned out ok but I know it’s going to be awkward the next time I see the person who was doing Daisy’s morning care.

My other friend called me last night and said I could bring Daisy out to her place on a moment's notice if I ever needed to get her out of there right away for any reason whatsoever. So I'm relieved and not feeling so emotional today. Just hate it when my little world gets messed up like this though.
unsure.gif

Thanks for all your supportive comments, it really helped me feel a lot better
saludando.gif

I thought of something that might be something you'd like, or if not now, maybe at some other time. I know when I got my first horse, a biggie I still have, I didn't really even want anyone else to touch or pet him (and I was in my 20's, not a kid!).

BUT, it might sometime work where you could find someone to share the horse chores in exchange for getting some riding time on her. What made me think of it is that if you ever wanted to do that, and found the right person, then you would both love and truly care about Daisy so no one would "forget" something as important as giving her breakfast.

Another boarder has just found she's got the same problem--horses have not been fed in the mornings either. Many of us are doing a mass exodus from this barn. Seven of us are leaving now at the end of Sept. Too bad as the facility is really nice.

I'm taking her to a friend's private barn. Nothing fancy but it's clean and only 10 minutes from my house. Dais will still have her own pasture and a much bigger stall too. I'll feel better being somewhere I can trust she'll be properly cared for and we can make do with what we've got to work with.
smile.gif

Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too said:
Another boarder has just found she's got the same problem--horses have not been fed in the mornings either.  Many of us are doing a mass exodus from this barn.  Seven of us are leaving now at the end of Sept.  Too bad as the facility is really nice. 
I'm taking her to a friend's private barn.  Nothing fancy but it's clean and only 10 minutes from my house.  Dais will still have her own pasture and a much bigger stall too. I'll feel better being somewhere I can trust she'll be properly cared for and we can make do with what we've got to work with. 
smile.gif

467569[/snapback]

Sounds like a better deal all around for your horse. And you'll be able to see her more often too!

MA

You poor thing! I'm glad you are able to move her to another barn, and being that she's only 10 minutes away you'll be able to see her as much as you want to! Although there are some downsides to having horses on your own property (not as easy to take vacations, go on trips, etc.) I do admit I feel very blessed to have my guys on my property.

Best wishes,

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back