I'm so bummed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joylee123

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I know I'm whining but.... I just got married on Valentines Day ( no that's not what I'm whining about
default_biggrin.png
)[/SIZE]

I just contacted AMHA to see what I needed to send them to change my last name on my registration certificates to my new last name.

They want a copy of my marriage license and [SIZE=18pt]$15.00 a certificate [/SIZE]
default_new_shocked.gif

[SIZE=12pt]I have to submit a transfer for each horse
default_new_shocked.gif
[/SIZE]

Sorta doesn't seem right to have to pay to have a transfer done on a horse I own into my own name
default_wacko.png

I can see a office charge but $15.00 a head
default_new_shocked.gif

No biggie Only $210.00
default_1857272.gif

Joy

I think that's crazy!
default_wacko.png
AMHA should have a fee to reissue you new registrations without you having to tranfer each horse into your new married name!

If they have a copy of your marriage certificate with your name change, that should be enough! Do they want new pix too!
default_new_shocked.gif

Congratulation on your marriage though!
default_biggrin.png

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
We are slowly doing some name changes on our certificates, too. We usually do them at the same time we change from Temp to Perm, etc, so that we don't have to do it twice.

Congrats on your marriage
default_smile.png

O geeze!!! Congrats on the marriage but that seems kinda horrible since they are already your horses!!! Good to know though since I am going to have to do the same by the end of the year. Let me know if it changes!

I'd whine too! That just doesn't seem right.
default_thumbdown.gif

Wow who knew by adding just a lil sticker on the back of papers would need to cost that much. Its not like AMHR when you change anything they give you a whole new registration paper.

I'm curious does that mean if you don't do it then you can't register like future foals because the mares aren't in your new married name? If so thats retarded.

I have no idea if the office views it like this but I look at it this way. The marriage certificate is to prove you are one person in the same; Jane Single to Jane Married. This proves you do not need to buy a separate membership for Jane Married and allows Jane Married authority over Jane Single's paperwork.

The same thing that they do for a regular transfer they do for a name change so why would the office not charge for it? If it cost $15 for the sticker and computer update to transfer a horse from Joe Blow to Dr Phil why should it cost less for a sticker and computer update to change from Jill Single to Jill Married? The office is doing the same amount of work.

Yes it sucks but I understand the rational.

I may be wrong but I think if you submit the marriage license they will change your name and you can proceed with that name on any future foals and transfers. That you do not have to physically change the name on registration papers, that it is only offered if you wish, in which case they are going to charge you the going rate to do so.

Ok what if you decide to just keep using your maiden name for the horses, will they not allow that, is it required that you switch everything to your married name???

You can use both names. I have a friend that kept her maiden name on her mares after she married and then used her new name on foals. It worked!

Might try talking with someone else there? It does sound like alot of money.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you can send in your register papers back and have the color changed with no charge?

So cannot see this sticker costing this much.

But rules are rules
default_sad.png

I feel your frustration. I got a divorce last year and contacted AMHR about my name change. They charge I believe 10.00 per certificate to have it changed. It seemed to be a big problem for them when I called. I tried getting my membership in my new name this year and they said I can't. So they sent them in my old name. Now I packed it all up and sent it back to both AMHR and AMHA along with my divorce papers stating the name change. I am trying to register a new horse in my new name and leave my others till they need to go permanent. Then I would only have to pay for a couple of horses. I also sustained a horse for futurity. Seems odd to me that such big organizations have an issue with something so common as a name change.

Also keep in mind if you show amateur it can screw all that up for certain classes. You definately need those horses in order for it to count. How much you want to bet I will come across problems. At least I have till May before our first show to get it straightened out.

Congratulations on your marriage and I just wanted to let you know I got married on the same day too!
default_biggrin.png
I asked the same thing to AMHR and this is the response I got from them...

[SIZE=10pt]In order to change your last name in our data base, you will need to send a note that you have married and your last name is now Dalsing. You should also send a copy of your marriage certificate. There is no charge for this.[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/COLOR] If you want your husband listed as a co-owner on the horse's certificate, it needs to be done as a transfer. Just write in both your name and your husband's name as buyers - yes you can do an "or" - he does not need a membership - the address, the sale date and sign as the seller. The transfer fee is $15.00 as long as it is processed within six months of the sale date. If more time elapses, the transfer fee is $25.00. Include a copy of the marriage certificate.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]If you want to just leave yourself as the sole owner on the horse's certificate, but change your last name on the certificate, send in the certificate with a note that your [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]last name has changed and include a copy of the marriage certificate. The fee will be $10.00. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Ruth Ann[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]ASPC/AMHR[/SIZE]

I think these charges are kind of steep too especially since I just bought my horses and transferred the paperwork from the original owners within the last year and a half. Seems funny to pay a fee to transfer horses I own- -to myself.
default_wacko.png

I might just leave them the way they are except I don't want to get disqualified at a show because of something stupid like the wrong name on this or that form.
default_frusty.gif

Good luck!

Good lord! That seems outrageous!!
default_thumbdown.gif

Think I'll keep my horses as they are.

Congrats on your marriage!
default_smile.png

Whoa! I hadn't aticipated this. I am also going to be going thru the same thing this year, as I am getting married soon.

Didn't figure it would be such a hassle to change my last name on the horse's registrations!

As far as leaving them in my maiden name....that's OK with me, as long as it doesn't cause any problems. What happens when/if you sell one of them? Legally, you must sell them in your married name. (legal name) but the registrations will show them as being owned by a different name. Potential buyers may be leary of that.
default_unsure.png

Congratulations on your marriage and I just wanted to let you know I got married on the same day too!
default_biggrin.png
I asked the same thing to AMHR and this is the response I got from them...[SIZE=10pt]In order to change your last name in our data base, you will need to send a note that you have married and your last name is now Dalsing. You should also send a copy of your marriage certificate. There is no charge for this.[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/COLOR] If you want your husband listed as a co-owner on the horse's certificate, it needs to be done as a transfer. Just write in both your name and your husband's name as buyers - yes you can do an "or" - he does not need a membership - the address, the sale date and sign as the seller. The transfer fee is $15.00 as long as it is processed within six months of the sale date. If more time elapses, the transfer fee is $25.00. Include a copy of the marriage certificate.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]If you want to just leave yourself as the sole owner on the horse's certificate, but change your last name on the certificate, send in the certificate with a note that your [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]last name has changed and include a copy of the marriage certificate. The fee will be $10.00. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Ruth Ann[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]ASPC/AMHR[/SIZE]

I think these charges are kind of steep too especially since I just bought my horses and transferred the paperwork from the original owners within the last year and a half. Seems funny to pay a fee to transfer horses I own- -to myself.
default_wacko.png

I might just leave them the way they are except I don't want to get disqualified at a show because of something stupid like the wrong name on this or that form.
default_frusty.gif

Good luck!

[SIZE=12pt]Congrats on your wedding! Valentines Day has always been special for us
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

Get this!!! Here is a letter from the same lady that wrote you from AMHR here's what she told me....

[SIZE=12pt] Joy,[/SIZE]

We will need a copy of your marriage certificate, the registration certificates

and a note that your last name needs to be changed. If the certificates have

[SIZE=12pt]drawings rather than pictures, we will need the four required pictures. The[/SIZE]

fee is $20.00 per certificate and you will need a current membership.

Ruth Ann

ASPC/AMHR

Morton, IL 61550

309-263-4044

Congratulations on the wedding!
default_biggrin.png

Wow, that is a lot to change a simple name. I can kind of see the rational, but I would think if you had so many, they might discount for numbers?
default_unsure.png

Thats ridiculous. Last year I changed my name on my membership, and horses and AMHR did not charge me anything. I did it when I renewed my membership and brought my three year old permanent. All I paid for was the renewal and the permanent fee. Ill look and see if I still have the email from AMHR

Sorry to say BUT its all about $$$ with AMHA anymore IMO. And the Association wonders why so many folks are NOT "A" anymore even if their horses have/could be.
default_no.gif

Congratulations to the newlyweds!
default_wub.png

It's not just for name changes they charge either. We had a flood a couple years back and the safe leaked
default_sad.png
So when I pulled all the registration papers out they were a little less than pristine condition! haha I called the office, explained the situation and asked if I could send in the nasty, moldy papers and get new ones....Yep, for $15 each!!! Needless to say, new owners get registration papers in a nice sealed plastic sleeve!

With other associations it is possible to put your married name on your membership, and leave your maiden name on the papers. When you transfer you sign with both names (Jane Single Married) and they are able to track by your membership number because that doesn't change. When I showed Ammy QH I had my membership card and horse's papers, and as long as the membership number matched I was ok. I would think it would be easy enough to do this with AMHA and AMHR as well.
default_unsure.png

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back