I'm so bummed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt]OK... This morning the lady from AMHR wrote me back after I asked what else I could do as the $20.00 fee was so high. This is what she wrote
default_risa8.gif
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Now I will try and see if AMHA will do the same! I'll let you all know![/SIZE]

By the way thank you everyone on your congrats on my marriage! I got me a good one!!!

Joy,

You can leave the registrations in your former name, but send a copy of your marriage

certificate to us with a note that your last name needs to be changed. We will get that

changed in the system and then when you register foals, you can register them in your

new name. There is no charge for this. And if you happen to do any work with the

certificates that are in your old name, they will automatically go back to you in your

new name.

Ruth Ann

ASPC/AMHR

I got married a couple of years ago and here's what I did:

Contacted the AMHR office, to notify them I changed my name. I don't think I even sent in a marriage certificate.

I opted to keep my maiden name on current paperwork, as my name was changed in the system and linked with my member number. I would have had to pay a fee to change any paperwork.

Any new business, transfers, new registrations, whatever now reflect my new name change.

It's not that big of a deal, unless you really want everything changed on your papers, and in that case you do have to pay fees.

Andrea

So cannot see this sticker costing this much.
default_wink.png
Of course it's not "just" for the sticker, our office staff is paid for by making money off of our registration applications, transfers and so on. It cost the association the same amount of money, time and resources to do a name change as it does a actual transfer. What should they charge? $10? $5? Free?

When I got married I never transferred one horse into my new name. I never seen any good reason to "give" my money away to the association. I have never had an issue with it. All my foals were registered in my married name and I've never had an eyebrow raised at my maiden name on the original group of horses.

OK!

I bought my mare when my last name was Kellogg in 2006...

I bought my stallion with my married name Hellebuyck in 2008...

NEVER changed my name to my married name on any horse yet

And my 2009 foal from this cross is under my married name, Hellebuyck.

I never thought of changing my name or even looked into doing so...

On another note:

As far as anything goes when it comes to my minis, I already have a "bill of sale" made out in our safe cause my hubbys name is NOT on anyones registrations. So if something EVER happens to me, Everyone already has paperwork filled out except the buyers name and the date. That way it's easy to transfer a horse to the new owner. And NO my hubby will not ever contact either registry to let them know that something happend to me (wont think of it cause the mini thing is not his thing). So I guess most likely if something dose happen to me, it will be during the yr while Im still a member to each reg. The only thing the buyer would have to do is make sure they put that horse(s) in their name asap before membership renewals. That way my dead butt is covered when it comes to my hubby selling or giving away my minis IF something was to ever happen to me.
default_wub.png

[SIZE=12pt]OK... This morning the lady from AMHR wrote me back after I asked what else I could do as the $20.00 fee was so high. This is what she wrote
default_risa8.gif
[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Now I will try and see if AMHA will do the same! I'll let you all know![/SIZE]

By the way thank you everyone on your congrats on my marriage! I got me a good one!!!

Joy,

You can leave the registrations in your former name, but send a copy of your marriage

certificate to us with a note that your last name needs to be changed. We will get that

changed in the system and then when you register foals, you can register them in your

new name. There is no charge for this. And if you happen to do any work with the

certificates that are in your old name, they will automatically go back to you in your

new name.

Ruth Ann

ASPC/AMHR
That is good news, thanks for sharing, I find they have always been fair.

So glad to hear they are looking into helping you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just was an opinion on why not free, if color change is.

Not sure what US law says but here there is no need to change your name, you are not automatically required to be in your husbands name and there is nothing "legal" or "Illegal" about it.

I presume you will have discussed this with your husband but, even if you wish to publicly adopt your husbands name you are quite free to continue using your birth name for legal purposes....

Not sure what US law says but here there is no need to change your name, you are not automatically required to be in your husbands name and there is nothing "legal" or "Illegal" about it.I presume you will have discussed this with your husband but, even if you wish to publicly adopt your husbands name you are quite free to continue using your birth name for legal purposes....
In Ontario Canada, I have never changed my name on my Social Insurance Number.

[SIZE=12pt]OK I contacted AMHA this morning and asked them the question differently, I asked them If I HAD TO change my certificates into my new name. AMHA finally contacted me back this afternoon. I guess I must have asked the question incorrectly but they certainly didn't elaborate to explain the different ways it can be done. I had told them I had just gotten married and how to go about changing my registration certificates, not If I had to change my certificates so I guess it's my fault for not covering all the questions I should have asked
default_wacko.png
[/SIZE]

This is what they wrote today.

You don’t have to change your name on the paperwork right away. You will need to send in a copy of your marriage license so we can have that on record. As the horses are updated we can change the names and on foals once you send in the marriage license.

When you do send in the paperwork please make sure to attach a note to update your name so we will be sure to catch it.

Thanks.

Christy Scott

[SIZE=12pt]Sorry If I've caused any confusion or panic for those of you like Dona who are about to take the leap! BTW Congratulations Dona![/SIZE]

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Joy
default_blush.png

Latest posts

Back