Im promoting the Breed!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini~Lover

Reaction score
Im making a poster thats going to be at the fair telling people that minis are horses too! Just smaller! Heres what I have so far. Please tell me if this is right and what I should add. Maybe some info about carts? I may need some info on that since I dont drive yet. Thanks!!!!!

Height: 28in. to 34in. They can’t be over 34in. to register.

Visit the American Miniature Horse Association at AMHA.com!

Color: Any

Origin: In Western Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries.

Weight: 200-300lbs. Foals weigh 15 to 18lbs. at birth.

Care: All health and care habits are the same for a mini, as it is for any full size horse, except you feed LESS of course.

Carts and Driving: A Miniature horse can pull 2 adults confortably.(need something more, any ideas?)

I need something about, "why own a miniature horse" thats what most people will be thinking, i need to have an answer on my poster. any ideas?

Miniature horses were originally bred to work in the coal mines.

The AMHR horse can be up to 38 inches at the withers, while AMHA can only go to 34 inches.

A miniature horse can pull more pound for pound then a draft horse.

The are usually better tempered and cuddly then big horses, and their attitudes usually work well for nursing homes and such.

I use the following for handouts, it's on my webpage

http://www.geocities.com/wynnsfollymini/TheAMH.html

copyright 1997, Wynn's Folly Minis

When I prepare for anything with our club, I print it off, and print a contact list of club memberson the back for distribution. I also keep copies along with copies of the brochures from each registry to hand out to visitors.

you might check the AMHR site, and see if you can print off copies of the brochures

if you have a little time, you can call both registry offices for literature to hand out. they are quite good at making up packages for fairs and exhibits. the last one we did, I wound up decorating the walls of the booth with the various brochures.

Here is the information I put on and a not good picture of the poster. I will try to take a better one later as Jamie wants one.

It is hard to know what information to keep in or cut out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/lil...adie/poster.jpg

The Miniature Horse is not so much a breed as a size registry. A miniature horse must measure 38 inches or less as an adult (age3-5). It is possible for a Shetland pony to also be registered as a miniature horse if it fits the requirements.

Division "A" miniature horses measure only 34" or less at the withers (last hairs in the mane) and division "B" miniatures from 34" to 38".

The history of the miniature horse is varied and traces to several sources. Miniature horses were used in England & Northern Europe as far back as the 1700's to pull ore carts in the coal mines. They were also bred by European royalty as pets for the royal children.

The "SMALLEST" pony in history was a stallion named "Little Pumpkin." He stood 14 inches and weighed only 20 pounds!

There are two main registries for these horses. The AMHA (American Miniature Horse Association) only allows horses up to 34 inches tall, while AMHR (American Miniature Horse Registry) allows up to 38 inches.

Both the AMHR and the AMHA have sanctioned shows, including National Shows, where today's miniatures can be shown in halter and showmanship classes, or compete in performance classes, such as driving, jumping, and obstacle.

The conformation of a miniature horse should be like that of a correct full sized horse. They should have straight legs, straight teeth and a overall proportioned look.

The mares have the same gestation period as the full size horse- (11 months or 340-345 days average).

And they can be under 28, as well. Though generally under that and it is increasingly difficult to get correct proportions, but it has been done.

Thanks all! I made my poster extra colorful so it would stand out! Hopefully people will know more about minis when they read this. So many people think of them as no-good-pets. Well, Ill prove them wrong! Thanks again!

"The "SMALLEST" pony in history was a stallion named "Little Pumpkin." He stood 14 inches and weighed only 20 pounds!"

I would leave out statements such as this. It's just "heresay".... I have seen many different "Dwarfs" on display at County & State Fairs, billed as "Smallest Horse in the World". (according to WHO?)
wacko.gif
They ALL seem to be the "Smallest"...
laugh.gif
....and one of them was actually 30" tall! Shoot.....I've seen a lot of show-quality minis much smaller than that! (people will do anything to make a buck!
rolleyes.gif
)

I've seen many Dwarfs...but have yet to see an adult Dwarf as small as 14"! It may have been 14" at birth...but the "claims" never say that. They just "infer" that the adult horse was 14". Statements such at these will only give false impressions to people.

I think you should stick to the FACTS & show photos of nice "quality" minis...short & tall, and in various colors...to show their diversity & beauty!
yes.gif

I can't read what it says....but your poster looks very nice.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe to go with some other posts lately, you could add how they are smart, & can be taught many things, even tricks, can even be like big dogs.. But they are not dogs, they are horses! & a just as much respondsability(sp?) if not more!
yes.gif
thats MO

minis are not mesured at the withers, but at the last hair on the neck, it macks a difference, it puts my friends mini fromd a B devion(sp?) to a A, minis are the only breed mesured at the end of the main.. not the withers
yes.gif

Mini~Lover said:
I need something about, "why own a miniature horse"  thats what most people will be thinking, i need to have an answer on my poster.  any ideas?
433551[/snapback]

One of the benefits of minis over big horses is that you can feed up to 6 minis for what it would cost to feed 1 big horse. Of course this depends on the size of the mini. Don't forget though that vaccinations and most other vet care is the same as for a big horse.

Because of their small size, minis are also obviously easier to handle and move than a big horse.

Latest posts

Back