I'm not sure how to feel right now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
I got a call this evening from my Mom saying that my sister is in the hospital. She has been having her period constantly for the last year or so. In the last 40 days it has been very heavy and she has been in ALOT of pain. She had the gastric bypass surgery about a year and a half ago and she has had issues ever since. But since she is on medi-cal the doctors are slow to do anything. They had determined that she had a cyst on one of her ovaries but said that it looked normal. Well I guess today the pain got so bad that she ended up going to the ER. They did a sonogram and there was a few cysts on her other ovary now. They said they look abnormal so now they are doing blood work to determine if it is cancer. She is receiving two blood transfusions this evening because she was so low. I am really scared now. My sister and I have never been close but the thought of losing her is pretty unconceivable. My Aunt told me that ovarian cancer is not curable. Is this true? To top it off they have put her on morphine and since she is a recovery addict that is NOT GOOD! But I guess the pain was so bad that they had to. I am going to drive my Mom to the hospital tomorrow so that we can both see my sister. Hopefully the test results will be in. It is over 2 hours away.

Anybody have any experience with ovarian cancer? Could the cysts be something else?

Thank you for listening.

I just really needed to talk. My husband asked if I wanted to talk but I just didn't know what to say. It's easier to write at a time like this.

I don't have any kind of experience with this, but I do know that you and sister will need
default_pray.gif

Hugs to you!

Hi Brandi,

I'm sorry you are going through this. I too have a sister that had gastric bypass surgery. She was losing so much blood they had to transfuse her on more than one occasion. Here it is a year later and she finally is going for surgery to have her ovaries taken out and also they will take any lymph nodes down around that area. So their situations sound very similar. Next Monday she finally goes in for surgery. A full year after her symptoms started. So, I too am scared.

All we can do is pray for the best and be there to support them when they are done with their surgery.

Keep your chin up
default_yes.gif
and PM me if you like.

Brandi --

I will be keeping your sister, you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything is going to be okay!

Jill

I'm thinking of you and your sister. Be strong and remain positive. She needs her family to be strong for her right now. Treatments for all kinds of cancer have come a long way and continue to do so. The best thing you can do to help her is be there for her. It may not be the bad news you are thinking about either.

keep us posted and I'm thinking of you and your family.

xox Leonie xox

Cyst are not the same as cancer.( although cancer can look like cyst) Many women have cystic ovaries. The are very painful but can be treated with hormones or surgery.

Ovarian cancer can be treated if caught early ( generally ovarian cancer hits older women)

Note I am not a doctor but had a simular scare a year ago and did tons of research. (Ended up being endometriousis)

IF it is cancer - and it's obviously too soon to tell, it's always been my belief that if it's in a removable organ there's always reason for hope. Keep your chin up.....there's lots of time for worry when and if the time comes for it.

Brandi, Debbie.........Sending you both good thoughts and prayers for your sisters........Blessings.

Exactly! Ovaries can be removed, cancer goes too then they would treat with Radiation and Chemo to eradicate anything left behind just in case. Obviously the sooner they catch it the better but it is that way with any cancer.

Prayers are with you.

I don't have any advice for you but you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers (hugs)

They didnt have to give her morphine. Did they know she was a recovering addict?

That said I knew somebody that had the same problem. Eventually they took everything out. Shes been fine ever since.

If I were here I would asked to have it done. They are not going to stop bleeding.

Brandi Sorry about your sister. I had ovarian cancer 23 years ago I had surgery and was on chemo for seven mo. and been cancer free for 23 yrs. So your Aunt is wrong. Will say prayer for your sister and you and the family. Alice

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and prayers
default_wub.png

My Mom and I drove about 3 hours to see my sister today. She was pretty out of it because of the meds they have her on. We waited most of the day for the doctor to come. He finally came in this afternoon and gave us the results of the CA-125 blood test. He said that the levels were very low and that as far as he could tell there is NO sign of cancer anywhere
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
He also said that the bleeding has nothing to do with the cysts on her ovaries. He said it has to do with her uterus (makes sense). Since she is on medicare and previously had scheduled a gyno appointment for this wed he said that he would give her meds to stop the bleeding and pain killer to hold her over until then. He said if she didn't have that appointment scheduled he would just go ahead and do a hysterectomy. But he doesn't want to take a chance of medicare not paying for it. He said it's important to go through the proper channels. So for now the outcome doesn't look so bad. I am just so very thankful

Here is a pic of her and I from today. She hasn't been able to stop losing weight since her gastric bypass surgery. And I was wrong in my first post. It has been 2 and a half years since her surgery...not 1 and a half. We had a nice time visiting today even though the circumstances weren't the greatest. She was in good spirits and her dry sense of humor was in tact
default_rolleyes.gif

DSC07025.jpg

Brandi it hurts me to see your poor sister looking so weak, but I am thrilled to hear it's not cancer.
default_aktion033.gif
I'll continue to send good thoughts her way.

Glad to hear the good news.

Brandi it hurts me to see your poor sister looking so weak,
She doesn't look good, but I'm sure the pain and/or meds has alot to do with it.

Will be keeping her and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Latest posts

Back