I'm new..need some advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholle

Reaction score
I'm green when it comes to minis. I'm picking up my 4 month old mini mare in two weeks. I have a Chevy avalanche pick up.. can I put her in the back seat? Seller has just informed me that she too is green..has not been handed my any human. I'm starting to get concerned.. I have had regular horse's. But they were both adults..bomb proof . I have already paid in full. Please someone help me with..first ..transportation ideas.. second.. what should I expect from her..being so young and green.

I would line the back seat with a tarp and shavings, bring along another person, but first spend time with the youngster getting to know it, find some kind of treat it likes carrots, apple slices, mints , mine love wintergreen mints, be very gentle and plan on spending an hour or two with it then gently lift it into the truck , make sure your helper can reach it and talk to it to keep the baby calm,this may or not work but it may work, how long a drive back home is it.
I have transported mine in my van a baby mini donk, you may be surprised how calm they are in there, the donk was never handled either,
If you feel safe tieing it do so, or just let the other person hold the lead, safer to tie so it don't jump all over . Good Luck. Make sure to get a bit of the food she is feeding that can be used as a treat too.

Thank you. It's a 3.5 hour drive. All of your advice is very helpful. I love that ..the mint treats..never heard that before.

I would not. If she isn't handled she isn't halter broke so someone holding her is not going to work. Neither is tying her. The first time you halter a horse it fights. They pull, they resist, sometimes they flip over, sometimes they panic badly. Sometimes they just stand there but a back seat is not a good place to find that out, it's not a secure place to stand. it's spongy and what if she falls off it and gets stuck? Unless you are handy enough to make a flat platform that is solid enough to hold her and has no gaps a little hoof can fall in. If you have a cap on the truck and put her in the bed, that would sound safer. Or a goat crate. Even an extra large dog crate could work, depending on size. A van is good.

My truck has tonneau covers, I have access to xxl crate. But unfortunately up here in Kingston Ontario Canada..mother nature has dropped our temperature down to 32, I would worry that she would freeze. Thank you for your advice. Its probably a better idea to rent a van, put down a rubber mat, shavings and bring my cousin. I have witnessed a regular size horse, freak out and it wasnt pretty.

She's 4 months old, she isn't going to freeze, unless she's been clipped close all over (she would have been handled for that).

If you could get a van I think it would be the best option. Sometimes they act like nothing is a big deal. But without her being handled you won't know what to expect and that is a long trip to find out she is one that gets upset easily. And with your cousin in the back at least she will have some sort of company. If you had to use the crate on a warm ish day, you can take a comforter, lay it over the top and 3 sides, and ratchet strap it down well. It won't flap if you do it right, and it leaves enough air without the wind hitting her full blast.

Well I just checked prices..van rental 20.00.. .59 per kilometer..$520.00..holy crap.. for that I might as well have a carrier built for the truck bed.. I guess I should have thought about this sooner.. Thank you to everyone, I'm sure its frustrating to you advanced horse people seeing these stupid questions from new equine enthusiasts..

So..I'm buying a xxl carrier. Wish me luck..I will post pictures of her once she's home safe. I will just watch the weather..pick the best day for the trip.

She is precious cargo, are you going to be able to accustom her to a crate before the big travel day? :You do not want a freaked out horse while traveling down a highway. If it were me I would spend some time asking around for someone who would loan you their trailer, if she freaked out she would have plenty of room to be safe in there. Sorry for being negative and grumpy but I am trying to be helpful knowing that this horse is green, you want a happy ending. Is it possible the seller could work with some training for the horse for you? I do sincerely wish you good luck.

Do you have a friend or neighbor with a horse trailer? You can always build a smaller pen out of scrap lumber for a big horse trailer. That's how we've always hauled ours. Are there any FaceBook mini horse groups in your area. People are often very willing to help new mini owners transport/train their minis.

Their small size sometimes tricks people into not thinking about them as horses. But since you know horses you know that putting a green weanling into a situation that it has never been in at the same time you separate it from it's current herd will result in stress and reaction. You would transport a full size colt in a horse trailer and, with this little one, I'd say that's your best and safest option.

Let us know how it goes. We'd love to see pictures when you guys get safely home :)

I hope the hauling will go well for you. I agree a trailer would be your safest option. Is this xxl crate a dog crate, one of the wire ones? If so, I would really caution against that. A mini foal is not the same as a large dog and I could see her demolishing that carrier if she gets upset during the process.

What kind of fencing do you have at home? Will this baby be the only horse on the property? Be prepared to have some difficulty getting her settled in if she is the only horse--she is a young foal and will not be used to being alone.

Last edited:
She is precious cargo, are you going to be able to accustom her to a crate before the big travel day? :You do not want a freaked out horse while traveling down a highway. If it were me I would spend some time asking around for someone who would loan you their trailer, if she freaked out she would have plenty of room to be safe in there. Sorry for being negative and grumpy but I am trying to be helpful knowing that this horse is green, you want a happy ending. Is it possible the seller could work with some training for the horse for you? I do sincerely wish you good luck.
No..thank you..I can get a trailer..I'm just worried that with her being so little..that she would be thrown around in there.. I just want her home safe..poor little girl..its going to be a rough day for her.. leaving her mom..strange new human...

With a young one I make sure the trailer has good footing, like rubber matts, on the floor and I do NOT tie them in the trailer. This way they can find a stance they are comfortable in (usually facing the back of the trailer) and if they do fall down they can get back up without a rope in the way or possibly breaking their neck. They are pretty dang good at staying on their feet as long as you aren't an Indy Car driver ;)

Do you have a friend or neighbor with a horse trailer? You can always build a smaller pen out of scrap lumber for a big horse trailer. That's how we've always hauled ours. Are there any FaceBook mini horse groups in your area. People are often very willing to help new mini owners transport/train their minis.

Their small size sometimes tricks people into not thinking about them as horses. But since you know horses you know that putting a green weanling into a situation that it has never been in at the same time you separate it from it's current herd will result in stress and reaction. You would transport a full size colt in a horse trailer and, with this little one, I'd say that's your best and safest option.

Let us know how it goes. We'd love to see pictures when you guys get safely home :)

Thank you, everyone has been so kind and given my wonderful advice. I truly appreciate it

Wondering if you have your horse home now to love on.

Wondering if you have your horse home now to love on.
No..I was going to get her on the weekend..but to my horror..10am on that Saturday..I had a large Fisher cat thing..200 ft from my back door.. in the exact location of where I'm clearing for her pasture.. I have been scrabbling to get trappers out..and finally heard back from the ministry of natural resources who basically don't care..said I shouldn't worry..It was probably just passing through and that its probably long gone.. needless to say I'm trying to build fort Knox.. But I'm going as soon as I have everything overly secure..

My new baby is home.. not one part of the plan was used... trailer back out on me at the last minute.. but I had a xxxl dog crate.. make a long story short.. miss Oreo Cookie . Ended up riding in the back seat of my Cadillac Escalade ext..seats folded flay..I had the rubber mate for the truck bed.. it was a 4.5 hour drive..I was scared..but she was a angel..no accidents.. quiet..only thing was..she wanted the back window open.when I closed it..she let me know .. and head half out..So you can just imagine the attention she got going through Toronto..lol.. broader was odd.. sold her at just a week shy of 3 months..I have a good vet..and horse friends..I'm in love

Attachments

• 20190512_075858.jpg
    20190512_075858.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back