I'm looking for a driving bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceyHorse

Reaction score
I am looking for a driving bit for my cat B mini. I was bidding for one in an auction and missed out by $3! :eek: I was so disapointed because it is exactly what I want. It is a Low Port Mouth Snaffle with inlaid copper strips and I think the brand was "Kelly Bits and Spurs" I think I want a 3.5" but possibly might need 3.75". Is there anyone who can tell me where I can get one of these or similar. I was so disapointed to miss out on the one I was bidding on and can't seem to find the contact details of the person selling it or I would email them and find out if they had anymore! Thanks

:saludando: I think I know what you are talking about:

Link

If you scroll down I think that might be them? Hopefully :bgrin & it comes in 3 1/2, 3 3/4, & 4"
default_smile.png

Ashley

I would suggest trying Double Diamond for they carry some nice bits with inlaid copper strips. Mary

I am looking for a driving bit for my cat B mini. I was bidding for one in an auction and missed out by $3! :eek: I was so disapointed because it is exactly what I want. It is a Low Port Mouth Snaffle with inlaid copper strips and I think the brand was "Kelly Bits and Spurs" I think I want a 3.5" but possibly might need 3.75". Is there anyone who can tell me where I can get one of these or similar. I was so disapointed to miss out on the one I was bidding on and can't seem to find the contact details of the person selling it or I would email them and find out if they had anymore! Thanks

:aktion033: Yes thats the one, thanks! That site is great I'm going to go back and see what else I can find! Next question...Has anyone here used the Kelly Low Port Mouth Snaffle, whats the feedback?

Oh no!! That was you bidding on my auction! :new_shocked: Sorry you missed out, I only had them for sale because I had to order 2 more after the first lot went missing, then of course, when the second lot were on their way, the first lot turned up!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: Typical!!

If it's a problem for you to get them in yourself, email me and I can get some more. :bgrin

I bought a Kelly bit for my filly to start her in. NEVER AGAIN will I ever buy that brand, nor will I ever tell anyone to buy it. They are very cheap bits and I wish I had never bought one. The horse didn't like the normal jointed snaffle and I couldn't find anyone who had a 3.5" french link in stock. So, I purchased a new Kelly bit for her thinking she'd like it and it would work great until I could get a 3.5" french link. She used it a few times and all was well. I was long lining her a few weeks ago and the bit snapped. This filly never pulled, I didn't pull and there was no reason for the bit to break. It snapped near the roller and as the bit fell out of her mouth, it sliced her and I've had to start from square 1 again. She's a "nervous nelly" anyways, so the bit snapping and the sharp edge slicing her mouth open really set her back.

My experiance was anything but good with the brand of bit. Maybe I just got a faulty one, but I know I won't be buying anything more from that brand to find out
default_wacko.png
:

~Jen~

:bgrin lol its a small world, if its not too much trouble that would be great, I'll send you an email.

My friend uses the low port and loves it! I am using the mullen barrel on my horses and they love these bits!

Courtney

p.s. and they are cheap enough that if your horse doesn't like it you are not out a ton of money
default_wink.png
:

I bought a Kelly bit for my filly to start her in. NEVER AGAIN will I ever buy that brand, nor will I ever tell anyone to buy it. They are very cheap bits and I wish I had never bought one. The horse didn't like the normal jointed snaffle and I couldn't find anyone who had a 3.5" french link in stock. So, I purchased a new Kelly bit for her thinking she'd like it and it would work great until I could get a 3.5" french link. She used it a few times and all was well. I was long lining her a few weeks ago and the bit snapped. This filly never pulled, I didn't pull and there was no reason for the bit to break. It snapped near the roller and as the bit fell out of her mouth, it sliced her and I've had to start from square 1 again. She's a "nervous nelly" anyways, so the bit snapping and the sharp edge slicing her mouth open really set her back. My experiance was anything but good with the brand of bit. Maybe I just got a faulty one, but I know I won't be buying anything more from that brand to find out

~Jen~
WOW!! What bad luck! I must say, I was quite impressed with the quality of the ones I have, they certainly appear to be well-made little bits, and so far I haven't had any issues using them.

You may well have gotten a faulty one, which of course can happen even with more expensive items, but I can understand your reluctance to try another!

I bought a Kelly bit for my filly to start her in. NEVER AGAIN will I ever buy that brand, nor will I ever tell anyone to buy it. They are very cheap bits and I wish I had never bought one. The horse didn't like the normal jointed snaffle and I couldn't find anyone who had a 3.5" french link in stock. So, I purchased a new Kelly bit for her thinking she'd like it and it would work great until I could get a 3.5" french link. She used it a few times and all was well. I was long lining her a few weeks ago and the bit snapped. This filly never pulled, I didn't pull and there was no reason for the bit to break. It snapped near the roller and as the bit fell out of her mouth, it sliced her and I've had to start from square 1 again. She's a "nervous nelly" anyways, so the bit snapping and the sharp edge slicing her mouth open really set her back.

My experiance was anything but good with the brand of bit. Maybe I just got a faulty one, but I know I won't be buying anything more from that brand to find out
default_wacko.png
:

~Jen~

I've heard of that happening Jen
default_unsure.png
: , & it worried me waaaay too much so I gave in and bought a myler, knowing until I found the right myler I could sell the other ones that I tried & get my money back. I was AMAZED how well made my myler is! I have the comfort snaffle & will recommend it to anyone who wants to start a greenie
default_yes.gif
: . So sorry that your girl had to suffer that scare
default_sad.png

BUT Anna if you want to try these bits still I'ld say test in in your hands first just in case, I know people who love these bits but I just really don't like taking chances I can afford to avoid, which is what I did this time, but good luck to you & I hope this works out for you
default_yes.gif
: .

p.s. and they are cheap enough that if your horse doesn't like it you are not out a ton of money
Courtney is right about them not costing a lot of money, but keep in mind you can also resell a bit that doesn't work. Good Luck though!

Here's what can happen with these bits, & what did happen to Jen
default_sad.png
:

LINK

Ashley :saludando:

Yikes! Thanks for the warnings, gosh this is really putting me off getting a Kelly bit now, I'm such a worry wart as it is. I would hate for that to happen to my wee man. Darn I though I had found a cheaper alternative to a Myler, maybe I should just keep saving......

[SIZE=12pt]I prefer the Mylers too. But I have noticed several of the mini Kelly's selling on EBAY for around $19.00[/SIZE]

Joy

Here's what can happen with these bits, & what did happen to Jen :LINK
I did see this, however I wonder if that is in fact a Kelly or another cheaper alternative?? Because the ones I have don't look quite like that? They appear to be better built in the middle.

Either way, I am going to try for a true Myler as well, then I can compare for myself.
default_smile.png

After the last few shows where one of the vendors had Kelly bits and having bought a Myler this spring I'm finally in a position to make a comparison. I bought the Myler because my friend had one, my horse loved it, and I didn't want to wait and try the cheaper version and risk that it might not be as good. I was VERY pleased with the construction of the Myler when I got it and have continued to be pleased with it ever since. I finally got my hands on the Kelly bits at an AMHR show and had mixed emotions. On the one hand I was disappointed in the construction of the knockoff bits as I'd been hoping they were a viable alternative, but on the other hand I was relieved that I hadn't wasted my money when I bought that Myler!
default_wacko.png
:

The construction looks superficially the same in pictures but in person the Kelly bits are clunky and the joints and rollers are MUCH larger. They don't move anywhere near the same as the Mylers either; I tried the one that looks just like my Myler low port mullen mouth and while the sides spun around the same as on my bit the action was nonexistant. It was just a solid bar in the horse's mouth with no independent side action at all and it had a completely straight mouthpiece instead of a nice tongue-relieving curve like even a good snaffle should have. I also didn't trust the look of the metal.

There were one or two models that I actually would buy as they approximate a good French Link bit (like this one) but most of them were junk. Possibly better junk than some of the other mini bits you can find out there for cheap, but still junk. I'd say to go ahead and buy them as starter bits but that story of the one breaking and slicing the mare's tongue really bothers me. I'd rather use one of the eggbutt French Links that are available for most of my driving while I saved up to buy a Myler. The Weaver snaffle bits are less than $20 and are good, curved, small-jointed snaffles, you could use those too. I bought mine from Chimacum Tack (www.horsedriver.com) and my Myler from Estate Horse Supply, the one Ashley linked to.

Leia

Thanks for that Leia, it helps to have an opinion from someone who has compared the two closely :bgrin

Latest posts

Back