I'm feeling sick - scammers called me(LONG)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you didn't fall for it. Sadly my grandparents did. Then the scammer tried to call back for more money from them.

dreamlandnh, I am so sorry your grandparents were scammed. It sucks that it is the kind hearted people who are being taken in by these people and once the money is sent there is no recourse at all. I wish our police departments could do something that would really help put a stop to this but there is just so little they can really do.

Ha, just since this post started I have spoken with others who have either received or know someone who received a call like this... and yes, some do fall for it. People need to stop and think before blindly sending funds- especially if they are 'stuck in a foreign country' as some claim to be. There are a TON of scams going on now, including being scammed by people who 'befriend' you on some type of social media and even on employment sites.

Here is some great info on scams and the 'hot things' that are going on right now. Believe it or not, in my job of handling various types of credit card fraud, I cant believe how many people actually get sucked in.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/financial_scams/financial_scams_3155.html

For our land-line I did the government 'do not call list' which seemed to help. Also, I don't give that number to any entity unless they're pretty trustworthy (i.e, banks and such.) The only telemarketer/evil person that's called me recently (last year or so) is the random-dial one with the loud boat horn (twice in maybe 6 months.) That one sucks, because it's a recording so yelling at it does no good.

I actually have call display and don't answer numbers I don't recognize. The problem is I have a friend who's number doesn't show it just says Private Caller and depending on which line he uses when my husband calls from work it shows that way too so when this call came in and I saw private caller I didn't think twice about answering.

I hate scams! This happened to someone my mom new and she fell for it
default_sad.png
I had listed one of my mares forsale on craiglsist earlier in 2012 and got an email saying

"Hello, My name is ____ _____ I'm a National Geographer and I'd like to send this item to my son from Russia. I'm busy so I can't call or meet you in person, so I can pay you and you can ship the item to my son. Just give me your address, Paypal number and name and credit card number."

I didn't reply, but was just thinking "Seriously? You are defiantly a scammer. Moving on!"

I read that scammers will say they can't contact you or see you in person, and they usually say they're from another country--NEVER give your personal info out!!

Latest posts

Back