Illinois to allow minis as Service Animals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attempting to do the same in NH and VT..big mistake....horses would be put into the same catagory as dogs and cats which means mandatory rabies,licenses, registering. They word it in a way it sounds good....but if you really read what they are attempting it would be a huge mistake....IMO it must be stopped

For those reasons and the fact that it's an extremely unnatural life for a horse to be a service animal; being at the constant call and service to humans is only a job for one or two species of animal...certainly not a horse...a prey animal.

For those reasons and the fact that it's an extremely unnatural life for a horse to be a service animal; being at the constant call and service to humans is only a job for one or two species of animal...certainly not a horse...a prey animal.
Exactly!! Horrible decision. People, and horses, will end up hurt or worse.

When I saw that my jaw dropped. What gets me the most is that the people who passed this law most likely have NO idea about how a horse's mind works, or general horse care. This is certainly a case of the blind leading the blind!

Yes, saw the article yesterday; wondered when it would be mentioned here.

Imagine we all know who is 'pushing' this; reference is made in the article. Sadly, a case of what I would imagine is aggressive promotion of something that most people really don't know enough about to make a sensible decision(various state legislators, etc.)'Someone' expects to benefit from this, but we who really 'know' horses know that it ultimately will NOT be the horses, or those who are fooled into believing that a horse can be the kind of 'all-around' service animal that a dog can be.

Margo

I can not imagine using a horse as a service animal.

I would love to see the "bio" on the decision makers or those who provided the information with regard to a miniature horse, that allowed them to make this decision.

Don't people using service animals have to ride in cars,on buses, on trains, in taxis....etc., as well as walking........... ......or in the case of a frightened miniature horse, being dragged???? Totally ludicrous.

I am contacting my representative(s) as soon as I get off this site. I live in Illinois and won't let this go without my doing what I can.

This makes no sense to me. A horse is a prey animal. Natural instinct for horses is fight or flight when scared. I am all for them going into nursing homes or hospitals because they have capable handlers but the idea of a mini leading a blind person accross the street in traffic just does not seem the slightest bit safe to me.

I am contacting my representative(s) as soon as I get off this site. I live in Illinois and won't let this go without my doing what I can.
For those of you writing to your representatives, since it was mentioned in the "report" about the Guidehorse Foundation's web site content, I think it may be helpful to send them the link to the Guidehorseno.com web site too, so they can read up on "the other side of the coin"! www.guidehorseno.com

I wasn't going to comment on this because frankly I'm disgusted it passed the Senate vote, but since I see there's still time to contact my rep I guess I will. For years I have been fighting the misconception that our minis are like dogs. Just because they are smaller does not mean that they are any less a horse in their behavior or instincts. I am writing a letter to our rep for District 90 right now, but I encourage anyone with the free time to pick a name off the list and send a letter:

http://ilga.gov/house/

I have owned many German Shepherds and many miniature horses. I would unquestionably take the shepherd ANYTIME over a horse as a guide.

The comment, "This is a case of the blind leading the blind" is THE BEST I have heard !

Last edited by a moderator:
default_thumbup.gif
Be sure to let us know if you hear anything back from them Mary Lou.

Anyone who has knowledge of horses and has a brain knows that a mini would NOT be a safe service animal. Obviously the legislature who voted on this have neither,

That website giving the "other side" is excellent. Hope it's read.

They did NOT discuss the REAL issue and that's the "fight or flight instinct of a horse versus a dog! AAARRRGGG.

All of us (I assume) own miniature horses on this site. Be honest - would you trust your minis to guide you? I love my guys, but I have to say no!

Liz N.

Definitely NOT Liz!!

One thing I noticed in the video...the lady insisted that the mini that she dined next to was "hoiuse trained", but just because it did not relieve itself while she was there, does not mean it is housebroken. It's like saying a 6 month old baby is potty trained because he/she didn't happen to mess in their diaper while we were there!

Latest posts

Back