If You Were Buying a New T.V.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
What type would you get? LCD, Plasma, Projection, etc., and what's the difference (nothing technical, just basic stuff and which is better)? Do you have a favourite store that you would shop at, or one that you definitely wouldn't? Do you have a favourite brand?

Seems to me it wasn't all that long ago that you could walk into your local walmart or whatever and just pick the size and brand you want. Now it's so high-tech, it makes me feel ancient! :)

Thanks for any input you can provide.

We just went through this, and ended up with a LCD. The plasmas can have a glare issue if its near a window, the projections, can look dim in certain light. We have a 52" Phillips LCD, its nice, the color is awesome, is very easy to use etc.

I have kids and Plasma Tv's are glass, so we decided against that plus I have a lot of windows. Go to the store actually several of them, as they all have different lighting situations, physically look at each TV. And decide which one you like the best.

We got ours from Costco, they had the best price, they also had pretty much each of them side by side so I could compare them easily.

You also want the 1080I, it has something to do with clarity and picture quality.

Karen

Last edited by a moderator:
cant add much to the previous post but I too have been looking . LCD an if it is over 40 inches 120hrz monitor refresh. I have been told it has to do with the size of the screen and is only on the wider screens. It makes a difference in action programs, sports and such. Even costco told me that as well as best buy.

Bought a new TV yesterday as a matter of fact. We went with LCD. Picture was so much better than plasma and with the new ones you can play the video games on them and it does not damage them but it still does do damage to the plasma. We are so happy with this tv!!! OMG!! And, the picture is amazing, just like standing right there looking at what ever it is on the screen I Swear!

And, we would never buy any tv except Mitsubishi, they are the leaders in TV technologies. We bought a 73in wide screen, LCD HD1080. I just want to stay home and watch it! LOL the 1080 is the amount of pixels per inch. Standard is like 480 so this is a huge leap. And we got ours at Fry's but i don't think there is a Fry's up there. Best Buy is a wonderful place to get them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few months back they had a story about how to go about buying a new tv and I THOUGHT i heard anything over 40" go Plasma, under LCD. But could have that backwards. We were shopping in Walmart the other day and looking at tvs, cause at some point soon will have to get a new one(s). I was thinking the ones I seemed to like most from a far before looking at the tags ended up being LCDs. I don't know any of the technical stuff about them though, kinda wish I did so I could make a more educated decision. There are things I don't like about LCDs, I was really against getting an LCD computer monitor when they first were real popular a few years back but I'm sure the technology has improved. *sigh* I hate not knowing what to do.
default_smile.png

We have LCD flat screens and I love them. The plasmas are much heavier for one thing, and I think they also use quite a bit more electricity (news was talking about it the other day and I was shocked by how much they use).

stay away from plasma, they do have some benefits but LCD's have some much better benefits.

for one, picture burns in on plasmas and they do that fast and they use 3x as much power as lcd's

lcd's aren't always as bright and black as plasmas but you learn to live with that and lcd's have gotten a lot better in those areas since then

best advise it go to the store and LOOK and make them show normal TV channels because that will make the TV's show their worst sides, showing DVDs and DIGITAL channels is something they all do very well, but a not so got TV signal is far from all that handle it well, but look at the picture, see if you like the brightness the colors and all that, there is huge differences from TV to TV when you look in the store, find one that fit your eyes.

We just bought (a couple months ago) a 60" rear projection LCD, it's a Sony, I think TXRD. We love it. HD is awesome on it. We got it from Best Buy.

WOW!!! Fabulous responses, guys!! Thank you so much. Looks lik LCD is the preferred way to go. I know I have a lot to learn about this stuff, and I will enjoy shopping for a new t.v. even more now with all your help.

Thanks!
default_aktion033.gif

We bought a new tv last year, LCD flat screen and when we walked into the store and had a huge wall of tvs the one that jumped out at us was Polaroid brand. All the other ones looked the same but the picture on this one was incredible.

I bought a Plasma 50" for Arts 50th bday last year at Sears $1500.00. I can not say enough about it! We absolutely love it. The pic is to die for, NO GLARE WHAT SO EVER! The pic will stretch to fit the screen without ANY distortion. Don't know about the energy useage, but it can't be that much of a difference, I would think. I highly recommend a Plasma. Also we have no small children and we don't play video games either. Good Luck!!!
default_wink.png

Grandma had eye problems years ago. Dr told her to go to a large TV display & compare the different screens to see which looked best in her own EYES & then choose that one.

Goolges, etc. can give you the techinal differences between LCD's, Plasma's etc.

Watch to get something that views High Definition programs, etc as a few places have deals(?) on older tv's that will not view them but most of those are now gone.

I do not think any tv's are still us made. The actual screens for ALL(?) tvs are made either in Japan or Tiwan.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back