If you wanted to add color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure just what you're asking here. Do you want to add color to solid color horses? If so, you would need something homozygous for whatever color/pattern you were wanting to be sure to add the color/pattern of the offspring.

If you are asking what we personally prefer . . . .

nash002005.jpg

Bears Snips Illustration (a.k.a. Bandit)

and his one and only baby here this year (although there are others equally pretty at other farms) . . .

nash004002.jpg

Songcatchers Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

Buckskins- beautiful!

Songcatcher- I absolutely love your horses!!!

No, I just wandered what colors people preferred in colors. I do want to add color someday, as in buy some maybe pintos, appys or buckskins. Everyone has their own prefference on what they like and I just wandered what that was.

Thanks

Fran

I'm also not sure what you mean by "color"......actual color, or pinto patterns?

A lot of people say "loud color" when they mean splashy pinto (or appy) patterns.

I will go for a "loud" Overo or Tovero any day! A stallion that carries multiple pinto genes will have a higher percentage of colored foals. Of course if you use a homozygous stallion...you will always get pinto (but it will will only throw the Tobiano gene.) Here are a few of my colorful foals from my Tovero stallion who carries multiple pinto patterns.

oooops.....sorry Fran. We must have been posting at the same time. I see you meant "the color of the horse". Well....I prefer any darker colors so they provide a contrast to the white pinto markings.
yes.gif

f30b6def.jpg

f5946461.jpg

f5a4f8f1.jpg

fb2c77c6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also want to add color, LOUD color, so I purchased the below sabino medicine hat mare (tested positive for LWO) and also pictured below is her sire. She has been bred already (seller's stud) to a black and white, blue-eyed pinto for a 2006 foal. For those of you with overos what do you think I will get in the cross? Now the mare's dam is apparently a sorrel pinto and in her background is black and white pinto and bucksin. I can hardly wait to see the resulting foal as I am HOPING that we will have some mega color and pattern. What do you think?

Mare

crystal.jpg

Sire

hawk-body.jpg

In foal to

(pasture pic)

100_0038.jpg

Forgot to say that next year, should all go well, the above medicine hat mare will be bred to my Junior stud, Last Chance Heart of the Storm, a black and white tobiano pictured below. Hopefully that will also give me COLOR.

Edited: pic won't upload here
sad.gif

pic is here if you want to see

My Webpage

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!!! They are all sooooo gorgeous! I am drooling! Promise and Ginger were supposed to be bred to a homo, but we shall see. I'm not gonna get excited till I see them (maybe).

Thank you for taking your time and posting replies to me.

Fran

for me its all cream(my favorite cream color is palomino), all champagne, and I LOVE LOUD paints overo's tovero's and loud tobiano's!! like thos that Dona picture'd! and I REALLY like Jen's(Hairicane) Overo's!! I LOVE bald faces!! so if I could have a Cream gold champagne really loud tobiano or tovero with a bald face, that would be mine!! but my two maine colors are going to be palomino and classic champagne(I LOVE Susan's classic champagne's!!!!!!
default_smile.png

hopfully somday I will have those color of horses that are SMALL and refined and have BEAUTIFULL movment! for my pattern it will be mostly solid but other than that I MIGHT have a couple of appy's and I will have quit a few loud paints and overo's!!

I REALLY like palomino overo's!!

for my appy's I either want a lepord or a blanketed appy with big round spots, not just those tiny white hiars!

here is a picture of my future herd sire

Palley5.jpg

Palley13.jpg

I really love the dilutes; especially palomino and buckskin, so to that end, I would like to add a cremello or perlino to my mares. I have a nice bay stallion (homozygous for agouti gene) that I plan to keep, so will be adding color through my mares.

I already have a silver dapple filly and have a palomino filly on the way. All solid, so far. I've been looking at a black and white tovero filly, but may have to wait on more, until my APHA filly sells.

For me, "color" means SPOTS. Appy spots!

Here is an (unclipped) pic of CCMF Spotted Illusion-- this boy is going to hopefully help me add more quality spots to the herd.
smile.gif
s_louie17_f.jpg

chandab said:
I really love the dilutes; especially palomino and buckskin, so to that end, I would like to add a cremello or perlino to my mares.  I have a nice bay stallion (homozygous for agouti gene) that I plan to keep, so will be adding color through my mares.  I already have a silver dapple filly and have a palomino filly on the way.  All solid, so far.  I've been looking at a black and white tovero filly, but may have to wait on more, until my APHA filly sells.

441742[/snapback]

Lets see pics of your palomino on the way!!

-Gage-

I'm a pinto lover!!! Especially black/white pintos
wub.gif
So of course it figures I have mostly solid horses at my place! LOL I really do love most colors
yes.gif

Tracy

No Cream- been there done that, no Appy same applies- I WANNA BUY BANDIT
new_multi.gif
crybaby.gif
new_multi.gif

My favorite would have to be solid buckskin, a buckskin pinto, or a double dilute! Although I do love black pintos also!
wub.gif

Our buckskin 2 yr old mare, Vickie Lou, aka Brie.

BrieTrotting5.jpg

Our buckskin pinto 4 yr old mare, LLL's Sugar & Spice, aka Skyler.

Sugarhorse3new.jpg

Our double dilute suckling colt, SNS Urban Cowboy, aka Stetson. He is out of our buckskin pinto mare, Skyler.

P1010203-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back