If you wanted to add color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gage said:
chandab said:
I really love the dilutes; especially palomino and buckskin, so to that end, I would like to add a cremello or perlino to my mares.  I have a nice bay stallion (homozygous for agouti gene) that I plan to keep, so will be adding color through my mares.  I already have a silver dapple filly and have a palomino filly on the way.  All solid, so far.  I've been looking at a black and white tovero filly, but may have to wait on more, until my APHA filly sells.

441742[/snapback]

Lets see pics of your palomino on the way!!

-Gage-

441781[/snapback]

Gage,

Tana will be coming home in September when she is weaned.

tana-picforcolor.jpg

Tana was 1.5 months when the picture was taken, she's now just over 2 months.

I actually have all the dilutes there are in my herd, cream and champagne in a yearling colt, silver in a junior and senior stallion, dun I have in my grulla pinto mare.

I would love to add a pattern and that is frame overo!

And I like the splash too, I´m just a sucker for blue eyes!
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite horse color is black and add a white spotted appy blanket with big spots and WOW! There is my horse!
smile.gif

Tammie

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I had registered appaloosas for over 25 years, I like color but to me the horse

with the best conformation and BRAINS is the best color. We have bay, black,

gray, chestnut, for solid horses. Our colored horses are blue roan pinto, silver

dapple pinto, and two very loud chestnut and white pintos. Our latest mare is

very colorful and I hope to get color when crossing to my stallion, but thats

a ways in the future because ALL our mares should prove themselves in the

show ring first! Linda B
yes.gif

I love double dilutes I actually dont like pinto very much I find it almost distracting but.. go figure I have 8 pintos out of 12 horses lol

I really want a appy and a overo. HOpefully out of all the mares we have bred to the overo we will get one!. I already have a homozygous pinto, and a buckskin pinto so I have both them colors coverd. I also have a funky filly that im not sure what she is, awaiting her tests.

Danielle,

Your mare isnt a medicine hat both ears must be colored for that. However the stallion she is bred to looks to be splash in my opinion(dont hold me to that). SO my guess is a trovero of some sort.

I would also love to have Bandit
wub.gif

I love appys and black and white pintos. I also like buckskins.

Christy
laugh.gif

For us conformation is first and dispsition is second. Color isn't high on the list. Seems like many people here are only concerned with color and not much else. However there are some outstanding horses with fantastic colors that would look very nice here in the pastures. Maybe someday.

Mark

I wish more people would understand that most of us who breed for "color"....do so AFTER conformation is met.
yes.gif
We are not just breeding "anything" available that has the color we want to breed for.
no.gif

It goes without being said, that first & foremost....ANY horses you plan to breed should have excellent conformation. THEN....you find the horses with good conformation in the colors you want to breed for.

People seem to think that when you say you are breeding for certain colors or patterns....that's ALL you are concerned about.
unsure.gif

yas I hate that (even though i am not a breeder) I tell people i want a palomino and they go off on how you need good conformation and stuff, wich is true and I beleive them, i wouldnt buy a palomino with bad conformation! when you breed for a color you go out and find the horses with your color and good conformation, not just nay horse with color!!

I agree with you 100%

-Gage-

Dona said:
I wish more people would understand that most of us who breed for "color"....do so AFTER conformation is met.
yes.gif
  We are not just breeding "anything" available that has the color we want to breed for. 
no.gif

It goes without being said, that first & foremost....ANY horses you plan to breed should have excellent conformation.  THEN....you find the horses with good conformation in the colors you want to breed for.

People seem to think that when you say you are breeding for certain colors or patterns....that's ALL you are concerned about.
unsure.gif

443157[/snapback]

Dona,

Very well said. It is almost like it is sin to love certain colored horses other than solids bays and chestnuts!!

I get tired of it too. I LOVE color.........lots of different ones!

It is sad that we have to say Over and Over again that conformation is important first....... instead of people just realizing that OF Course that is the way it is.

Susan O.

Meavey said:
I actually have all the dilutes there are in my herd, cream and champagne in a yearling colt, silver in a junior and senior stallion, dun I have in my grulla pinto mare.I would love to add a pattern and that is frame overo!

And I like the splash too, I´m just a sucker for blue eyes!
biggrin.gif

441880[/snapback]

us too - a grulla ("blue dun") Icelandic mare, an Amber Champagne 7/8 arab Khalvin Khlein KpM daughter, a Cremello, a buckskin, a palomino, and then all the silver dapples are the minis! Also a homozygous pinto SSH mare.

Only with the minis we're adding spots... appys and 2 homozygous pintos.

Latest posts

Back