If you *think* your mare is aborting but are unsure,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I have a mare here that I am thinking is aborting. She did not come at feedtime this morning, so I went to check on her, and she was standing quietly in the shelter, no signs of rolling or distress, so I went back to the house. I watched and after 2 hours, she still had not come to eat, so I went back to check her again. Still about the same, but I did notice some tail lifting like they do when crampy. Again, I went back to the house, but thought I better get a halter and lead and go bring her to the barn so I can keep a close watch over her with the barn camera.

She won't eat and I havn't seen her drink, but then maybe she is just not thirsty. She does seem to be aborting as she will lay flat on her side and seems to have contractions. She seems rather calm and sleeps flat out on her side between these contractions. She has been up and down and up and down doing this, but she is not sweating, pacing, or rolling like they would do when having a normal foaling. (she is not due until May 2.) So, my concern/question is, do I just leave her be to abort...does it take a long time? I am concerned that maybe the foal is not in the birthing position and this is why she seems to be having some contractions and it not going anywhere. Should a person try to go in there and feel for the position of the foal and try to move it now, or eait until she is closer to expelling the foal? She does not appear to be in distress at all, not sweating, rolling or anything. I don;t want to jump the gun and take the chance on messing the pregnancy up by digging around in there if she is not really aborting. BUT, if not aborting, why this strange behavior? I have had a few mares abort late term in the past, but I have never actually noticed any signs beforehand...just found them in the late stages or after they aborted. This is the first time actually catching it this early, if this is what she is doing, which I am sure it is.

Sorry for babbling, and hoping maybe someone with experience can shed some light on what is the best to do at this point. Thanks in advance.

I had a mare (who is due May 30th) do this a few weeks ago, thought she too was trying to abort, so had the vet out, he gave her a once over, all vitals were perfect, "bounced" her belly and the foal bounced back, gave her a little bananmine and was told to keep an eye on her.. He felt that the baby was laying in a "wrong" spot making her feel very uncomfy and ouchy.. That night she ate her grain and has been 100% back to her self since then.. She too did the tail lifting, laying flat, sit up, lay flat, get up and walk like a mare does in labor (kind of hunched, head down, tail up like they do as they;re laying down)

Hopefully that's what is going on with your girl too, just a bad spot baby is laying making her uncomfy.. If she is aborting, don't think there is much you can do besides have the vet out to do a look over and maybe regumate? But even starting her on that if she's aborting, she's going to do it anyway..

THANKS Lucky-C...at least this gives me hope, as her symptoms sound the same as your mare's! It also tells me to stay out of there, as I really don't want to cause an abortion if she is not doing it on her own! I guess I'll just keep watching her closely on the barn cam I think I will also go out and see if I can get the foal to move so I'll know if it is still alive or not. The having the vet out is not an option, as we don;t have one.
default_new_shocked.gif
This is why I wanted to take the best route ahead of time, in case she was aborting.

Well, so much for wishful/hopeful thinking. She is DEFINITELY aborting. I just went out to give her some Banamine and to see if I could feel the foal move. I could see in her butt cheeks that they were wet from when she was laying down. I smelled it and it was not urine. She then layed down with me right in the stall with her and did a few pushes, so I watched her vulva and saw some straw colored fluid...definitely the bag of waters leaking.
default_sad.png

Flip (add expletive of your choice!!)!!

This could still have a good outcome.

I have had one foal born a definite nine weeks early and, apart form no milk and a scramble for colostrum, he was fine, not preemie, FINE.

The mare also got her milk and raised him, so, I am crossing absolutely EVERYTHING for you, I swear.
default_pray.gif

Oh Mona, I'm so sorry!
default_sad.png

I hope she has finished by now. Once you see that, it should be over fairly quickly, unless it's not in the right position. Maybe you can help her along if she needs it. I hope you can by yourself.

I'll be waiting to hear! Good luck!!

my heart goes out to you and your mare

sending prayers your way.

keep us posted.

I pray your mare and foal are okay.

Mona - I am still pryaing for a positive outcome for you and your mare - and the foal.

There has been a lot of tragedy in the past week - I am praying that you will break this spell!!!!!!

Well...CRAP!
default_sad.png
I hope that by now, whatever she is doing is over & she is OK.

oh Mona,

I hope that if she does abort, it all goes smoothly. I know you know, but check the placenta for missing pieces.

Wouldn't it be lovely if she ended up having a nice foal and all was well? I am praying right now....

Robin

Just saw on your website that her due date is May 2....which means the outcome is probably not going to be good for the foal. Lots of prayers for you and your gorgeous girl!

Thanks everyone for your concern and encouraging words. She did miscarry. The foal was dead (I am assuming) due to a severely twisted cord. It is was bay, maybe buckskin colt, and he was not big at all so once my husband got into the placenta and found everythng, he got it all aligned and pulled out without too much difficulty. Thank God he was here to do this!! I have now given Colors her Banamine and the placenta has released and all seems OK at this time.She nibbled a little hay and has had some water, so I am thinking and hoping she will be OK too. I felt so bad for her, as when she saw the towels, she started to nicker...I guess she associates seeing the towels with past foalings and knowing a baby comes. I did not even show her the foal this time....I took it out right away before she was too alert, and she seems calm, so am hoping all will be OK. Thanks again for everything.

I am going to post some photos later of the placenta, showing the "star" that Becky spoke of in her post about red bags. Am watching the hockey game right now, so it will have to wait awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mona,

I'm sure sorry for you and your mare that she lost her little colt. I have lost a few over the years to a twisted cord also.

So sad. But I am glad she is okay.

Susan O.

I'm very sorry, Mona......but relieved that it ended okay for your mare. The twisted cord may be a reason........

Wish there was an answer to your question(s)........ Our experience with catching a mare aborting early on is surprisingly limited........We've ended up just watching, waiting, in case of a problem. For some reason our abortions have been relatively smooth, thank heaven.

I'm so sorry for your little mare and foal but at least she's ok. I'm glad your husband was there to help.

Thanks everyone for your concern and encouraging words. She did miscarry. The foal was dead (I am assuming) due to a severely twisted cord. It is was bay, maybe buckskin colt, and he was not big at all so once my husband got into the placenta and found everythng, he got it all aligned and pulled out without too much difficulty. Thank God he was here to do this!! I have now given Colors her Banamine and the placenta has released and all seems OK at this time.She nibbled a little hay and has had some water, so I am thinking and hoping she will be OK too. I felt so bad for her, as when she saw the towels, she started to nicker...I guess she associates seeing the towels with past foalings and knowing a baby comes. I did not even show her the foal this time....I took it out right away before she was too alert, and she seems calm, so am hoping all will be OK. Thanks again for everything.I am going to post some photos later of the placenta, showing the "star" that Becky spoke of in her post about red bags. Am watching the hockey game right now, so it will have to wait awhile.
So very sorry Mona, hope your mare is OK.

Just seen this now, we where also watching that amazing Game
default_wub.png

Well dang Mona
default_no.gif
Was really hoping it was the baby just laying wrong... Glad that the delivery went easy and your girl is ok (((HUGS))) to you and Colors

Back