If you had Minis first,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in Ontario Canada near Ottawa. Yes Desiree there are a bunch of the Michigan ponies in our area~

Kim

I had part-Arabians when I had some Shetland ponies in 69-71. In the Spokane and surrounding areas they had big time pony breeders with bloodlines they had gotten from the midwest. They were the ponies I had and almost ALL those breeders and their ponies no longer exist. The partial reasons was re-validation of all pony papers. I can't remember the exact date, but I have a friend north of Spokane, and she new of a huge pony farm just over the hill from them who had mostly silver dapples and had over 100 head and when the re-validation happened, they took all of them into the auction and sold them without papers and I am sure that happened all throughout the country~SAD!
default_no.gif

Then in 1989 I got my first Miniature Horses which I was wild about, and that eventually wanned when I saw that they were just small Shetland ponies. My desire for the Classic Shetland pony has always been there since 1969 when I started to correspond with Audrey Barrett. I did know who she was, but it didn't really hit me until after she was sick! I could have gotten ponies from her wayyy back as she offered, but at the time I was happy with mine!
default_frusty.gif

Oh well, so I decided then to just raise Classic Shetland ponies who were also 38" and under. I met Mel and Dorothy in 1999 when I sold them Sundance LB Savannah a Chocolate dapple 100% Arenosa filly and Sundance LB Precaria a black-bay 50% Arenosa mare. Dorothy and I were VERY good friends chatting almost daily(well she was good friends with a lot of good folks
default_wink.png
)...then we lost her in 2007
default_crybaby.gif

Mel was lost and asked me to come and visit, so I did and haven't left!
default_cheekkiss.gif
and I also adopted a whole herd of 100% and related Arenosa Miniature Shetland's...something I could have had years ago....Isn't it funny how the circle goes around and around?...I am blessed
default_worshippy.gif

JennyB

For me it was Gold Melody Boy! I started out with miniatures and all of them had either Gold Melody Boy or Rowdy bloodlines. After researching pedigrees, etc. I found that both Gold Melody Boy and Rowdy were actually miniature Shetland Ponies. Gold Melody Boy was registered AMHA/AMHR/ASPC, but was first and foremost, a Shetland Pony! So, the decision to switch to ponies for me was quite simple. We now raise Miniature Shetland Ponies, 38" and under and we LOVE them!
yes.gif

I too started out in minis. Love the little guys, but being 5'11, I wanted something a bit taller to show (I just look funny showing the minis IMO). I have always loved the look of moderns, but started out with a classic first. Then basically jumped head first into moderns. Won't go back. I sold all the minis. The ponies definately fill my NEED FOR SPEED mentality. They are a freaking blast to show! :D I own the 1 mini for my son, but doubt I would ever really look at another under mini again (let alone even the double reg. minis). I prefer the over ponies and am looking into ASPR roadster horses. I found my ponies more willing to learn and always wanting to be played with. My minis could care less if I ever touched them again besides to throw food to their face. I love the mentality of ponies. Some say they are out looking for trouble, but you got to keep their minds constantly working. Its a win-win situation to me.
default_smile.png
Moderns are a lot more work to show. They need shoes, braiding, etc. So you may want to start out with a classic depending on how hot you want your horse. But I find it quite rewarding to dress my ponies up for show. Everybody always comments on them and looks at them in awe. I like having a snazzy looking/moving pony beside me.
default_smile.png

The post on things coming full circle applies here too. AS a horse crazy kid from birth I had a 2nd cousin that bred and showed shetlands in the late 50s and 60s. I remember going to the Pinellas county fair and seeing them show their shetlands. As a young kid I remember all theirs seemed to be silver dapples some being the chocolates and all had platinum manes and tails. Then I got a Thoroughbred and then appys and rode for years. Ruptured disks ended my horse riding so we got minis. My favorite thing is always driving and bigger minis are much more fun to drive. Just a few years ago friends started getting shetlands and I got more interested and I knew Gerri Morris of Footloose Farm and soon I had shetlands. Bought my 1st one off the saleboard and the seller didnt know it but she sold me a Congress Grand Champion Foundation stallion(2005) with over 100 halter championship and his Hall of Fame. I bought him because he drove and still show in driving, he is a wonderful show horse! That is my starting stallion Pans Cody Earl Grey. With my limited physical abilities I can handle the smaller shetlands better and would prefer approx 38" and under but I have great larger ones too. I bought a 100% arenosa double reg. pinto stallion Dakota Brazils Tino who has AMHR nat. Ch. parent,s both HOF. I hope to bring him out next year. And of course I have 5 mares and 3 weanling fillies now and am expecting foals from both stallions in 2011. I could have had shetlands from my cousins from childhood but then I only wanted big horses, now I just love them not too big!!!

Latest posts

Back