If You Could Choose Only ONE Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you pick a gelding, stallion or mare?

• Gelding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stallion

• Mare

• Total voters

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
If you could have only ONE horse from now on, what would you pick? I do not mean which individual horse would you choose to have, but overall, which sex do you think you'd look to own if you were starting out from scratch, and looking for your ONE horse?

I would choose a GELDING.

For sure, I have no plans to part with my current stallions and mares, but if I could only own one horse from now on, I would choose a gelding as my only horse.

Thinking of all the horses I have owned so far, I feel it's the geldings who really gave me the most of themselves. Not to mention have been easy to enjoy without hormones and hormonal swings rocking their boats. From what I have experienced, my geldings give / gave me the most heart without any lack of spark and personality. They've shown me the most desire to please. Then it would be the stallions second, and then the mares. So, this is why I'd pick a gelding.

What about you folks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gelding for me! We enjoy just the driving, we're not into breeding, and like the calm demeanor of a nice gelding.

I chose stallion. I am really drawn to stallions, and I love that they keep everything interesting. They demand more special relationships to work with them, and that makes it challenging for me. I like a horseman's horse.

Andrea

Well, I chose gelding because that was what we purposely chose for our first mini. We wanted a companion for our big gelding, so another gelding seemed like the best match. Of course, the fact that their color patterns (both are pintos of course!) are very similar, and even the vet agrees that their personalities are similar, didn't hurt.

I definetely vote for gelding here. Actually our first mini was a black gelding, then we were biten by the mini bug. We went on to have a mini farm, with about 40 minis. Now we have retired and I could part with all of them but the first mini gelding. Even if we have to board him, I don't think we will ever be able to part with Shiloh.

Gelding. First I'm still new to minis.
default_smile.png
I have only had my minis (all weanlings) since May-July and I by far prefer the geldings for temperament. I love my 2 little fillies
default_wub.png
: but am really closer to my 2 geldings
default_wub.png
: because they are friendly and aren't so moody. They want my kisses, come up to me and raise their nose for one.
default_yes.gif
: Not my fillies. They are more standoffish.
default_sad.png
Since I don't breed, Yes, Gelding.

Bonnie

It was a hard call for me...I ultimately chose 'gelding', but I like mares as performance horses, and have had many over the years. However, because 'some' mares have issues with hormonal mood swings, and it isn't always possible to know ahead of time which mare will be that way and which won't, I decided that 'gelding' would be the best overall choice.

Margo

Stallion....I am with you Andrea...there is something about the fire inside...and the shear pride of just being of a stallions demeaner...I love Tontos presence and the way he is so masterful yet submissive ..his choice and you feel it..it is very cool that this lovely man beast is willing to be tamed and mannerly...it's thrilling to me...Glad I could express it here...Thanks for asking :bgrin Ren

Mare. My favourites (character and temperament wise) have been mostly (but not all) mares when it comes to miniatures.

If you were asking about large horses I'd be saying gelding, as I have known far more great geldings in the large size.

l'm going with stallions all the way. Smarter and more sensative then any mare or gelding any day of the week but for sure not for everyone. Plenty of fire and life to keep you on your toes.

I didnt read any other answers but without a doubt geldings. I hear some say stallions have more fire, more life, more spirit

Hmmm all of my stallions could easily be mistaken for geldings always have, they are quiet, dependable, well mannered and all are and have been easily handled by a child so in that aspect I would have no issues gelding our current stallion either would Raven that way she doesnt have to wait to show him :)

Last edited:
This was a tough one for me to answer. The most reasonable and logical answer to your question is gelding. No question about it. However, my favorite horse of all time is my stallion, Bandit. But, to keep only one horse, I don't think would be fair to keep a stallion. I finally chose mare on the poll, because I love my mares (mood swings and all) and it gives hope for future production. Not the logical answer to your question, but an emotional answer.

I would choose a stallion....I love their honesty...fire...spirit...and, sense of pride. It is a thrilling package for me
default_yes.gif
:

lis

I would choose a stallion.

I love there fire and attitude. I like a little life to my horses, I like em' fiesty.
default_smile.png

I would have to say a stallion at this point in time because of Jinx. I just love this horse. I love watching him prance around the pasture, I love watching him trot because it takes my breath away, his attitude, his spirit, everything about him.

Mare also, I think what other's call "marish" is wonderful, as mine are all really bonded to me. They may take a bit more work, but they are Very faithful and devoted... geldings will leave you for anyone, and studs for a mare... Mares are their own.

Latest posts

Back