If Prints hasn't dealt with enough

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Prints is a little over 2 months now and has done well since the one month mark. Some how she has kept herself out of trouble!
biggrin.gif
Well, for whatever reason Frankie is not producing milk any more.
no.gif
She is a maiden mare, not sure that has anything to do with anything, just giving info. Frankie never really developed a bag, I would say it was more like a pouch.

Yesterday when Prints tried to nurse, she'd try some, back up and stomp her feet, try again and again do the same. Then she'd walk away frustrated. At first I thought it may be her, but when I checked Frankie, nothing there.
no.gif

Prints did eat some of the mares grain and hay. What do you suggest I start her on? Foal Lac Pellets? I do know we have that one avaliable where I get my grain. She has come such a long long way, gotta keep her going in that direction. She is strong and healthy and wants the grain, so even though 2 months is a tad early to wean, I think she will do well with the right food.

Thanks for any suggestions you have to offer.

Carolyn, call your vet and get a tube of Domperidom. It is guaranteed to get your mare back into milk in one or two days. The stuff is great. It's expensive, probably over $50 but one tube lasts forever. I've used it with great success. Will be a lot better for Prints if she can continue to nurse. Call your Vet and ask his opinion bet he says sure!!! Good Luck...

Ginny StP

Hey Ginny,

I think we have that in a shot form?????? When Prints was born and they thought maybe it was the mare, they left me 3 shots. I will check to see if that is it.

Wasn't sure at this age if it was a good idea to do, but will check with vet.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it more likely you were left Oxytocin- which is older but not so reliable. It really depends on which way you want to go with this- If you are happy to take over the milk replacement for at least another month you would need to get her on a bucket and build a creep so she can get it without Frankie's "help" and this would negate the need to feed her every two hours or so!!! I presume she has started eating?? The Domperidome is brilliant stuff- not sure how it would work in a mare that has produced milk and gone off production, so I will leave that to people who do know for sure. Frankie is a young mare and I have one in a similar situation- also an Oops foal, also a two year old, but nearly three months- and I am slowly weaning him now- he's eating a fair bit of feed and grazing, and getting supplement milk. So really it depends on you- you know the foal and the mare better than anyone else.

I would get that baby on some grain. We have a older more experianced mare(10 years old) who is pretty much always completely dry by 3 months at the latest.

I would bet that part of your mares issues this time is more from the foal not stimulating her from the get go.

I really dont think she needs milk replacer anymore, just a good foal feed.

I also dont think she needs to be fed every 2 hours. I think alot of people over feed there babys. Watching my aunt raise zebras(which are about a pony sized foal), they get fed 3-4 times a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on what the vet says about bringing Frankie's milk back in...... If Prints is truly not getting any milk, I believe she DOES need supplementing.

Since she's already eating hay and grain, I would mix Foal Lac pellets into her grain for another month. She's going to have to be seperated from her mom for her grain time and will need to be fed at least 4 times a day.

The reason why I recommend the milk supplement is that Prints has had a rough go from the start and needs that bit of "extra", in my opinion.

MA

Feeding with my other horses is not a problem. Babies have always played in the grain, and other horses move out of the way and let them.

Prints and other 2 baby's are on Foal Lac Pellets and a Mare and Foal grain/mixture. They ALL love to eat their new food. I am not trying to wean the other 2, but they want what she has!

I must just have very polite adults, none of them have offered to eat from the babies pans at all.

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back