If I didn't already have a headache,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
I had a gal come by today and tell me about a mini for auction nearby. They are having a rodeo and they are raffling off a miniature horse stallion to raise money for the families of Iraqi soldiers. Here's some of my frustrations. She tells me how adorable this 3 MONTH old already weaned and being sold foal is. Then she notices my filly and asks how old she was. I said she was 4 months. She couldn't hardly believe it. This foal for sale was only a month younger but he wasn't even half the size of my filly. So now I worry it could be a dwarf they are selling and it is a stalilion of course. I realize it could just be a very small one and the drawing was tonight so I'll probably never know, but I worry. The girl told me she had bought two tickets, but then proceeded to tell me how awful her last experience was with a mini. She bought a stud from a friend for $20 (that should have told her something) because the owner was afraid of him. This gal said he would come at you teeth barred so she finally just "dumped" him at an auction. Then she sees one of my other horses who is only 31.50" and she comments that he's awfully big to be a miniature and was he still allowed to be called one
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
The sad part is this is for the most part a nice girl and as misinformed as she is, think about the people who really don't even try to care. All I can say is I hope a good person finds it's way to owning that little mini. Thanks for letting me vent, it's so much better than using a brick wall to do the trick

Well that is pretty discouraging, but remember there are a lot of really great and decent people out there. I'm pretty sure everyone on this board can share a story about how they got a horse under strange circumstances and gave it the best home it could possibly have.

I remember once buying a miniature stallion for FIVE DOLLARS. The girl who had him, had a mare and a stallion but she did not take good care of them, and the mare up and died. The girl's dad was FURIOUS with her for taking such bad care of them and for letting a horse die, so he put the mare in their truck, drove up into the mountains and made her dig a hole to bury the mare. I understand it took her nearly 8 hours to dig that hole.
new_shocked.gif
When she got home, she was desperately afraid the stallion would die too, and she REALLY did not want to dig another hole, so she called me up and offered him to me for $5.00. I named that little horse Balaam and I bet we walked about a thousand miles together. Every single day, as soon as I was out of school, I got that horse out and off we went together to do something fun. I got him on a good feed program and got him all straightened out, and he lived to be 30.

Not every one who buys a horse is a horrible creep - there are some fantastic people out there. Try to feel some hope for the poor little thing...... you might want to track down where he came from, and talk to the owner of the mare. Maybe they do not realize that 3 months is too young for weaning.

What a neat story Jacquee. And cudos to that dad for his action!! Wonder where he was, though, while the mare was suffering. It's a shame it was too little too little late for her, but it sounds like the girl learned something from it.

Jacquee, I do know there are some good people out there
yes.gif
. These a whole forum full of them right here. I just know the mentality of several people that do attend this rodeo. I have bought horses from an auction and have given them good homes so I know there are kind people also. It's just the whole picture of the story. There was so much information this particular girl had. Everyone thinks if it's over 20" tall it's mot miniature
wacko.gif
OK, that's exaggerating, but you get the idea. Also, people just don't realize that a stallion of any size can be aggressive. Just because the foal is cute and nice now doesn't mean he'll be like that when the hormones get going. Also, I DO NOT know that this was a dwarf but as it is tiny there is that possibility. The problem is she said it was so cute she didn't look to see if it had any of the features I asked her about (crooked legs, domed head etc.) If it is, then it certainly would be nice to get him gelded asap before any "accidental" breedings. Not to mention, if it has issues as many dwrves do, then it could end up uncomfortable. There was a guy the next town over years ago that all he bred was dwarves. A friend and I had heard that he had minis (this is before either of us had one) and when we saw them, all we could think is that was NOT what we wanted. We didn't know about dwarves, we just knew that what ever he had was definately what we'd want to breed. Later we found out about dwarves. He even had a couple that had to have been B size. But they all had bad legs, funky heads and roached backs. He had told us they needed their feet timmed often and that the one horse only stood around never played, we guessed that it had foundered badly. Now we know exactly what the problem was. Once we learned more, we were going to go "visit" again and see if we could politely educate them, but by that time they had sold their stud and only had one older one left and as the couple was older they weren't getting any more. Anyway, I would have driven over yesterday if I had know about it earlier in the day, but by the time I found out, it was too late to go. The drawing was last night so I'll have to contact the girl and see if she happens to know who won. If it is someone I know then maybe I can look them up and check on things. Thanks again for letting me vent.

Well I sure hope someone that knows about minis got him. He could get in a real mess if the owners don't know what to do with him.
no.gif

Latest posts

Back