If a Stallion breeds more than 6 mares.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
I haven't looked this up at AMHA, but was told yesterday that if your stallion breeds more than 6 mares in a given year, he has to be DNA'd.

Older stallions, pre 199???? do not have to be DNA'd, however should they breed more than a certain number of mares in a given year then DNA is required.

It was "news to me" and for some people out there with older stallions it may be a cost they would not wish to have if there were an alternative.

The lady just told me in passing and I may not have the exact information, so if someone out there knows the correct information it might be good for all of us to be aware.

Per the AMHA Rule Book (link), page 48:

All stallions bred to five (5) or more mares in a calendar year must be blood typed and/or DNA tested before any resulting foals or foals from future breedings will be considered for registration. No foals born after December 31, 1994, will be registered until this requirement is met. After the blood typing or DNA test results are on file with AMHA, the stallion is not required to be tested again.

All foals born after December 31, 1995, must be DNA tested or blood typed prior to registration of their offspring.

Also, note the fee for DNA testing is $41. That's pretty affordable I think... I have some kits I've been aging here paid for but not pulled those hairs yet! (nothing like ppprrrooocccrrraaassstttiiinnnaaatttiiiooonnn!)
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill is correct in the information she provided.

I just wanted to add - this is my opinion too so sorry if it comes across a bit rude - ALL Miniature horses (IMHO) should be DNA tested and all that can be should be PQ (if you don't want to test a gelding well there are no genetics being passed there).

Yes, it's a cost but one, I honestly feel, every breeder should accept as a cost of doing business, so to speak.

I'm still knew to AMHA (just joined last year) but I thought all horses that were being used for breeding through AMHA had to be DNA'd and/or PQ'd?? At least that's how I understood it when we bought the appy colt last year that is registered AMHA/AMHR and my first to completely register AMHA (had two mares we just transferred), and if I remember right when I emailed AMHA with a few questions that said that I did not at the time need to DNA him but if I were going to use him as a breeding stallion he would have to be done prior to breeding mares..
confused.gif

Lucky C - from Jill's reply:

All foals born after December 31, 1995, must be DNA tested or blood typed prior to registration of their offspring.
Any stallion used for breeding that was born in 1995 or before does not have to be DNA'd UNLESS he breeds 5 or more mares per year. All horses (stallions or mares) born after Dec 31, 1995 that are used for breeding, must be DNA'd in order for their offspring to be registered.

Lucky C - from Jill's reply:

Any stallion used for breeding that was born in 1995 or before does not have to be DNA'd UNLESS he breeds 5 or more mares per year. All horses (stallions or mares) born after Dec 31, 1995 that are used for breeding, must be DNA'd in order for their offspring to be registered.
Ok, so all colts if left as potential breeding stallions must be DNA'd, do they have to be PQ'd as well? The appy colt we did go ahead and have DNA's when we registered him, I've got our Buckeroo grandson that I need to get registration done on and will probably go ahead and have him DNA's as well just to get it done.. Copper, the dam of the Buckeroo bred colt, is parentage qualified..

As for fillies, they do not have to be DNA'd/PQ'd if used for breeding with AMHA?

As for fillies, they do not have to be DNA'd/PQ'd if used for breeding with AMHA?
Yes fillies (mares) also must be DNA'd too before foals out of them can be AMHA registered. It's just that one sentence from the rule book (page 48) that addresses the question as it relates to any breeding animal born since 1995...

"All foals born after December 31, 1995, must be DNA tested or blood typed prior to registration of their offspring."

The references are cut and pasted quotes right from AMHA's rule book (to clarify, not me paraphrasing or interpretting it in my own words).

The colts do not need to be done unless they breed mares. SO if it were me I would not do them at this time. YOu dont know for sure if they will end up gelded before they breed. If they are used for breeding then can then be done before the foals are registured. Saves some money.

Jill,

Dont feel bad, I had Boos sitting here for 5 months before I pulled them. I finally did them last month, figured I better get it done so I can get these foals registured.

Ashley -- I'm waaaay bad! I got these kits either late last year or this past January
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Also, just crossed my mind to say something -- This is not a happy thought and hopefully no one reading it will "need" it, but if a stallion of yours who sired coming foals were to pass away and you hadn't tested him yet, you'd want to pull the hairs before having him buried or cremated.

Can I take it then that mares born before 1995 need not be DNA'd?

Just checking!

Anna

Correct! The only time a mare that is born before 95 needs to be DNA is if they are hardshiped in.

On the back of the Stallion Report it reads:

In the big triangle (IMPORTANT)

All stallions that breed five (5) or more mares in a calendar year must be blood typed or DNA tested before any resulting foals will be eligible for registration. No foals born after Dec 31, 1994 will be registered untill this requirement is met.

All foals born after Dec 31, 1995 must be blood typed or DNA tested prior to registration of their off-spring.

I knew I read it somewhere....
default_wink.png

IMHO ALL horses should be DNA'd and ALL foals should be parentage qualified. It is the only way to prove that the sire and dam on the papers are indeed the sire and dam.

The "papers" are not worth anything if we cannot stand behind them as breeders. And for that matter the organizations AMHA/R should strive for this for the same reason.

I have several older mares that I cannot PQ as the sires and dams were never DNA'd by their previous owners. Several of these I attempted to have the owners send in hair at my expense, but no luck.

I have not for many years bought any horse that was not PQ'd or could not be prior to purchase.

I have heard several times since AMHA required the five or more mare rule of breeders that said they would only breed their stallion to four mares to avoid that rule. I think this is very sad and a bad way to do buisness.

I agree Joanne, and would think that it would be wise to do the P.Q.on everything I can now, and avoid any problems in the future.

I had just missed seeing that on the stallion report, and the lady that told me said it like it was something new.

Latest posts

Back