Identity Theft Protection

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainWoman

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone uses identity theft protection services. I heard an ad today for a company that says they can protect your bank account from fraud but you have to give them all your bank account numbers so they can protect them. Not sure about that at all. So I guess I'm asking if anyone uses identity theft protection or how they feel about it.

I work in fraud investigations- there is no real way as far as I am concerned, of protecting your identity. They all claim they can, but I still see fraud happening. If the crooks cant do it one way, they seem to find another.

Just be careful with what you do:

Shred all your bills, bank statements, any mail that has any personal info including your address on it, before throwing it out.

Never answer phone calls or email from your 'bank, 'credit card companies', 'paypal' or anyone else asking for your info. It's NOT really them!!

When eating in a restaurant or something like that, never hang your purse on the back of your chair! Keep it next to you or where you can see it.

Most places dont now, but if you use a credit card at an establishment that still prints the full account number, SHRED that receipt before you toss it and never leave it on a restaurant table or whatever.

When you pay for your dinner, tab, whatever, pay at the register and stand there while they run your card. Dont let them take it from the table and then bring your card back a few minutes later.

There are many other safety tips, but just make sure that your thoughts are if someone would be able to access any personal info in any way, and I mean ANY personal info. Crooks will even go through garbage to find info.

Be careful what you put on social network pages!

Laurie, thanks so much for all the information. It's really helpful to me. I was wondering what to do but I have my answer now.

I pay for ID Theft Insurance. It's not protection from theft, its just a "piece of mind" type insurance that *if* something happens, I can just turn everything over to the company and one person from that company will handle everything for me. I'm a Dave Ramsey follower (working on becoming debt free) and he recommended Zander ID Theft Protection. They are a great company, and if you have any questions, they will answer them promptly. I like them and it works for me.
default_smile.png

Back