Identification

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pitter Patter

Reaction score
I have these beautiful minis now. How do you identify them should the unthinkable happen? (Lost, stolen,etc). I have plenty of pictures, but how would one PROVE the horse is theirs? My vet just looked at me funny when I asked him about micro chipping. What does everyone do? I know people used to brand, either with hot iron or freezing, but that seems so cruel.

I have heard of people micro chipping but i don't know anyone who does it and I don't know if any of the auction places (which wouId be my first concern regarding where a stolen horse might go) bother to check for micro chips.
I bet a small animal vet would have more info on how to get it done if you wanted to. My vet just asked me if I wanted my cat micro chipped when he had his rabies vax so she must be able to do it.

Microchipping is very common in high end dressage and eventing horses. If you're very concerned you could get a vet to chip your horses. You could also do like they do with other animals and put a tattoo in the ear to identify and note that the animal is chipped.

For most of us though, good photos and vet receipts, along with a brand inspection (done by your vet and registered with the state) are sufficient

I have mini donkeys and it is required by the registry to microchip them. I didn’t foal them I bought them and the seller chipped them. It looks to be a very easy process and I’ve seen the stuff for sale on different vet supply web sites.

Microchipping is easy and not too expensive, done by your vet. Slaughter houses are supposed to check for a microchip and attempt contact, but I would be surprised if they actually do. All of my horses (and dogs) are microchipped.

I have mini donkeys and it is required by the registry to microchip them. I didn’t foal them I bought them and the seller chipped them. It looks to be a very easy process and I’ve seen the stuff for sale on different vet supply web sites.
When did they add microchipping as a requirement? I have a now 8 year old jenny that has an ear tattoo (I did not know this, nor have I seen it, but it's marked on some paperwork that I have), but I see no mention of microchipping in her paperwork, just the tattoo.

I think that in years past it was acceptable to use tattoos or other means of permanent means of identifying markings,but the way I understand it now the preferred method is microchip but I may be wrong. I’m not a breeder and I have yet to show and I don’t plan on selling them so I don’t pay that much attention to that kind of stuff in the registry magazines

Latest posts

Back