Ideas on using kids play yard parts for stalls please?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondinmypocket

Reaction score
I am in a rental that includes a barn. Being short term, I need stalls (2) that I can take with me, without investing too much money. I have several toddler play yards that I would like to repurpose into stalls. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

I'd be afraid that the parts would not be sturdy enough. Even though minis are small, they are still strong and will test the fence. Plus you'd have the issue of sealing the cut/exposed ends. Unless Now, in my mind when you say toddler play yard, what are you meaning? We could be thinking about something altogether different.

What about repurposing wooden pallets? Many placed give them away. [if you go this route, just be sure to get pallets that haven't had chemical stored on them. I usually get mine from the feed store.] While you might not want to take them with you, they would likely be free, just a bit of work involved to make them work.

Not a great pic to show it, but behind Monte, you can see my pallet fence.

MOnte - July 4, 2012 - 2.jpg

I used 3-4 pallets to span a short distance between two solid objects. They are just tied together with baling twine. [To make it sturdier, t-posts could be used, and the pallets slide over the t-post.]

My son could plow over his playyard by the time he hit 18 months old, and my chihuahuas can jump them, I defiantly wouldnt reccomend them for horses. If you need something portable, use actual corral panels

chandab - I take it you have not had any issues with legs/feet getting caught in the slats of the pallets? I have thought about using them, but was worried about that. But - I do tend to over think things. Thanks!

It depends on how sturdy they are. I use plastic play pen gate things for my mini, But I use buckets full of rocks and put them on each side other wise she'll push through.

I was thinking more along the way of incorporating wood and the playyard (plastic) together.

( I am a repurpose freak!;) we moved here 7 months ago. Its beautiful! 5 fenced acres, wooden rural area, my dream land! We live in a large 2 bedroom camper, and we moved here with long term intentions. But our situation has improved steadly, at an unsuspecting speed. (prayers answered) and we are sadly past the time of we needed a bigger home about 4 months ago... We want to buy this land, to build a house, but the owner is not selling soon, her health is quickly declining, and it will be pastd on to her daughter. I do not think she will keep it long... But again, we have to have a bigger place by this summer. Period! And I have a decree ordering myself and ex husband to remain in 2 attached counties. Anf Austin pretty much fills both area, and we are not city folk! Rural areas left are high priced modern cities.

The barn, is the crowning glory of the place. 100 years old. It needs to undergo serious restoration to preserve it. The owner has plans to do this, but she is holding onto life by the teeth. I can go out and buy the things I need for my plans, and panels are due this spring for various needs.

I have repurposed pallets in the past for decorative fencing, and it is a great idea, if I can learn how to safely do this. But I like the idea the 2 minis can be seperated but see each other. So maybe a wooden frame with play yard secured between? Has to be easy, as it will mostly be me as hubby has no thumbs ;)And no power tools..

chandab - I take it you have not had any issues with legs/feet getting caught in the slats of the pallets? I have thought about using them, but was worried about that. But - I do tend to over think things. Thanks!
I haven't, but so far they've not been used for 24/7 enclosure fencing, just daytime pasture fence. With a bit of work, slats can be removed from the pallets to make the spacing larger (or tear anohter one apart to fill in the larger spaces); and since they are usually free, all sorts of reconfigurations can be used to make them safe. I've just used them whole, as they have been temporary fencing, and usually they are for stacking hay on, so I want them in one piece.

My suggestion would be to invest in a couple of miniature horse, or goat/sheep fence panels sufficient to make your stalls then they could go anywhere you go and you would know your horses would be as safe as possible. Most of them will last you for your lifetime. I have some that are 25 years old and in perfect shape....except for the paint.

I second the sheep/hog panels. You can even get gates for them, but opening the panels themselves is not that big a deal. You can take them with you and use them for fencing later. We also use 4 of them to make a pen at horse shows or events to keep horses separate from spectators. Don't know how we would live without them!

We had something like this (with out the slide) in the doorway of the goat stall so the goats could go in and out and the horse's couldn't go in and eat their food. One day after working Treasure I put him in the stall and went in the tack room to get something. When I came back, to my horror, he was stuck in it running up and down a steep hill. I really scared me and I was so afraid he was going to break a leg. He finally busted out, but that was one of the scariest moments of my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
But then its no fun Charlotte! Lol I am getting panels for fencing, just hate being in limbo! Maybe sell them and put $ towards panels.... Spring always bites me hard, and I love being creative and saving $!!!

Now I am eyeballing my spare pallets! ;)

Wow Lucky! Glad Treasure is ok. My mare Diamond is super smart especially when food is involved, so I know how that goes. We have 2 plastic playscapes and our goat ( in new home now) would play all over them. Luckily the only way up is slides and one has a little house with door that my daughter will take any critter in!

Saw this online the other day - looks good and serves its purpose!

000b6aee46e8fe117821ab18e6a58e89.jpg

Latest posts

Back