Ideas on tricks and how to train them?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Reaction score
I have a miniature horse (gelding) and I want to trick train it. But, I have no idea how!!!!! I have ideas on basic tricks like to smile, bow, shake head yes/no, I just don't know how to train them!
default_frusty.gif
Please post an idea on trick and how to train it
default_smile.png
thanks!

Claire
default_please.gif
default_luck.gif

PS. He is a show horse, so no things that could effect his career. (Such as pawing)

You should talk to Danielle at All Star Farm, Ohio. She breeds Minis and Gypsy Horses and has trained tons of both breeds to do tricks. Her trick-trained Minis are very well known.

Lizzie

Research clicker training. I got my info off Peggy Hogans website http://www.thebestwhisperisaclick.com/

It is THE best fun. Once you teach them what the clicker is for, they pick up what you want really quick. Got my stallion nodding in under a day last week.

Have fun training!

Tanya larrigans book new sensations or the book called mini school shows how to trick train.

A book I have been recemend end to several times by the locals is Trickenometry. It teaches: bow, lay down and pray, smile, count, wave a flag, and how to stand on a pedistool. I use clicker training when teaching diva new tricks and is works wonders. She now bows, shakes her head 'yes' 'no', hugs, and gives you kisses.

Please check out my youtube videos--
Here;s how to teach your horse to shake their hoof:

If you have any requests, please let me know and I will be uploading more pics this summer =)

You will find that once you start teaching your mini tricks that it will become more alert and "smarter". The reason is because they will learn to learn and just like most people, they learn to enjoy learning.

Not to mention the added benifit of learning to trust the handler unconditionaly. Two examples: the first one was with my three abreast just before a parade. The oldest member of the team was trick trained, one of the tricks is to sit from standing. This is my middle, lead, horse. the off side horse decided to be a poop and I really don't know how it happened but he managed to hook a hind foot in the backstrap of the middle horse, then he fell. This put pressure on the middle horse, so he sat to relieve the pressure. We were easily able to un hook the off horse and the lead horse stayed sitting till he was told to rise!

The second example is a lot the same. My Quarab stallion knows a lot of tricks, also sitting from standing. My grown daughter was riding him when a pitbull escaped and attacked them. Long story short, the dog latched onto the stallion's flank and managed to trip the horse. The horse ended up sitting on top of the dog, allowing my daughter a chance to step off safely. The horse was able, because of his training to remain calm which saved my daughter's life.

So needless to say, I am a big fan of trick training.

All my horses know how to beg. It lets them express their opinion in a "good way" - no more pinned ears and crabby faces, or thinking about running me over for cookeis! My two big guys learned to bow for cookies. However, on my mini, he "begs" by setting up and parking out! It's humorous at times, someone wll be eatng something in the barn, Cloudy parksout and sets up like a champ!!

Will be super easy to set him up nicely in classes we are allowed to bait in!

Yet another training tactic from the dog show world should work great in the Ring! Chuckles. Great thread... Trickonometry on order from Amazon...

Latest posts

Back