Ideas for SPEED HARNESSING

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I understanding this, with a quick hitch setup you don't need britching or traces? OK this sounds TOO good to be true!
Wouldn't that involve the same problems as thimbles or show harnesses -- the only brakes would be the saddle?

On a flat race track or in an arena would be one thing, but I'd want breeching anywhere else.

Edited to say:

Whoops! Edited and answered by Leia before I could post!

Last edited by a moderator:
My quick hitch harness has a breast strap that snaps to rings on the saddle. The thimbles take the place of breeching. Snap snap and you are hitched.

BUT it is not really suitable for significant maneuvering or backing with a load. I use mine strictly for excercising or pleasure jaunts in the sulky. Admittedly, it is so easy to use, that sometimes I should be working the horses in the cart and taking the trouble to put on the regular harness, and instead elect to go out for pleasure!

Maybe you can tell from this photo. There is a crupper, which doesn't show.

I've enjoyed reading the suggestions for speeding up the hitching. I had to change horses at a show one time. Even though all I was doing was changing the cart from one horse to another--the other horse already had the harness on--it still took time and I felt pressured, making the class wait. Harnessing properly just takes time.

cloudmoving.jpg

Think about it Whitney- no breeching and no traces means the horse is pulling from the saddle again.
Actually, you would use a "Buxton" (very similar to the breast strap like in Marsha's photo above) in place of the breast traces, where the horse is still pulling from the chest/shoulders, not the saddle.

Hmmm.....
default_unsure.png
I think it would definitely be fun to try and great for straight line trotting with a light load on a flat smooth surface (which is what it was created for, after all) but I'm not at all sure how comfortable it would be for the horse on hilly bumpy cross-country drives or anything with fast turns/stops. Definitely fun to consider though!

Trust me, on any race track, there are still VERY FAST TURNS to contend with, LOL. That's where most the "precision" tactics come into play for the most skilled race drivers. That's where the MOST FUN of racing comes into action....then again, that final homestretch sure packs some competitive drama as well.
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

Tanya- Is there any place that sells a Buxton in Mini size that you know of? I've thought several times about a quick hitch set up, but cant find a Mini Buxton. I have a mare who can be tricky to hook and a quick hitch for at home would be perfect. She is perfect if you just let her walk while you hook her(she's a hot little ticket), but that can get frustrating while trying to do wrap straps, etc. A Quick Hitch set up would make life easier for both her and myself.

Jen

Hi Jen,

Back when we raced up there in Maine, I think Cheryl Coffman was just starting to get into selling mini tack, and her husband, Gene, was making them custom fit to order. I believe they were calling their new mini tack business "Goldcup Mini Tack" or something like that. It's been about 2 or 3 years since I've heard from them though, so not sure if they are still in business or not. I believe they still race their SB's up there though, so you should be able to contact them through most anyone there across from you there at the Cumberland Raceway Fairgrounds. If not, let me know, and I'll see if I can find contact information through some of our old friends up there nearby in Buckfield where they live. If Gene doesn't make them anymore, I'm sure he could point you to someone who could.

Something you might can try though, (if Gene doesn't sell them anymore, or know of anyone else) you can use a regular Martingale and just add the extra strap that goes over the withers and buckles onto the harness saddle. That's all a Buxton really is. You can see one that the SB folks use there on the Big D's website under "Race Equipement" and just modify a regular mini martingale into a mini buxton. Most any tack repair shop could likely do that for you too, if you don't have leather & hardware on hand to do one at home.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need me to try to find contact info for Gene & Cheryl.
default_wub.png

ADDING TO NOTE: I think Gene races his SB's mostly at Scarborough Downs, and sometimes at Farmington & Skowhegan, but mostly at Scarborough.
default_wub.png

If I remember correctly.
default_unsure.png

I wonder how much weight is ACTUALLY on the saddle with this setup?

I have spectated at MANY harness races and SWA is SO right good drivers pull those horses out QUICK to pass, and some of those turns its surprising they aren't up on one wheel!

The Buxton is attached to the saddle which is attached to the shafts....am I right in thinking that it does pull first on the saddle and then is stopped and the pressure transfers to the Buxton?

This is ONE COOL THREAD, I LOVE NEW THINGS!

Latest posts

Back