Ideas for Obstacle Trail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RescueMini

Reaction score
I'm planning on going to my first AMHR and AMHA shows this spring and summer and I am coming up with a list of obstacles to practice in preparation for Obstacle Trail. I have all of the basics obstacles and maneuvers written down; it's basically all of the stuff I have encountered at the local non-rated miniature horse shows. What I am looking for are the more advanced maneuvers or obstacles you guys have seen in obstacle trail over the years at the breed shows, or any ideas of possible obstacles that might show up. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and if you guys have any tips for showing at breed shows, that would be great!

I hope you do well. I would like to know as well.

I got a book that shows some in it .

I will have to look for it.

Being able to side pass over a flower box with tall flowers, have your horse ground to while you sit down, having to back up at weird angles, small bridges.

I made up my own for Éowyn, practicing at home. I started out by walking over a tarp with water, then go to a large rubber dog dish and have her front feet in there, and turn (disengaging her hind quarters). Then being ground tied, I walk around her, then she backs through an L shaped walk way. I practice other things with her as well--we need to work on the water part though XD

Have you also looked at Youtube videos? They have some from A/R nationals that show trail class

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent video showing some of the harder obstacles. Others are trotting over elevated poles, walking under a "waterfall" obstacle, over a teeter totter bridge, over a very narrow board, especially if it has a black circle on it which most horses think is a big gaping hole! Some of the simplest looking ones can be the most difficult, like walking over a bridge with a ground pole set diagonally across it. Touch the pole and you lose points. Or walking over closely spaced poles in a W or similar shape. Water obstacles can be interesting. Ground tying next to a bale of hay or bucket of grain.

Thanks so much everyone! Those ideas are great and I'll definitely be trying them out over my spring break.

Does anyone have the links to the YouTube videos? So far I've only found a few from World and Nationals and would love to see more.

And targetsmom, I know what you mean with the simple obstacles being the most challenging! I've found that out over the years at the local open miniature horse shows.

For the rocking bridge, would adding a pole underneath a normal bridge work?

I was also wondering if there was a specific spacing for the trot overs, as well as a specific height that they are elevated to. I haven't been able to finding information on that anywhere. Thanks for all of the input!

Check rules books for allowed obstacles, spacing, heights, etc. For a teeter totter bridge, we put wooden strips under it, a few inches apart and then set it on a PVC pole that fits between the strips. Without the strips to hold the pole in place I think it would be too dangerous.

Latest posts

Back