Ideas for bored minis??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slonewbt

Reaction score
Hi all! Life has been busy and I haven't had time to get my little ones out as much as I'd like. They get some turnout and have quite large runs but I'm finding that two of them are getting particularly bored and have begun eating their own manure. I can't allow them to munch on forage all day as they are super easy keepers and can empty even the tiniest netting hay nets in minutes. They have portagrazer feeders. They get measured feed and ration balancer and their weights are good currently. They don't do this when I'm driving them regularly. does anyone have ideas to keep them occupied whilst in their runs? Thanks in advance!1

Have you tried toys? Mine love those big balls from walmart, hula hoops and dog rope chew toys, from dollar store, small traffic cones, plastic jugs with rocks inside. They don't always play with them but the toys do "move around" so I know they do. Their favorite is the scratch on toy I made them. Two big balls stuffed in a small hole hay net and attached top & bottom to a wood corner post.
But then again a few of them do eat poop sometimes, also this time of year they start eating their bedding/shavings. I think it's instinct and they are trying to put on fat for the winter.

Hi, I have three miniature donkeys the diet and exercise are key for sure. I use toys and tracks. We have hot wire tracks to let everyone out and run and roll and play it really helps. No grazing muzzle is needed in the spring and summer months. :)

Have you tried toys? Mine love those big balls from walmart, hula hoops and dog rope chew toys, from dollar store, small traffic cones, plastic jugs with rocks inside. They don't always play with them but the toys do "move around" so I know they do. Their favorite is the scratch on toy I made them. Two big balls stuffed in a small hole hay net and attached top & bottom to a wood corner post.
But then again a few of them do eat poop sometimes, also this time of year they start eating their bedding/shavings. I think it's instinct and they are trying to put on fat for the winter.

Those are all great ideas! I have a jolly ball in there but that's it. I'll have to head to the dollar store or thrift to see what I can find. I'm glad to hear it's sort of a normal thing this time of year and not harmful....just kinda gross!

Love your donkey track Melody and the donkeys! We have one mini donkey, inherited from a friend who passed away. Madelaine has been a learning curve! 🤣

Is the donkey in your nifty avatar a Mammoth?

One thing to note: sometimes manure eating in herbivores (and sometimes carnivores if they're eating herbivore droppings) is to repopulate the gut with healthy microbes. You most often see foals doing this when they begin to eat mom's dropping shortly after birth.

You might want to add some pre- and pro-biotics to their feed for a week or two. Even if their supplements indicate it's in there, they might need a boost as their summer diet is morphing into winter.

One thing to note: sometimes manure eating in herbivores (and sometimes carnivores if they're eating herbivore droppings) is to repopulate the gut with healthy microbes. You most often see foals doing this when they begin to eat mom's dropping shortly after birth.

You might want to add some pre- and pro-biotics to their feed for a week or two. Even if their supplements indicate it's in there, they might need a boost as their summer diet is morphing into winter.
Good point. He’s also cushings and on a restricted diet due to recent laminitis. Lots of issues w this guy. 😒😢

Latest posts

Back