IBS and Ostio-arthristis in knee

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
I was diagnosed in High School (OK, I'm in my 50's) with IBS. Suffered with it for years and years until a Dr. decided to try Probiotics-OMG! Almost instant turnaround. Needless to say I gained weight!
default_thud.gif
Gosh-I can actually eat!!! (well-there ARE things I still won't touch). Had a very few minor flare ups here and there; and now-BAM!
default_frusty.gif
it's raised it's ugly little head again! I have practically forgotten what I used to eat (don't know how-it wasn't a long list). I suppose whatever stress and the extreme heat hasn't helped (though I stay in and totally veg-out; not good either). Then to top it off I get Ostio-arthritis in my left knee
default_frusty.gif
. First flare up lasted about 5 days and I do P.T. for about 3-4 weeks and I'm good to go. Now it pops up again-worse. The horse looked great in the ring (halter)-but they should have tossed me out for unsoundness-LOL! I am bad about do excercise-but I just joined a fitness center (with Dr.'s OK) and am going to start with riding a recumbant bike and going in the pool (can't really swim-but it's a lap pool) where they also have aqua aerobics. OK, I'm just grousing and feeling sorry for myself-want to trade gripes a little????
default_thud.gif

I don't have either problem, yet, so don't know much about either.

Try a different probiotic, they are all just a little different, so perhaps a different type would work for you.

Wish I was close to a pool or a gym, although, when I was, I wasn't very good about going.

Thanks. I actually just switched probiotics yesterday-to a very exellent one. I was just eating Dannon Activia yogurt-which seemed to have done the trick for all these past years; but I know dairy is a big no-no with most IBS sufferers-so maybe it isn't effective anymore with the dairy. My new probiotic is a powder I can put in cereal, cold beverages, etc. And I need to revert back to an IBS style diet. I have been eating pretty "bad" lately. I, too, am not very good about keeping up going to the "gym"- but am going to really try again (and with eating correctly). What happened to the weight loss thread they had on here? Is it still active?

ok, i'll play! i don't know anything about IBS but i could write a book about osteoarthritis. i had both of my hips replaced 12 years ago. thankfully, last year's x-rays showed they are almost as good as the day i had them "installed". my left hip joint shows a tiny bit of wear in the cup but we'll keep an eye on it.

i have bad knees. had my right knee x-rayed a few months ago. i am bone-on-bone so i'll be looking at total knee replacement somewhere down the line, hopefully not for a year or two. the cortisone shot really helped. i'm babying it along for now.

i had some blown disks in my back, had some pretty extension surgery 15 months ago. i let it go for so long that one of the disks bulged so badly that it put a "kink" in my spinal cord. i'm not big on going to the doctor so i just endured the pain and the numbness in my feet and legs. finally broke down and had an MRI. doctor said if i didn't have surgery immediately, i stood a good chance of ending up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. had the surgery, recovered well, and as long as i don't over-do (yeah, riiiiight!), i'm good to go. not supposed to lift more than 30# (shhhhh, don't tell on me). the x-rays and MRI also showed i have arthritis in my spine. no big surprise there.

i'm a walking, talking train wreck but the good days far outweigh the bad! heck, i spent almost 5 hours on my tractor yesterday, mowing the pastures. slept like a baby last night!
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!!! What am I complaining about-right? I know many people who had the knee replacements-but the thought of them putting something foreign in there gives me the heebie-jeebies!
default_thud.gif
Maybe I should ask the Dr. if she thinks I should have another x-ray to check it's status now (a year later). I am getting tired of hobbling and babying-but maybe that's where I'm at. I should know how to handle the IBS; but I get so tired of it.
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
But as you said Charlene; the good days DO outweigh the bad!
default_giveup.gif

Having a knee replacement was the best thing for me! I was so getting tired of falling down. I went to my Grandaughters wedding and fell down twice, once at the airport and once at the motel. Not to mention all the fallin at home. I fell once while feeding in the morning and smashed my lip, blacked both eyes and broke my hand. Now I need my hip replaced, but am putting it off since I have no one to help with the horses, as one of my daughters lives here, but has a brain tumor, and a three yr. old. Her husband spends all his time caring for her and his son. My husband helps but is not well also, life is hard somtimes, seems like it's only getting worse. When the going gets tough, the tough get going, and hang in there.

Latest posts

Back