IBHA to Allow Minis in 2015

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori W

Reaction score
Similar to the Pinto Association (PtHA), the International Buckskin Horse Association has voted to allow buckskin, grullo and dun Miniature Horses to register and show in their IBHA sanctioned shows beginning in 2015. The animal must be registered first with AMHA or AMHR before it is eligible for registry with IBHA.

I've been approached by the local regional IBHA club to provide them with some information and guidance about minis, what classes to offer, etc. They are wanting to test the waters this year by allowing minis of any coat color to show in a few open classes, to see what kind of response they get from the Miniature Horse community.

Just looking for some opinions. So, thoughts about this? Let's hear from you...

I think it will be great to have another place to show our minis and let another audience see what the small equines can do. I dont know if we have any shows in our area but would probably check into it if they do add minis.

I think this is great. I asked a few years ago if they registered minis and they said no because their classes did not include a lot of ponies or small equine. I would love having another place /way to show my minis. One thing I would suggest, would be to encourage IBHA to consider wcmhr minis as well as PtHA does. My reasoning (as I know wcmhr is not as respected as A/R ) because many of the color horses being dually registered for performance showing and not breeding. At least this is my observation. If they took wcmhr animals it would get them more applicants and generate income while allowing more mini owners to have more options to show their horses. Yes some breeders think the more papers a horse has the better and may try to paper horses wherever they can thinking they're improving their value. But someone serious about breeding minis of color would appreciate the recognition papers offer, after all if the mini can have the genetics for pinto or buckskin traits that make them a pinto or buckskin why shouldn't they have papers? I personally get a lot of buyers looking for a horse to show, not to breed and having more places and options to show helps with this, especially in areas like mine where there are limited mini shows in the region. I have AMHA but no AMHR shows in the area

So my R horses dont show as much, but I have a TON of pinto shows, rated ones even and a lot of open shows with color halter classes in which minis are welcome with appropriate papers. This would be a great opportunity for minis and I hope it works out.

That is wonderful!!!!

Now if we could convince the appaloosa club to do this!

One thing I would suggest, would be to encourage IBHA to consider wcmhr minis as well as PtHA does. My reasoning (as I know wcmhr is not as respected as A/R ) because many of the color horses being dually registered for performance showing and not breeding.
I'll have to check what the ruling actually says - it may already also include those registered WCMHR as well.

Latest posts

Back