IAMHA Seminars and Sale Review

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWC sr.

Reaction score
There have been some questions about the recent IAMHA/MHA Seminars and Show Prospect Sale. I wanted to tell everyone about the day and how it has unfolded.

First let me say that the horses brought next to nothing and a lot of good folks got some real deals on some horses that hopefully will be loved and enjoyed by the new owners. The founding members had several objectives when deciding to put the seminars & sale on:

1. To expose as many new people to the American Miniature Horse as possible.

2. To offer seminars to as many people as possible that would be educational and an easy learning experience.

3. To offer for sale as many well bred miniatures, trained for as many disciplines as possible, regardless of the price they brought.

4. To raise some money for Toys for Tots and garner as many gifts as possible for them also.

5. Last but not least, try to provide direction and raise money to continue the marketing efforts of IAMHA/MHA.

I can tell you that all objectives were achieved, except possibly the last one. The seminars & sale were advertized in all three of the miniature magazines, on web sites such as “Lil Beginnings”, to all media sources within a 150 mile radius of the venue, and to as many 4-H and FFA contacts as we could find.
default_wacko.png

But for whatever reason: the weather (it was cold as heck), the economy (it is not what any of us want right now LOL), the time of the year etc. etc., theactivity was not attended by as many buyers, either in person or online, as we would have wanted. Nevertheless, that was the least important of all the desires we had for this venue.
default_wink.png

NOW FOR THE GOOD PARTS. We made a $775.00 donation to Toys for Tots along with at least 75 toys.

The seminars were watched by numerous people on the web and in person. And we suspect that many of these folks were new people. At one point we had 90+ people on- line alone watching the seminar presentations according to Mare Stare.

And here is a feel good story that surely will make you laugh and at the same time know that we did indeed make some in-roads into getting the word out about the American Miniature Horse.
default_wub.png

A lady came into the office after the sale and approached me. She said she had bought one of the horses, did not have a trailer and needed help finding some plastic sheeting or trash bags to lay down in the back seat of her Rodeo SUV to transport it home. I was a little taken aback, but proceeded to help her find some. She then lay them down in her back seat, loaded the horse in her back seat, her kids in the front and off she went.
default_yes.gif

We are in the process of trying to find this lady to offer help in proper care etc. information and to try and get some more information. But I think we can safely say she is hooked and that is a good thing. LOL you gotta love that story.
default_biggrin.png

Neat end to an otherwise good day that I really enjoyed being a part of.

Heather at Mare Stare, Double Diamond, The Expo Center, the seminar presenters (Lisa Barnes, Tuffy Acton, Carl Mitz, the AMHA/AMHR parents, the kids in the fashion show and demonstrations), the consignors, the attending clubs/registries, Belinda Bagby, Sami Rudel, Tony Greaves on pedigrees, Gerry of Dos XX as auctioneer and all of the founding member farms ( Cherryville Farms, MCC Farms, Goodsell Miniatures and Willow Crest Farm) all did the jobs they were ask to do in a FIRST CLASS manner and all is well that ends well.
default_wub.png

I want to say a personal “Thanks” to everyone that participated and represented the Miniature industry as well as they did.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

Sincerely,

John Cherry

President IAMHA/MHA

Last edited by a moderator:
HI John I was there and 6 other friends came with me. The lady who bought the little filly that we loaded into her rodeo suv is a first time miniature horse owner. She bought two miniatures on Saturday. We only bought a 2 horse trailer and came home with 5 horses. She was worried that the little filly would be crushed so we loaded her into her SUV.

Here is a picture of her in the back of the SUV and she made the trip with no problems at all. At one time she even fell asleep.

IMG_1145.jpg

(I have the new owner permission to post this pictures).

This filly's name is: Little America King's Queen of the Night.

We are helping her with all the information she will need to care for her two miniatures. I have also given her the IAMHA site so she can find more information. She will be registering on Lil Beginning also. She has a very nice home for them and they will be very well taken care of. Thanks Again.

We had a wonderful time and learned a amazing amount of information. We would like to thank each and everyone of you who put this seminar on for us.

Thanks Carlene Fontenot

Cajun Creole Miniature Horse Farm

Orange, TX

Thank you for the warm fuzzies this morning, John! It's a really, really good thing I wasn't there or I too would have had some new babies!! I applaud all your efforts (and those of your trusty cohorts!) in spreading the WORD of miniature horse ownership to the uninitiated.

and I still want to to come see all your beasties, especially the bearded dragons.....(I taught Reptile Medicine and Surgery at ISU Vet School for 2 years)

I really enjoyed the video of the sale and seminars. Thank you very much . I seen it advertised in several places. Thank you again for a very enjoyable day........
default_smile.png

Even though the prices the horses sold for was for the most part on the low side, you went into it knowing that may be the outcome and agreed beforehand to let them go for that for the sake of breed promotion, so I applaud your efforts! Sounds like a great time was had by those attending, both online and in person and the kids really benefited through your Toys for Tots donation!
default_aktion033.gif

On a side note now...I see you have President of IAMHA/MHA??? I know in the past it used to be IAMHA...what is the MHA for now?

In order to make our marketing dollars stretch futher under Texas law we set up a Non-Profit organization similar to the Chamber of Commerce type charter. It gives us some protection and also allows us to get some discounts on facilities etc. Eventually the IAMHA side will be phased out as MHA gains name recognition.
default_aktion033.gif

As I told people 2 1/2 years ago when we started this thing it was not an attempt to make money or start a new registry or any thing like that. But rather to try and promote these little guys to the best of our ability for the industry as a whole. We felt that in the process we would benefit everyone including ourselves by strengthening the market overall.
default_yes.gif

So far so good, LOL
default_wink.png

Thanks for asking the question Mona, I was wondering how long it was going to take, before someone noticed the change. LOL
default_new_shocked.gif

John,

You're doing an excellent job promoting the small equine! I wish I could have been there!

Wish you could have been there too Carin and Mona I am never bashful LOL and am glad you ask the question.

Carlene,

I have a request from one of the local news papers to use the picture you posted and they need particulars. If you will contact me via email or phone so I can put them and the lady in touch with each other. More pub. for the little guys LOL'
default_new_shocked.gif

No the IAMHA (International American Miniature Horse Alliance) is a marketing group based out of Santa Fe, Texas. ICAMHA is a completely different group.

Latest posts

Back