I would like to know how many people feel

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LisaF.

for their miniatures if this rule goes through on measuring at the base of the whethers.

I DO NOT feel secure. I have always been very serious in getting the correct height for my miniatures. Sometimes my husband gets frustrated because I measure so many times because I want it to be correct.

I am EXTREMELY careful when clipping around the mane. I am just as careful around the mane as I am around the eye.

When I sell a miniature I want the customer to know the exact height.

For example - I like to breed 31" to 33" mares to my 30" stallion. So, if I buy looking at that height range I don't want to have a mare that shows up 30" or 34". ( Now if I agree to a 30" mare or a 34" mare that is different...I was just using that as an example).

So, if I dont' want a mare showing up at my farm 1" off..then I sure don't want to send someone a mare from my farm 1" off.

I am not comfortable measureing at the Base of the Whethers. Maybe I am one of the few...I really don't know...but, I am scared to measure that way. I can't seem to find the right place.

I know I used mare in my post- but, that includes Stallions, Colts, Mares or filly's.

Lisa, Ideally in a perfect scenario I'd like people to come to my farm and measure the horse for themselves. I surely do not want to be caught misrepresenting in height or anything else. So I take a picture or movie of the horse being measured and then it can be zoomed and get a close up of where the bubble on the stick is and the location of where you placed the stick.
default_biggrin.png

Interesting though: I have two mares that are the same size when stood next to each other at the back, until they are measured technically by the last mane hair. The last mane hair stops at different places on them so it makes them not the same size anymore when they really are by the stick. Ain't this fun?
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

From what I have observed at different shows I used to show, the horses were being measured at the base of the withers anyway. Right or wrong, that's what I've observed. Every now and then I'll see someone actually measure at the last hairs. Most people leave the hair long at the last mane hairs hopeing to get a smaller measurment anyway.

There is no way possible to get the exact height of any horse. There are too many variables in measuring. The hooves may be trimmed differently this time, or the horse is a little more tense this time than last, it may have more fat buildup along the back and withers. The horse may be standing a little different or there may be a little arch in the surface.

Measuring a horse is like an automobile inspection sticker. At that given moment, at that given time, the car was safe. It goes around the corner and the brakes go out and it crashes. Same thing with horse measurments. At that given time, at that given place, the horse measures ........

I know I can measure at the base of the withers, I can measure at the point of withers, the last hairs, well, depends on how the horse is shaved. How many have slipped and made a 30" horse a 32" horse with a slip of the clippers. Been there, done that. Also, no one is pressing the fact that horses are exemp until what, 2015 or so? What's the problem? Granted, changing the way horses are measured is a little sticky but, like others have said, things change. Some for the better, some for the worse.

When measureing at the last hair of the mane..I move my horses around several times on a level surface.

What I am trying to say....Is I can't find the SPOT that AMHA is wanting us to start measuring at. Like I said, maybe I am the only one having trouble finding that spot. I don't know..that is why I asked.

I didn't ask for another debate ( or I would NOT have started another thread)...I only want to know if anyone else is having problems finding the CORRECT SPOT like I am.

I can, and have, measured the same horse on our level slate sidewalk and get four different numbers. I think anyone "in" minis knows how that goes. I just tell them honestly, I got these numbers... I do try to "over measure" if I know the height is really important and give the tallest if I know they are concerned the horse not be too tall. I'd rather in that case they find the horse slightly shorter than they expected.

I sure do not want to get into the controversy about where and if you measure at different places on the back which is better. All I can say is that we have measured over 45 of our horses so far since this all started and have not had a problem with either way as far as major deviations. We do a lot of business with the European countries and because they all tend to measure at the highest point of the withers we are a little more used to working around these type problems I guess. That makes us a little wierd in some peopels eyes I know. :DOH!

But to be completely honest about it, if I had my druthers we would all be measuring at the top of the withers like the rest of the equine world, but as long as measuring is done consistently whichever way finally is settled on is fine by us. We will adhere to whatever the rest of the mini world decides on. There is just too many others things in our world that requires stressing over and I do not need to add this to that list.
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

I do not know if I have the right 'spot' for measuring at the base of the withers. If I decide on a spot for a particular horse, then I could measure at that spot all day long. The problems is that I don't know if someone else would pick that 'same' spot to measure on that horse. And, I can't tell that I am picking the 'same' spot on the next horse I measure.

There is just too many others things in our world that requires stressing over and I do not need to add this to that list.
AMEN to that!
default_aktion033.gif

If there's a top of the withers, then there will be a bottom of the withers. One should be able to be found as easy as the other. I guess I just don't see where the problem is with finding it. And as with measuring at the last hairs of the mane, no two people will likely get the same measurement.

I, for one as with John, am not going to stress over it.

I found this "spot" very easy to find and measure. Didn't make much of a differance in height for most of my horses I measured either and I think many people, including stewards, have been measuring there already just cause it is easier to identify than the last mane hair. I really don't understand all the hackle raising over this one.

Do you still use the same measuring stick to measure to the bottom of the withers? I have one with a level I have used for measuring to the last hairs of the mane. Do I just hold it next to the horse, get it level and measure?

I for one think I measure more on the taller side.......for example I went to buy a horse and was told they where 28" got there measured 30" the lady walked him around brought him back and he measured 29" I saw it with my own eyes........I get him home measure him and I got 31" and continued to get 31" everytime I did it. I always figure there can be an inch difference in the way people measure but I have no idea what was off in this case.
default_wacko.png

I do not feel that I can measure accurately at the last mane hair, nor can I even get consistent measurements at shows. The same stallion that shrank 2 inches (29" to 27") in a month as a yearling, shrank 2 inches in the last week. He was 32" at a show on the 17th and 30" on the 24th. And it isn't from having his feet trimmed because they are way too long!

I can't find the base of the withers, so I am not even going to try measuring there.

I found the spot with no problem. My horses tend to have withers with the exception of my smallest ones. On the tiny ones under 31 inches there was very little if any different in the height.

In my larger ones built more horse like with more prominent withers the difference was much greater.

In fact one mare whose papers I turned in as she is 35.00 at the Last mane hairs is now easily a 34 inch horse. I have another who was a bit over an inch smaller who again easily measures in now.

I really don't feel it will effect the smaller ones much but only the taller ones. I also found the spot was easier to find on the larger horses with more withers then the tiny ones.

I don't think I have ever put a stick on a horse, full size or Mini, and got the exact same measurement twice and that is measuring at the top of the withers or the last hair of the mane or the base of the withers. Like several have said, why stress about it?

I am stressing because I am having problems with my measurements. I must be doing something wrong.

For the one's that aren't having a problem...I don't mean to be dumb...but, can you tell me how to find it?

I did find a diagram to try and help me out.

PLEASE...I really don't want a debate on this thread. We have other threads for a debate. I just need help finding the Base of the Whethers.

Mary Lou...or someone...please delete this post for me.

I think I was overtired and worded my message wrong in the subject lines.

I was just trying to find help on how to measure from the BOTW.....and some people are just trying to turn in into a debate again.

I will try to word my subject line better next time.

Thank you for the ones that were trying to help me figure out how to measure from the BOTW

Well I can't find the spot either.. and I am not about to skin the horses down to bone to find it..
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back