I wonder why a potential buyer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I don't understand when I get a request, people don't seem to want to give me info about there situation, they do state there needs or wants but I need to know more, if they have minis or horse experience is good to know. How old the kids are and how much contact will kids have, do they want a very friendly mini, etc? I like to know where they live too so I know if shipping is involved. It seems I have to pull this out of just about everyone. I explain that I'm not being nosey but need to know more about them so I know which horses to offer them so that they're happy and so is the horse. I hate to see the horses not work out and then they want me to take them back or they get resold right away. I'm not talking about an inquiry for on specific horse but an inquiry such as "what do you have for a family with kids". I don't want to sell one baby to a family who has no other minis and no horse experience, I would see if I could make them a good deal on two and guide them on there venture into minis. I won't sell a first time bred mare to a family with no horse experience. So on and so on, I just don't know why they seem to not want to tell me more about themselves. I dont' know how else I can make a good future partnership there and even though I am trying to downsize, I won't just push my horses down the road to any home. Or am I being to nosey?

I don't know if I explained this well enough or with the right words.

I know what you mean.

If I were you my response would be:

"I have several nice horses for sale. Please be more specific in what you would require from a horse to suit your needs, and your experience if you have any, plans, future goals, etc. so that I can be better able to help you choose the right one."

We've experienced this also! It's very frustrating! I think it comes down to the personality of the individual. Some people just are complely open and tell you everything, and others seem totally unresponsive. Guess we all would like to sell a horse to someone whom we like and think will care for them properly.

Marnie,

You are NOT alone. I've experienced it too. I think what Marty wrote is very good.

MA

Be Glad I wasn't buying a Fjord horse from you.

The Poor Seller probably thought I was a mad woman for all the questions I asked!
wacko.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
5 very long pages of them!

Here, Here!!! It drives me crazy! I get this with minis and my dogs, chinese cresteds and affenpinschers, too. And with the dogs we have to worry about the puppy mill people trying to buy breeding stock! I get so many emails with no info at all about what they want, what sex, for pet or show or breeding, on and on and on. And Im always asking for more info. I even send a whole list of questions back to them and I tell them I am just trying to see what they would be most interested in and that way I dont waste all our time trying to sell them a stallion when they want a weanling filly! And still they send me no info back!! U would think people would realize we only want to get ouur animals into the correct good homes where the people and critters are all happy.

I know exactly what you mean Marnie..I had a inquiery this spring and when I asked where they lived I got a reply -WEST of you..duh..how far west 50 miles or 2000 miles..I asked for the state and got a very disturbing reply..that it is sellers like me that make buyers shy away from minis
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif

Glad they never got One of mine..
biggrin.gif

Or am I being to nosey?
Not at all. You are being a responsible & caring breeder............... I almost always have to ask the first questions. I am not one that will tell a buyer that my horse will do what they expect it to do without first finding out what they want it for & what their experience is. I surely would not want my horse to end up in a neglected uncaring environment. If the buyer is not happy, my horse may not be happy thus I am not happy...................................... Your post does remind me of a situation a few years back though. A man dropped in that did not know anything about miniature horses & was asking several questions. We gave him a crash course in pet & show quality, bloodlines & other info based on our experiences......... After he left here he dropped in on another local farm. Well it got back to me later that they were saying that our horses were too good to sell to that man.
wacko.gif
That is not what was conveyed on our end.
ohmy.gif
We were trying to help the man make an informed decision on his first mini purchase. Lee & I have tried to stay with quality & not quanity. In dealing with first time buyers it needs to be determined whether they want a pet or show & breeding quality................... I feel it is a breeders responsibility to find suitable homes for the animals they bring into this world. If the information is not volunteered then questions need to be asked. My opinion & I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
while I don't always remember to use it in every email in a correspondence, I do at least have an email signature file set up so that in text a person I am corresponding with can see my name, farm, mailing address, webpage, and phone number. apparently thats more info that most people feel comfortable in supplying, until they get to know someone. but if you want to be taken seriously, as a buyer or a seller, please incude regular contact info to establish who you are.

I always start with "may I ask you what you want the horse for, your background,e xperience, etc.". haven't had anyone tell me I couldn't ask, but many times they are afraid to release too much information at first. I can understand that. while I am personally pretty open about everything, I have to remember to be cautious about how much I tell someone I don't know about where we live, how valuable our horses are, and when we're not at home.

of course, I keep our farm listed in the AMHR breeder listing, and the LB breeder connect, and someone (not always us, many times others in our club) sells a horse every year because of it.

at the same time, I am now telling internet inquiries that for us to sell, we will need references. I've been burned badly three times now (trying to be nice to people), and its finally soaking in that it might not be accidental that folks don't give you their information up front.

maybe we should take the examole of the BLM or a local animal shelter, and make a form for prospective buyers to fill out listing references, experience with animals, and decribing their facilities.

I know exactly what you mean. Some people that inquire want to tell you absolutely nothing--they don't want to divulge their location, their horse experience, what they want a horse for--breeding? driving around home? CDE? 4-H projoct for a child? showing? Pasture ornament? Do they want one with a bit of life? Dead quiet? How far away from me are they? Are they aware of what the shipping cost will be? If the potential buyer doesn't want me to know any of that, I have to think there's something wrong somewhere--and it probably isn't a home I care to sell to. We're not mail-order!
laugh.gif

Oh Marnie, you aren't nosey. I'm the same way. If I inquire about a horse I usually will give that info without being asked. As a buyer and a seller I like tons of info.

That said..I know I'm cutting back and have to keep the herd down til I'm better...it sure would help if you'd QUIT advertising horses I'd give my eye teeth for. SHEESH! The one I saw yesterday made me grind my teeth!!!!! Good thing I like you and I'm BROKE as well as broken.
wacko.gif

BIG SIGH>>>>>>>>>>>>
unsure.gif

I would suggest, if you don't want to be bothered by potiental buyers who don't want to devulge information that you want disclosed is to post in your ad that you will be asking questions and only people who are qualified will be sold a horse. This can save both you and the buyer alot of time. I think there are people who answer ads or respond to internet advertising who think they should be able to buy a horse with out being asked a lot of questions...sort of like buyers that would buy from a catalog or those selling from a catalog not asking for references..the money is what matters! In buying and selling both, I want to be treated fairly and also will disclose what I can offer but most of the time I don't want to devulge this unless I first know if the seller has something I want. First time buyers need to be treated a little differently than experienced buyers because they don't know all the protocols of a seller and therefore it is up to the seller to eduacte them of how they sell a horse and their reasons. Perhaps you could make a list up your way of selling and post it on your website, then people are aware that many questions could be asked before you will sell a horse to them....just a suggestion. Mary

Marnie said:
I don't understand when I get a request, people don't seem to want to give me info about there situation, they do state there needs or wants but I need to know more, if they have minis or horse experience is good to know. How old the kids are and how much contact will kids have, do they want a very friendly mini, etc? I like to know where they live too so I know if shipping is involved. It seems I have to pull this out of just about everyone. I explain that I'm not being nosey but need to know more about them so I know which horses to offer them so that they're happy and so is the horse. I hate to see the horses not work out and then they want me to take them back or they get resold right away. I'm not talking about an inquiry for on specific horse but an inquiry such as "what do you have for a family with kids". I don't want to sell one baby to a family who has no other minis and no horse experience, I would see if I could make them a good deal on two and guide them on there venture into minis. I won't sell a first time bred mare to a family with no horse experience. So on and so on, I just don't know why they seem to not want to tell me more about themselves.  I dont' know how else I can make a good future partnership there and even though I am trying to downsize, I won't just push my horses down the road to any home. Or am I being to nosey?       I don't know if I explained this well enough or with the right words.

464812[/snapback]

I also think there are some people who seem to equate buying a horse with buying groceries- they are offering the money- so what business is it of yours where they live, what they are going to do with it etc, after all, would you ask these questions before you sold someone a can of peas?? Some people, thankfully few, do not get that we actually do care where our babies go- they seem to think that the fact we are selling them means we will sell them to anyone!!

I am like that with every animal thet I sell or give away. I also let them know that if it turns out to be a bad natch, that I will take the animal back. Lisa

I am like that with any animal that I sell or give away. I also let tham know that if it turns out to be a bad match, I will take the animal back.

Marnie, I totally understand. Marty's response is a good one.

I too, will not sell a maiden mare in foal to someone without experience., I don't really want to sell any mare in foal to anyone without foaaling experience,I really dislike selling a weanling if he will be alone,unless there will be another one coming very soon, its just not fair. I want to know where they will be kept(not in a metal garden shed in someone's tiny back yard) etc. I have come to the conclusion that if my gut tells me NO, I should believe it and say NO sale.

I think that perhaps many people are caught off guard, as they are just thinking that you will be happy- if they buy the horse, and that is that.. There are alot of miniatures that people just are trying to sell any way they can, and dont bother to ask any questions that may make the potential buyer uncomfortable.. So when when they come across a person who cares like you, they are thrown off by your concern.. When ever any one asks me about a horse that I am selling I always awnser there question, and then ask a question, (or two) in the same reply e-mail to them ...Like where do you live.. or do you allready have horses? This way they have to awnser me if they are still intrested in my horse and they "dont get overwhelmed by too many questions at once"... If they dont answer one of my questions I ask it again in the next e-mail...They figgure out real quick that in order to get my cooperation to find out about the horse they are intrested in, they need to comply, and awnser my questions... People who dont, I dont respond to.. its that simple.

Marnie, you are just being a caring and responsible breeder. I have been trying to sell 5 horses for several months with very limited interest. I'm going to really start advertising locally as I think the price of gas has really hurt long distance sales. This way I can also get to know the buyer and hopefully not get burned via the internet. I will not take them to an auction as I want to know where they go. I will winter them and hope they sell next year if I have to.

I also have 2 horses that I would love to find pet homes for but I have to be sure that one won't be bred and that the other one would receive proper vet care if the condition worsened. I'd love for them to be shown so would like their papers to go with them but then there is no guarantee that they won't be bred (one has ERU and one had a terrible dystocia). Until I find them perfect homes they will be with me. I truly feel that I have a responsibility to care for these horses.

Kareng

Latest posts

Back