I wish I could explain it to my dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wood

Reaction score
Yesterday morning, I found my dogs very best friend (our cat Lucy) dead on the gravel road in front of our house after having been hit by a car. I cried for myself.....and have now cried for my dog. He won't stop looking for her!
default_crybaby.gif
That cat and dog loved eachother so much and were always together. He wanders all around the farm looking for her. It absolutely breaks my heart
default_crybaby.gif

Connie, I am so sorry about your cat
depresse.gif

I think if you can sit quietly, one on one, with your dog and tell him what happened and hug him, he will understand what has happened to Lucy.

I'm just so sorry
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry to hear about your cat, I agree with Jill, sit down and tell your dog with your heart. Besides it always helps to hug while your crying.

I am so sorry for yours and your dogs loss. Okie our 1/2 Aussie 1/2 Coyote lost her full sister to cancer when she was 5 yo. Okie literally greaved her self sick. They were, as yours, best of buds. Okie looked high and low for her non stop. Madison had passed about 2 weeks and Okie had a terrible seizure. We rushed her to the vet. Vet said she was beside herself with grief, to pay extra-extra attention to her. After 3 days at the vet she came home. That was 3 yrs ago, and Okie will be on seizure meds the rest of her life. Keep him close and give him lots of luvins, maybe get another cat/friend for him to buddy with? I am very sorry ...HUGS Theresa

I am so very sorry for both you and for Lucy's best friend......Everyone is right. Wrap your arms around your sweet dog and tell him. You might also try picturing your experience of finding her in your mind. It will be hard for both of you.
default_no.gif

With picturing the experience in your mind, try to remember good times as well and then your kitty going to heaven and having the time of its life. And don't be afraid to cry in front of your dog. Sometimes that helps them switch gears into comforting you and finding new purpose.

I just recently had a very similar experience, too. Give your dog extra, extra attention. It will take a week or so for the dog to finally realize the kitty isn't coming back. I know how heartbreaking this can be, may you find peace in your grief.

If you cannot get through to your dog on your own, you can always contact Bonnie and have her have a chat with him. I am sure that would work and put the dogs mind and heart at ease.

I'm so sorry about your kitty!
default_crybaby.gif

I agree with the others, look into your dog's eyes and project, as well as tell him what happened. He will understand. {{{Hugs}}} to you both!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I just had to say your story reminded me of "Where the Red Fern Grows." I haven't seen that movie in a while but it always makes me cry. Those dogs had such a close bond.

I'm sorry for your loss; I hope your dog is accepting the loss of her friend now.

We had a similar situation years ago, only in our case Muffy the cat was ill and had to be euthanized. She and our little dog Penny were very close, always sleeping together; if Muffy was away from the yard Penny would go looking for her & bring her back to the yard with her.

The morning I took Muffy to the vet to have her put to sleep Penny stayed at home. When I got back home Penny came to the truck to look for her friend. I opened the box and let her sniff Muffy's body, and I know that she understood. She watched while I burying her friend, and she never once went looking for Muffy--because she'd seen her she knew that she was gone.

I've done the same thing with a horse that was very close with her pasture mate. When he was euthanized in the yard, she stood at the gate calling for him. I brought her out & led her over to his body. She looked him over, smelled him, and then she knew. She still did some calling, but it was different--it was no longer a "WHERE ARE YOU???" sort of call, it was kind of a sad, "I'm lonely without my friend" sort of call.

I'm so sorry about your cat, for you and your dog.

The morning I took Muffy to the vet to have her put to sleep Penny stayed at home. When I got back home Penny came to the truck to look for her friend. I opened the box and let her sniff Muffy's body, and I know that she understood. She watched while I burying her friend, and she never once went looking for Muffy--because she'd seen her she knew that she was gone.
I've done the same thing with a horse that was very close with her pasture mate. When he was euthanized in the yard, she stood at the gate calling for him. I brought her out & led her over to his body. She looked him over, smelled him, and then she knew. She still did some calling, but it was different--it was no longer a "WHERE ARE YOU???" sort of call, it was kind of a sad, "I'm lonely without my friend" sort of call.
I've been rustling with this over my two dogs...it won't be long for the older one, he is declining rapidly (of course he is like the energizer bunny too...he doesn't give up easily)..I don't know if I'm going to let the other dog see him after he is gone, but your post is really making me think maybe I should.

Latest posts

Back