i will lay simon to rest today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
i made this decision several weeks ago. simon is pretty much completely down in his back end...degenerative myelopathy. he is beginning to have incontinence issues and i have watched in agony as the sparkle has left his eyes. he is so sad that he cannot participate in all of the things he has so loved over the years.

of all the dogs i have loved and lost, this will be the one that my heart will never recover from. simon has been my little shadow for 9 years. life without him will be so sad and so strange. i feel every bit as sad today as i did the day i sat by gary's bedside during his last hours.

please pray for simon's journey to be swift and peaceful. my vet will be here at noon. my only consolation is that soon, simon will be running, once again on all four feet, right into gary's arms. maggie will be so glad to see him, too. *sigh*

Simonwallpaper4.jpg

So sorry you have to go through this. We learn to love our fur kids so much. It is really hard to let go but we have to for them and not keep them going for us. Prayers with you and Simon.

I am so sorry, it is never easy letting go but you have the privelage of being with him in his final moments and sending him on knowing he is loved.

He's beautiful Charlene. I'm crying now. I know the pain and I wish I was there to give you a big hug. He knows you love him and he'll be happy you showed him how much when you let him go. I know you'll be watching for signs of his visits later on.

Nothing dies that is remembered and he never will.
default_wub.png

I'm so sorry!

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Oh Charlene, I am so sorry. It is the hardest thing to do when their minds are still so clear and otherwise healthy, but with this disease, you do know when the dog wants to go.

Our Tucker has been down for six months or more and still has his sparkle and joy and can run pretty fast for a dog that drags himself around. This has been a surprise for us since the other two quit pretty fast.

Good luck today, I'll be thinking of you, and aren't you lucky that your vet will come to you.

It is so hard, but the right thing to do.

I am hoping that anybody breeding corgis will test their dogs and do the right thing if there is a chance of passing this on.

Oh no Charlene.....I am soo, sooo sorry to hear this....I will always remember his love of Moxie!!!!!
default_wub.png
:wub

I'll be thinking of you and Simon today....

BIG ((((HUGS))))

~kathryn

oh Charlene, I am so sorry. I know what it's like to lose your Soul Dog...Brutus has been gone 2 weeks and 2 days and I still cry everyday. I have had a very rough time with it, I miss him so much. I ended up joing a pet loss support forum and the people on it are wonderful..it keeps me going.

God speed Simon.
default_no.gif

Hugs Charlene.

thank you all for your kind words and comfort.

sfmini, there is a lot of controversy among the pems breeders about this disease. many are not testing for it, just breeding and producing pups that will very likely pass this scourge along to future generations. until these breeders wake up, this disease will be a plague on an otherwise wonderful breed. for that reason, i will never have another corgi.

i wonder how long before i finally realize i won't have to watch where i step. simon has been my constant shadow for 9 years, always underfoot. i will miss him so much.
default_no.gif

Charlene it breaks my heart that you've had to say good bye to so many of those you love. I guess our only real consolation is knowing that as long as we have memories they're never really gone and that someday there will be a big family reunion. Until then you can be sure Gary is taking good care of those babies.

I am so sorry about simon.I too am a Corgi lover-had them always since 1972 and bred them for a while.They are enchanted little dogs with big hearts.I had a very special Corgi ,Mouse.When he died I cried myself to sleep for 6 months.He was a special needs Corgi-with only 1 eye and mentally handicapped, but he was a love.So sorry about Simon.These little dogs steal our hearts.Run free and without pain,Simon.Say hello to Mouse for me and you guys can chat about the special people who loved you so very much.Again I am so sorry about Simon.

I am sorry about Simon and can relate to what you are going through. I too have that special Corgi that has been the dog of a lifetime and she is starting to lose her rearend. I watch her getting a little worse even on a daily basis and doubt she will make it through the winter. I am mentally preparing for when we say enough.

thank you all, so very much. it helps to know others understand this pain.

bevann, "enchanted" describes them perfectly. both maggie and simon brought so much joy to our lives over the years. there was never a dull moment. my house will be far too quiet after today.
default_sad.png

wcr, i'm so sorry. i know how very painful it is having to watch this happen. i have tried, for a year now, to prepare myself for this day. when the reality is imminent, it's hard to come to terms with it even though i know it is best for simon.

Oh I am so very sorry to hear you will be letting your little boy go. My heart is breaking as I read your thread. May his journey be peaceful and may you find peace in your heart.

default_no.gif
Anytime we have to HELP our fur friends cross over it is more painful for us as humans. Good for you in knowing it is SIMONS time to cross over and know he has his fur-friends waiting there to help him on his new journey!

Charlene, it breaks my heart to read your post! Please know you and Simon are in my thoughts and prayers!

I am so sorry. But Having been in this situation......I can only say how lucky he was to have you, to love him and care for him. And lucky you are to have had him as aoyal companion. They become so close to us......I swear I love my animals more than most people.

God Bless you I will have you in my thooughts all day.

I read about this on either Corgi-L or Wheeled Corgis and just want you to know that you have my prayers as dear Simon heads to the bridge. It has been a tough year for our corgi friends. Amen to the testing thing, Charlene. If it doesn't happen soon this wonderful breed will disappear, I fear.

Hang in there and try to find peace in Simon's new found freedom. (FWIW mini horse manes make wonderful hankerchiefs.)

Nancy in Kingston and the Corgi duo

Charlene, I am so sorry about Simon! I too have a Corgi and had never heard of this disease until I met Jody at worlds and saw her dogs. I am now so paranoid and am watching Chia daily. This is a wonderful breed of dog with loyalty, the biggest hearts you have ever seen. I am so scared now.

Charlene please know my prayers are with you and Simon today as he crosses into Gary's arms. Know this wonderful Simon will be in your heart forever!

He will let his presence be known.....

Hugs

Charlene, I am so sorry to hear about Simon. I know through some of your previous posts, this has been creeping up, and I am so sorry the day has come for you to have to make that decision.
default_no.gif

I too had a dog with this problem...my Boxer Baylee, and sfmini said it perfectly when she said, "It is the hardest thing to do when their minds are still so clear and otherwise healthy". It really DOES make the decision that much harder for the person, as it feels almost like you are putting down a healthy dog because they are so normal in their mond and not otherwise unhealthy or even in pain.

Latest posts

Back