I went driving!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
I had mentioned on a previous thread that a wonderful lady has offered to teach me everything I need to know about driving! She is the current Australian Doubles Driving Champion!! Over 30 years experience driving. The kindness of strangers hey!
default_wub.png
I met her on an Australian forum and she offered to help me out.

I'm taking everything VERY slowly as Bailey is still young but I can get as much experience as I like.

I rode in one carriage with my 'friend' while her daughter drove the other pony.

Both horses are full sisters and are shetland ( the UK style chunky shetland) and hakney crosses. Much bigger than our minis!
default_new_shocked.gif

I don't have any of me in the carriage though!
default_wacko.png

We began on her property where she has a 'dressage course' set up with cones etc.

lillybuck.jpg

Then we headed off her property, which was beautiful, and headed to the roads and tracks surrounding her property. It's a 10 kilometre round trip.

lillybuck2.jpg

Here's the both of them together. They will soon be trained to drive as a pair.

lillydarcybuck.jpg

And on the home stretch. There was a stretch of wild wattle growing which actually looked far prettier than in the pics!

wattlebuck.jpg

Let me just say that today would have to go down as one of the BEST days I have had in such a long time. I could not get the smile off my face. What a wonderful place to be. I have finally found what it is that I want to do with my little horses. I knew that showing wasn't the thing for me, but this filled my heart with such joy.

I'm hooked and I told my friend that I can understand why she still loves driving after 30 years!

Way to go, Leonie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It IS so much fun!!!!!

I had seen minis and handled them lightly for a couple years. I thought they were so cute, but I wondered "what would I really do with one?" Then a friend let me drive her mini stallion and that was it -- I knew I needed a miniature horse. It turns out I enjoy driving them more than riding my big horse. Plus, one very cool thing about it is that you can share a real horse activity with friends (and husbands!) who are not really horsey enough to ride a horse, but they can ride in the cart with you. AND you can have an actual conversation which is something I never really was able to do when riding with friends.

It's awesome that you've been able to try it and see how much fun it can be. You have lots to look forward to and two horses who will be able to give you many, many miles of driving fun!!! It's also so perfect that you have hooked up with (pun possibly intended) such an outstanding mentor in this new horse pursuit!

WAY TO GO!!!

party.gif

That's so exciting Leonie! I've only driven a few times (and once it was two huge clydesdale geldings) but I love it. Sounds like you had an awesome day.
default_smile.png

I want sooo much to learn to drive. Have 2 that are trained but absolutely no place that I could drive them as my property is too hilly and the roads are too busy to go out on. Hopefully some day............

Whaa whooo!! It is a lot of fun. thanks for sharing.

I had mentioned on a previous thread that a wonderful lady has offered to teach me everything I need to know about driving! She is the current Australian Doubles Driving Champion!! Over 30 years experience driving. The kindness of strangers hey!
default_wub.png
I met her on an Australian forum and she offered to help me out.
I'm taking everything VERY slowly as Bailey is still young but I can get as much experience as I like.

I rode in one carriage with my 'friend' while her daughter drove the other pony.

Both horses are full sisters and are shetland ( the UK style chunky shetland) and hakney crosses. Much bigger than our minis!
default_new_shocked.gif

I don't have any of me in the carriage though!
default_wacko.png

We began on her property where she has a 'dressage course' set up with cones etc.

lillybuck.jpg

Then we headed off her property, which was beautiful, and headed to the roads and tracks surrounding her property. It's a 10 kilometre round trip.

lillybuck2.jpg

Here's the both of them together. They will soon be trained to drive as a pair.

lillydarcybuck.jpg

And on the home stretch. There was a stretch of wild wattle growing which actually looked far prettier than in the pics!

wattlebuck.jpg

Let me just say that today would have to go down as one of the BEST days I have had in such a long time. I could not get the smile off my face. What a wonderful place to be. I have finally found what it is that I want to do with my little horses. I knew that showing wasn't the thing for me, but this filled my heart with such joy.

I'm hooked and I told my friend that I can understand why she still loves driving after 30 years!

I caught the driving bug before I had miniatures and IMO there is nothing in this world like a drive down back roads or out through fields with my mini. The clicking of small hooves on the road, the sound of harness creaking and the soft rattle of the cart, the birds singing, sun shining down and a cool breeze make it perfect. Lucky you to have found a great mentor. It will save you a great deal of time and trouble in learning to have someone so experienced to help you. Loved the pictures too. I could almost feel the ride and hear the sounds.
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone! I had a blast and can't stop thinking about how much fun that was!

I found it remarkable at how well trained her horses are. Almost 100% of the commands to the horse are vocal. She does not tug at the reins, use the whip or even pull her horses up tight.

I could see the horse concentrating on her voice commands. She proved it all by letting the reins loose and her horse did everything she asked just by listening to her.

I don't know if that is normal, but I was very impressed.

Latest posts

Back