I was just thinking........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

running in the red

Reaction score
since my crazy lady with the stallion called- I was thinking of all of the wanted stallions and the over horse population- vets have spay and netuer clincs for cats and dogs. why not horses- joy

It surprises me how the cost of gelding varies so greatly around the country.

But, there is a HUGE percentage of mini owners who will not geld, even if it's cheap
default_sad.png

I almost don't even want to "count" how many geldings I have... Counting minis, a pony and my riding horse, I think it's 8 and one to-be. One is going to a new home this fall, though.

They are my favorite horses and the most fun to have around... but I think there's some redneck pride out there keeping some from gelding, and the illusion that money can be made because the horse is physically able to produce foals (without regard to actual quality).

It surprises me how the cost of gelding varies so greatly around the country.

But, there is a HUGE percentage of mini owners who will not geld, even if it's cheap
default_sad.png

I almost don't even want to "count" how many geldings I have... Counting minis, a pony and my riding horse, I think it's 8 and one to-be. One is going to a new home this fall, though.

They are my favorite horses and the most fun to have around... but I think there's some redneck pride out there keeping some from gelding, and the illusion that money can be made because the horse is physically able to produce foals (without regard to actual quality).
Jill I totally agree with you. I had a lady call not to long ago wanting a miniature for the family, which included young children, and the mini she wanted had to be a stallion. She wanted him to learn to pull a cart, be the kids pet, yadda yadda. I told her a gelding would be best since she has young kids but she and hubby said it has to be stallion they weren't about to buy a gelding. Whatever, I have nothing for them.

I know its been discussed here several times about putting your money were your mouth is on gelding. This year alone I've gelded 4 to date and have 1 more to go, but it'll have to wait until fall now because of the heat and wonderful flies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently gelded (100.00 per horse) 2 minis with the intention of placing them in new homes eventually. I placed a Free Mini add in the local news paper. I had over 50 calls! At least half or more wanted a breedable mare or a stallion. I explained to each and every one of them that these horses were pet quality and family pets and I had no intention of placing an animal that could be bred, much less for FREE! I Had one guy call, I told him they were geldings and he said " Oh I can't have any geldings here". I told him that is exactly why I gelded them! I have placed my boys with 2 great families on a free lease. They cannot sell the animal or give it to anyone else without written permission from me. I am retaining ownership and their papers. This worked out well since my basic goal was to have my guys in a home with kids and people that are going to take good care of my boys. With the market like it is I could have sold them for a couple hundred bucks or taken them to the local auction were I would have paid the auction to sell them with even geldings only going for a hundred or so.

I am pleased also that I could pick and choose from over 25 callers, who qualified to get my boys, they are right local and I can go see them at anytime as I have it written in my lease. The one family went out and bought a new barn and corral panels and they are so excited about getting their new horse. They have 3 little kids (3-7) and have already bought a saddle. I am delivering my boys to their new homes so that I can be sure they will be taken good care of and have good shelter and safe environment.

I'm not saying this is right for anyone else just wanted to share my recent adventure in finding homes for a couple of my horses. I feel good about this even though I lost money.

When listing the horses we would keep if we had to get rid of all but a few--the list contained one mare and 6 or 7 geldings. Love my quiet boys.
default_yes.gif

I know its been discussed here several times about putting your money were your mouth is on gelding. This year alone I've gelded 4 to date and have 1 more to go, but it'll have to wait until fall now because of the heat and wonderful flies.
I'm with you, too, Sheryl
default_yes.gif

This year, I've only gelded one, but he is a mighty fine Buckeroo grandson with siblings on both sides showing to top National honors. AND, homebred Ducky will be my new gelding this fall (would have been already but vet wants him at least 4mos old). I love everything about Ducky and THAT is why I cannot wait to have him as a show gelding
default_biggrin.png

Most of the mini stallions we see aren't nice enough to be show geldings :DOH! But they sure can put some mediocre foals on the ground, year after year...
default_no.gif

I'm with you, too, Sheryl
default_yes.gif

This year, I've only gelded one, but he is a mighty fine Buckeroo grandson with siblings on both sides showing to top National honors. AND, homebred Ducky will be my new gelding this fall (would have been already but vet wants him at least 4mos old). I love everything about Ducky and THAT is why I cannot wait to have him as a show gelding
default_biggrin.png

Most of the mini stallions we see aren't nice enough to be show geldings :DOH! But they sure can put some mediocre foals on the ground, year after year...
default_no.gif
That is soooooooo true. We ARE suppose to be working towards improving the breed. BUT everyone's opinion on what is good conformation is different. We are all allowed our own opinions so I guess each one of us will always see conformation differently.

I've always been a firm believer in that if you aren't going to breed them then geld them. They will be much happier that way.

I can't stand seeing stallions kept stallions that have no business being stallions and used for breeding... :DOH! 2 pets don't = a show horse!
default_wacko.png

I just called and got a quote for gelding a few days ago. Just the gelding is $130, plus whatever the farm call will be. I have two little boys out here that have a date this fall with the knife...........My stallion might next year. I will decide then.

Thankfully I have a bunch of stuff to do so it will be spendy yet a bit cheaper doing it all at once. NOw if I just could find a vet to do dental work on pregger mares. I have a couple that need it bad but wont do it if they are preggers. Well one is going on 5 months bred and the 3.

when fall comes I'll have 5 boys to be gelded- we are even gelding my alamos streakers son- he's been shown and done great! but, no more babies here at running in the red-horse prices are too low and vet costs are too high. And not knowing how the hay prices are going to be this season.... one of regular hay cutters has only done one cutting and no more for this year-not enough rain............anyone know a rain chant?or dance? I can afford to feeed what I have and don't want to add onto the herd size......

Latest posts

Back