I Think We're Getting A Mini!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JewelsOK

Reaction score
Hi everyone! We are in the research phase of the miniature world. We have actually found our dream mini and are in the final stages of deciding if this is something we can do time/money/space wise.

The little guy is a newly gelded (about a month ago) yearling amha/amhr and can also be registered as a Pinto. He is so beautiful (mostly sorrel with white blaze, legs and butt - his tail is half white/half red. He is 29.25"). What is so cute is when you massage his mane area, he wants to return the favor and "groom" you in return.

We have two full size horses - a solid paint mare that my daughter rides and my retired 26 year old AQHA gelding. Our biggest problem is that we board our horses as we live in town. The gelding is on pasture board with a run-in shed and the mare is boarded at a riding facility with indoor and outdoor arenas. The riding facility has given be permission to come up with my own stall in an area about 10'x10' (I'd like to make the stall either 8'x8'x or 6-8'x 10, but not the full 10x10. The mini will share a turnout pen with our mare if they get along (I'm hoping they will or I'll have to provide him his own little turnout are, too).

I need ideas for affordable "temporary" stall (meaning that if we ever leave this facility, we will break it down and take it with us) - looking at sheep/goat panels, hog wire, etc. I am open to ideas. The floor is concrete, but I will put stall mats down and bed generously - I love a nicely bedded, clean stall and am know around the barn for this!

Also, how likely is it that the mini will get along well with my daughter's mare? The mare is as sweet as can be. She is not an ear pinner or moody. Just a great disposition.

Finally, vet checking - is in necessary? We have vet checked the riding horses because they were going to be ridden, but with a mini? I know the vet that the breeder uses, all his horses look very healthy and very well cared for - clean stalls, pens, buckets, aisles, etc. The horse all have clear eyes, no nasal discharge, etc. Just a really well run facility. What do you all do.

Well, that is probably enough for now.

I look forward to getting to know you all. I will keep you posted on what we decide!

Julie

Hi Julie! Welcome to the forum. This is a REALLY great place to learn about minis. I am still considered a "newbie" here too and I have already learned a lifetimes worth of info.

I wish you luck with your new mini!!
default_aktion033.gif

First, it's always wise to get a vet check. It's very easy to let your emotions do the talking on a new horse! Second, PLEASE do not put your 29" mini in with a full size mare. One kick, regardless of intent, could kill or maim your new guy. And that would be horrible! Third, I have used cattle panel as temporary stalls and they work well.

Good luck with your new guy!

Welcome from sunny Southern California!!!
default_aktion033.gif

My horses have concrete floors in thier stalls, which are covered with rubber mats and then shavings on top of the mats. Not a problem at all!

Best wishes!

Liz R.

Putting a gelding with a mare really depends on the type of horse it is. My friend (she's actually belongs to the fourm) has a 33'' (i think) mini gelding who is turned out with a (something like 15-16hh i think) 7 year old off the track standardbred. They get along fine, some chasing here and there but nothing serious. and the mare hates other horses (big).

For temporary pannels we are building pannels out of PVC pipes. Its really easy and doesn't cost alot. We also have metal pannels are my 4H barn which we love!

For vet checking- We never got Rain checked by a vet when we first bought him (he was around 4 months when he came home w/ us). But... youll never know what they will say when you pick them up. Rain ended up colicing before we got him and she never told us. We think its from the hay though, she had hay with a high amont of protiene and her mare also ended up colicing. We havn't had a problem with him since then though.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Julie, I'm in Oklahoma, too. North Central.

Liz, glad to hear concrete/mats are fine.

txminipinto - disappointed to learn that it is bad idea to turn them out together. Until I can afford a seperate turnout area for the little guy, I'll just rotate turning them out - I should be able to get each one out for 6-8 hours.

Vet check - what do they look at on a mini? What problems are minis likely to have? With riding horses the bulk of the check seems to be centered on soundness for riding. I guess I should realize the importance as we actually bought a mare that ended up being nearly blind - we had know the horse on a daily basis for nearly a year. Nobody even suspected...

Thanks again!

Julie

The main lameness issue would be a locking stifle, but there are other medical issues as well: dwarfism, collapsing tracheas, etc. It's always in YOUR best interest to get a vet check.

Welcome to the wonderful world of miniature horses!!! You will be hooked in no time
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Welcome Welcome! There is a really good book that addresses mini horse specific vet related problems: Miniature Horses a Veterinary Guide for Owners and Breeders by Rebecca L. Frankeny, VMD. It might give you an idea as to what look for as far as minis go. (Also a good book to have on hand) I would include a current coggins test, and proof of current vacs form the owners also. But you probably already know that having biggies.

I know people that let their minis and big horses run together. Its a big risk to both since a mini can cause harm and so can the mare to your mini. And with him being recently gelded, I wouldn't try it for a while. After they get use to each other through the fence, you can halter both and lead them out together to sniff one another and go from there. Never introduce them when food is around. But good luck and you'll be the best judge as to how well they'll get along.

Cattle panels are the cheapest and easiest way to put up a portable pen. I use them all the time. They run about $16 a panel that is 16ft long. Check around your local farm stores for scratch and dent stuff.

Good luck and welcome to minis! They are addicting becuase there is so much you can do with them.
default_smile.png

Welcome from another OKIE. I agree with everyone else, big horses and mini's just not worth the risk for me. I have both and they do not pasture together. I see it done though.

Again welcome

Welcome to the forum and to minis Julie!
default_saludando.gif

We are in SW OK.
default_yes.gif

Best of luck with your new mini. I would never keep big horses and minis together. There are too many stories of minis getting killed or hurt. I know you'll figure something out!

Robin
default_biggrin.png

Welcome to the forum and to minis Julie!
default_saludando.gif

We are in SW OK.
default_yes.gif

Best of luck with your new mini. I would never keep big horses and minis together. There are too many stories of minis getting killed or hurt. I know you'll figure something out!

Robin
default_biggrin.png
Thanks, Robin. It looks like there are quite a few Okies on this board. I was poking around on your web site (beautiful horses) and on your "Family" page, the very first horse is our possible little guys grandsire (4Gs Little King...).

I will NOT turn out the mini and the mare together. I'll rotate their turnout until I get materials for his own turn out. I like boarding because it is fun to socialize with other horse lovers, but don't like that it is not "mine" and I can't do things exactly the way I would like. Thankfully the barn owners are really nice and willing to work with me.

Julie

As far as the big mare with the mini , it depends on the horses. My 15.2 hh Mare is with my 34inch mini. She takes care of her. They are great together. Accidents can happen. But it truly depends on the horses if it will work.

Have fun with your mini and def have a vet check just to be sure!

5-25-08045-2.jpg

Welcome from another OKIE. I live in the Norman area. If you are ever in the area give me a shout and stop by for a visit.

Your new boy sounds beautiful!

Check the OMHCI site for nearby events in Oklahoma. I think there is a show coming up in Stillwater soon. Lots of events for a gelding to show in. http://www.oklahomahorseonline.com/Breeds/omhc.htm

If you are having a vet look him over, I would have the vet check teeth. Miniatures can have some trouble there.

I have cattle panels and electric fencing for temporary barriers.

When he is old enough to drive, you will be in for some fun then!

Latest posts

Back