I think our dog Devin is dying

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Devin is our very bad little boy that we adopted at 3 months old from the shelter. Now he's 15+ and going down hill for the past two years. Two years ago he had a bump on his shoulder and within a week it was the size of a grapefruit. We had the surgery which showed it was a fatty tumor but his recovery went badly, slow and painful. Last fall two more tumors showed up and I said I would not put him through another surgery ever again especially at his age.

He barely gets around anymore and sleeps a lot. At night he sleeps in the bedroom trying to be as close to us as he can.

Its noon here now and he has not yet to come out of the bedroom since last night. He always comes to the barn first thing in the am with me, does his business, and likes to lay in the yard and never misses a day harrassing the mail man. But not today.

I already thought he was dead twice today. He's in a very deep sleep and doesn't want to wake up. I called Hus at work and he told me to stimulate him and wake him up and make him move around.

I keep running in there to see if he's still breathing.

Devinteeshirt-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh Marty, that is heartbreaking.

I would go sit next to him and pet him and tell him it's ok to go.

I hate hearing about stuff like this, but it's unfortunately a part of having a fur-friend.....as you know.

Marty, You are sensitive to your animals' feelings, both physical and emotional. Look into his face and his eyes. Go with your gut. He will tell you by the light that is fading from him.

Sometimes THEY know what is going on, but the heartline between the two of you can be so strong that they try to stay.

Again, listen to your "gut"....that little voice deep inside.

(It's tough.)

Oh Marty, I think I'd be in there sitting on the floor and petting him. I'm so sorry.

I would go and sit on the floor also, and hug my baby.

I hate this I am at work and trying not to cry.

Oh Marty, it has to be so hard
default_no.gif
... I'd go and sit with him. Hug him, pet him and tell him it's OK to go. Just love him like you always have. I'm sorry.

Oh Marty - I'm so sorry. I have to agree that you should love on him and tell him it's ok to go - that you, hus, Dan and Amy will be ok.

((((HUGS))))

Barbie

Im so sorry to hear this. What a fabulous life and family this boy has. And think of how it could have been for him. I would also sit with him.

I just hate it when these things happen. The day my tiny male Yorkie died, I had gotten up for work. I went to put him outside to do his business and he could hardly stand up. He was fine and feisty the night before. I called work and told them I was not coming to work because my dog was dying. I was there for his first breath and I was going to be there for his last. I sat with him all day. Holding and petting him. Finally around 9:00pm I told him it was OK he could go. I would be fine. He was my protector and would get anyone that even touched me and that included my ex. About 30 minutes later he passed. Maybe if you tell your boy it is OK if he goes it will set his mind at ease.

I didn't get into work because I'm afraid to leave him. But I don't think he's dying anymore! I think he's just like a little old man wanting to nap more and more these days.

He got up and relocated to his pillow in living room when he smelled me cooking in the kitchen. He hasn't been out yet today or eaten or had a drink yet. He was awake for about 15 minutes wagging his tail at me and barking, then back to sleep. He occasionally opens his eyes and makes his grunt noise to me and passes back out again. Honestly, I think he is enjoying Amy being outside and not jumping all over him and he's taking advantage of some peace. No, I don't think today's the day now. Gosh Devin, wish you wouldn't scare me like this! False alarm I'm pretty sure.

I'm smiling with a recent memory of our old "Splinter".......She's our calico kitty who passed a couple of months ago...... She kept us on our toes for months with her acting as if she was failing and then rebounding. You'd think she was teasing us! But in the end there was no question and she chose to go in her sleep.

Marty, my friends Jack Russell had several of those large tumors - he was also an old man, lived to be 15 or 16 with them and did much the same. He slept most of the time, got up now and then looking alert but only for a few minutes. His time finally came recently but he was quite content for the last few years of his life despite his condition. Devin probably enjoys his beauty sleep more and more as well.
default_smile.png

Jan

So glad to hear your dog is ok Marty. I had a min pin that used to have sleeping spells like that. She gave me a few grey hairs in her final years. She lived to be 18 years old.

A supplement I have been using for my old dogs I thought I would share in case you were interested...

http://www.tscpets.com/bonejoint.html (I don't buy it from this place, this is just for info)

It is called Phycox soft chews. For my little dogs I use the small bites. Really got them moving around well.

best wishes, glad you have some good news.

default_saludando.gif

These fur kids can send us into such panic attacks. I've noticed Bubba doesn't get up as early as he used to. But when he does get up he is still quite bouncy and happy. Still makes sure everyone is well and safe. And to this day yells at the horses when they start playing a little too wildly. That is not allowed! Now he really likes to lay in his favorite spot and watch the goats play and be silly. apparently allowed to do what they want.

It will be so hard for you when that day comes but we will all be here for you. I do have wide foot ball player shoulders by the way.

Marie

Latest posts

Back