I think my horse is better than I am...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
We don't have the money for a trainer, and I enjoy doing the training myself, but I see moments when Mingus is absolutely stunning and I feel as if I am holding him back...that my training skills are not up to what he needs.

One of the big touchstones in my life is seeing others live up to their potential (as in, "The saddest words are what might have been..."). I want to see him live up to his potential.

I'd love to schedule a "private lesson" sometime with more experienced trainers/exhibitors...I've told Liz that I want to haul Mingus down to Astoria so that she can help us both. I've attended and will attend clinics in the area...

I guess I'm just babbling on this morning...does anyone else feel this way? Any remedies other than time and continued experience?

[SIZE=14pt]I feel that way too..... Just keep going....the more you go each time you will be more secure and do better and let Mingus shine.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I look at it this way, when they do good, its in spite of me!!! So then you know they are good!

No, Susanne, absolutely NOT
smile.gif
Before I got the hang of showing, my Arabs were happy. After I got the hang of showing, my Arabs were happy. Less embarrassed, perhaps, but still, no more, no less happy. Mingus could not give two HOOTS whether he gets a stupid ribbon or not, he only cares that he is warm, dry and LOVED!!! Go to one of the top show barns and ask if the horses would rather be loved or shown- guess what they would answer- you don't even need Bonnie for this one. And that is a GOOD show barn, at that. Now go to one that is not so nice- which do you think the horses would choose- to come home with you and never be shown again, or stay?? How big is your trailer- how big is your FARM???? I've always loved showing, but I would never employ a trainer even if there were on capable of doing better than me (here) or I could afford it, I love showing, me, I love it all, and if my horses cannot win with me at their heads, well, then they won't win. Keep at it- you'll get there,and imagine the pride you will feel then. Of course, you have a head start, you have a lovely horse!!!

Susanne,

As Rabbit pointed out, Mingus probably doesn't care..... He doesn't know any different!

It's YOU that does. Before you jump in and start pushing Mingus in his showing, ask yourself if he truly LOVES to show. Will the "hardcore" training make him any happier?

Is Mingus like Liz's "Mouse"??? Mouse LIVES to show. He thrives on the attention he gets when he's getting primped and focussed on by both Liz and a bunch of strangers in the show arena. Does Mingus?

MA

Yes, I can honestly say that he enjoys showing and soaks up the attention -- he loves to stretch and preen, and he loves being admired and really does come alive in the ring (a bit too much at the Evergreen show, LOL!). Other than his aversion to baths, he enjoys the grooming and pampering.

Before we ever showed, I said that if he wasn't having a good time, we wouldn't do it again, and if I feel at any time he is not having fun, we'll stop.

I guess my primary question here is how to make certain that I do all I can to make the most of him. How do I bring out his best on a consistent basis? I think we're doing pretty well for two raw beginners...perhaps I'm just being impatient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Susanne--

I feel exactly the same way you do about both of my boys.
wub.gif

As most of you know, Chip is my dream horse. He is everything I want in a stallion, hence the reason he's still "intact". I feel like he could do wonders in the show ring, but with my experience level I don't feel like I'm doing him justice.

I know Tango isn't Halter Quality per se, but he is one of the prettiest 28 inchers I have ever seen. Again I feel like I'm not doing him justice when it comes to showing.

I guess because of the situation I'm in and not having any other horses for them to be around, makes it harder for them to adjust to show life. Tango does awesome at home, standing, setting up, but in a new enviorment he's so ansy and prancy. Chip is a aweet heart, but he is a stallion with stallion behavior. I just don't think I have the knowledge to train and teach them what they need to know to go as far in the show ring as I know their capable. I often find myself wishing I had someone who has tons of experience with stallions (gelding and mares too) and showing, to help me help them.

Erin

I also worry about doing as well by my horses at the shows as I can. I mean... my new show horses have been shown by Erica Killion, so try following that act! I worry about what if Sunny bombs with me after doing so extremely well for Erica and ditto for Destiny and I am optimistic that DunIT will also show well for Erica. It's like, if they don't do well for me, gee... what could be the cause? ME.

On the other hand, the horses do not know if they got first or if they got, say, 11th (and I have an 11th place ribbon...). If they like to show, then they enjoy the sights and sounds of the show grounds, being admired, seeing other horses, etc. They don't come home and relive the classes and wish they'd have done something differently!

Can you get any videos of people you admire showing? Erica was nice enough to make me some videos and I watch them and I do think I've learned some from them already. Also, if you can get some private lessons, I would bet that would be a huge help to you because it will boost your confidence about what to do in the ring, and be fun to practice with Mingus.

I've also done things like if I've got company and they've got time, I will play showmanship or halter if I've got a horse I'm teaching to stand still. Stuff like that. I seriously doubt I will ever be a show ring superstar, but it's fun to practice and improve. But, at the end of the day, your horse will be just as fascinated by a green ribbon as a blue ribbon!

yes.gif

l disagree l'm pretty sure a horse knows when he's done well in the ring and you get a first and also knows when you didn't. They can feel you on the other end of the lead and l swear they know a first from a third by your reactions.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Okay......so Mingus does love the showing......now, for another question --

Do YOU love showing?

If you also love to show, then it seems obvious (to me, anyway) that you both should seek out a trainer that you respect to get some coaching from. Winter time is probably the best time as trainers aren't so busy and often open their barns for teaching situations just like your's.

Liz is also a good person to go visit. She certainly knows what she's doing with Mouse!

(She also won't charge you since she won't want to lose her amateur status, right?
wink.gif
)

MA

Oh, susanne, you are not holding Mingus back!

No matter WHAT the horse knows, the success is in teamwork, and you and Mingus have a connection, I can see that in the two shows I've witnessed you together in. (ugh, my grammar!)

What you need to do is to find out how to focus his energy and excitement, and to get him to understand that you need him to focus on you, also. He will learn with time as will you. Therein lies the success.

I don't think a trainer is the answer, here. I did send Mouse to a trainer and it was more bad than good for him and his training. Mingus needs YOU and it will not happen overnight.

What I think needs to happen w/Mingus is he needs to understand an unconditional "whoa". That may go out the window at any given time as the best show horses are prone to cases of nerves or what have you. If he knows "whoa" and then learns to set his feet square, then you can work on getting his attention and show him off. He will then learn what you are doing and you will be working together! This is the best part of showing, that your horse is asking you for the cues and reading them.

I was so pleased with Mouse's performance in the Supreme Halter Horse class. We had NO CHANCE of winning in there, but we were required to be there, and so I worked on just enjoying looking at the other horses and showing Mouse when the judges came past. He was perfect. He did not move a hoof w/out my direction, and I heard from other people in the stands how impressed they were w/that. When I asked him, he looked up at my hand, pricked his ears and his eyes shone w/interest and he stretched his neck for me nicely, too. I felt very happy w/that moment in time.

You WILL get it and it may come at the next show, or it may take a half dozen or moe. I am guessing it will be sooner rather than later, but you need to first relax and start learning from his reactions to your actions in the ring.
smile.gif
Things are not the same at home as they are at the show, and he needs to learn that some things ARE, indeed, the same (such as his need to follow your rules, etc.)

Liz

Well,, Most everyone has said what I would of......

Mingus trusts you and I think he would do better for you than anyone else!

Susanne, if you go to Liz's place, you are always welcome to visit here on your way to or from her place.
wink.gif

Ella used to go to schools and Nursing homes,, she loves people and attention. As you could tell when you where here.

Do you think Mingus would like that too? That is little more low key, Mingus will be ,, ohh and awed over,, and will be the center of attention.

Susanne,

Great questions.
smile.gif
)

I have been through the exact same thing this year.

Little John was shown very sucessfully by Arion last

year. They wanted him back this year, but I wanted to try showing.

Boy,,, has this been a looonnggg summer hehe

I have learned a LOT and I'm so proud of myself

for sticking with it , even when I CHOKED so bad

that I didn't want to go back in.....
rolleyes.gif

We pinned all over the place- the gate to Grand Championships back

to the gate LOL

2 things I have found are important:

FOCUS on your horse & try to have fun
biggrin.gif

Would he have done better with a professional? yea, I'm sure,

but I think it is a lot more fun to learn with a nice horse,

that you know has the potential to win, if I can get my act together!!!

Go for it!!

Sandy

wpsellwood said:
I look at it this way, when they do good, its in spite of me!!!  So then you know they are good!
452957[/snapback]

that is how I feel as well.

Although there are horses that know what they want to do in the ring and love it and I think do get a bit annoyed with there handler if they feel they are holding them back those are true show horses IMO and they do exisit

Susanne, I'm glad you started this thread. I know absolutely nothing about showing. I have never shown. I live about three and a half hours from the closest show. I have no time to show. I can't afford a trainer. So now I have this absolutely gorgeous filly that is the daughter of a national Grand Champion and I'm wondering if I'm doing right to keep her where she will be a pet and future broodmare or if I should allow her to go somewhere where she can reach her potential.

Call me barn blind if you want, but I KNOW she is the best I have got and some of the others are not too shabby. Sometimes I think that if I let her go that I have lost the best I have got and other times I think that if I keep her no one else will ever know how good she is.
sad.gif
She carries herself like a princess but who is ever going to see her in my pasture a hundred and fifty miles from anywhere?

I know I didn't help you any, but I share some of your feelings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Susanne please don't sell yourself short. Where would Mingus be without you? You are the one who saw and developed his potential to what it is today. Both of you are learning with each other and I'm sure are on the road to becoming a stellar team and the neat thing is that your're making that journey together. Dont' worry about holding him back because you two are awsome together and that's what makes each of you very special. I think you both will reach that potential together, not apart.

Songcatcher!

Three and a half hours to a show is NOT too far away! The drive is all in the mind. Last weekend I drove 4 hours each way to a show just to give my daughter some experience showing a weanling. Winning was not even considered.....

Do it! Just for the experience.....

MA

Although there are horses that know what they want to do in the ring and love it and I think do get a bit annoyed with there handler if they feel they are holding them back those are true show horses IMO and they do exist
HA HA........I agree with you Lisa and I've got a couple of those at home but with Bonnie's help I've worked it out with them and they understand our family and their new role with us better and have become MUCH more patient.
rolleyes.gif

Having said that.......I choose not to send our horses off to trainers because I (and the rest of my family) are getting a whole lot more out of the whole horse ownership/showing experience by doing the work ourselves and it is a lot more rewarding when you do actually win at a show because it was a team and family effort. We sent a horse off to a trainer last year and she took wonderful care of him and he never looked better nor did better in the show ring than when she was handling him and we were very happy with her BUT we had nothing to do with how good he looked and performed and it almost felt like we didn't own him for a while.

I do feel we NEED training and guidance but we've worked out the best of both worlds. This year we have been trailering an hour and a half EACH WAY to work with and take lessons from our favorite trainer (Renee Bush of Claybury Miniatures) and the time spent with her has been well worth it. We've learned so much and had a lot of fun with her along the way. We go home then and work on what we covered in our lessons at her barn and at shows when I am driving, I swear I hear her voice in my head coaching me along. I have a lot to learn and life would be a whole lot easier for us and we would win more if we kept the horses with a trainer but that is just not the way we prefer to do it and it doesn't have anything to do with the expense of a trainer.

I do have a horse or two I want to send away to "school" to be trained to drive but I want them to come back home as soon as they are safe for me to drive so that I can do the finishing work and just take lessons with them.

I really appreciate everyone's comments and support! Thank you so much.

Sanny, I think I need to do exactly what you've done. It's not that I want to send him off to a trainer -- I wouldn't be happy having my horse trained for me by someone else...I just want to be able to train him as I feel he deserves, and it seems a "coach" for both of us would be the answer.

Besides, I think Keith would divorce me if I let Mingus out of our sight!

Latest posts

Back