I saw an eagle today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayuse

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
My hubby, mom and I went out to breakfast this morning and on our way home we spotted an eagle. It was about a quarter of a mile from our house and we watched it fly almost over our property. It was quite low and we were able to get a good look. It was my first ever confirmed eagle spotting. Last summer I "thought" I saw two flying over our paddock in a large circle, but they were just distant enough that I could not be sure. Hopefully, they will nest and build a family this Spring.
Eagles are not common around here. Anyone have eagles in their area?
I was surprised at the size of the bird, for some reason I was expecting something larger! Maybe turkey or vulture sized.
I wish I had been able to get a picture. Maybe someday.

I remember back in the early 70s when bald eagles were doing so badly because of the pesticide DDT. They have made a comeback in the Finger Lakes Region of NY. It's so nice to see.

We also get golden eagles here.

We have lots of bald eagles around here. They are fun to watch and not nearly as hard on my chickens as the hawks. I have netting over the poultry now so they are safe and I can enjoy watching the raptors overhead or perched high up in a big fir tree near my house. I love watching them in the spring when they start nesting. Their aerial acrobatic displays are breathtaking. Especially when they do a free fall towards the ground, wings tucked in until the last moment when they spread them and flap hard to soar high again. The hawks and crows fight aerial battles too, its more entertaining than TV that's for sure.

That's neat. I would love to see an eagle. I love seeing wild animals and an eagle is seen so rarely.

Well, I was outside quite a bit this weekend and went for several walks!where we spotted the!eagle, but I did not see him again. I will keep looking, though.

We have a healthy number of bald eagles in our area. The near by lakes no doubt are a good source of food for them. One Spring when the ice on the lakes was nearly gone, we say a group of about 15 on an ice ledge 'fishing' and having a whale of a good time. ;)

They are a gorgeous bird. Definitely keep your eyes peeled! If you saw him once there is a good chance he/she is around somewhere close.

It is possible that the one you saw was just a 'transient' but I'd keep looking. Sometimes you see one then nothing for long enough that you start to believe there are none in the area only to spot another unexpectedly. Sadly the best place in this area to see them is our land fill. There are a large number of them that stay there all the time, along with crows, ravens and gulls (or terns..not sure which since I've been told the true gulls stay nearer the ocean which is 500+ miles away.) The ones around our farm are 'wild' birds, they actually hunt for most of their meals altho they are not above scavenging on someone else's kill.

They really are an amazing bird to watch . We get wedge tails here and and often spot them hovering around circling pray. I was in the back paddock once and I thought one was heading for "me ". It flew over me picking up a field mouse on the way. The must have amazing sight , to be able to spot pray from that distance.

Ryan, I was bombarded by a turkey vulture about a month or so ago. It sure is something when all of a sudden something swoops down from the sky at you :eek:. A couple of week later I was outside with the horses and I heard them scatter real quick and Peanut let off this unearthly scream/squeal and I turned to see what was up and caught the same vulture going after the ponies! I believe the vulture had been keeping an eye on my bird feeders. I stopped feeding the birds and have not seen it since. That bird was scarily aggressive. And big.​

Glad the ponies were ok, Have you had troubles with them before ? ( I just had to ask google what a turkey vulture was) Glad you havent seen it since. :)

No, never had trouble with them at all. Every once in awhile we would see one flying in the distance or circling the neighbors field, but that wasn't very often, maybe 3/4 times a year. Then this one showed up.

I really hope it is gone for good.​

Thats pretty scary Cayuse. The only bird that's ever dive bombed me was a momma robin when I go to close to her nest (not my fault she nested under the eves by my door) and that was bad enough. I can only imagine what it would be like if it was something much bigger!:eek:

It's back and it brought a friend. No, not the eagle. The VULTURE :mad:.
There were two today. One roosting in a tree at the fence line and another sitting on the fence. The horses were acting all spooky in their stalls this morning and when Dan and I went to see what had caught their eye, we were met with those two darn birds.
The horses are not happy. Peanut is afraid of them. And I'm afraid that they are a pair and will propagate.
:(

Ryan, I was bombarded by a turkey vulture about a month or so ago. It sure is something when all of a sudden something swoops down from the sky at you :eek:. A couple of week later I was outside with the horses and I heard them scatter real quick and Peanut let off this unearthly scream/squeal and I turned to see what was up and caught the same vulture going after the ponies! I believe the vulture had been keeping an eye on my bird feeders. I stopped feeding the birds and have not seen it since. That bird was scarily aggressive. And big.​

Wow, that would be scary if they are stalking mini horses. I'm glad taking away the bird feeder helped get rid of them. Hope they stay away.

Oh my, it does seem likely that its a pair planning to nest in your vicinity. Can you call your extension agent about ways to discourage them from staying? If you explain the issue maybe they our your conservation service can give you some guidance. I would be very unhappy to have anything around that wanted to fly at my horses (or chickens, dog, calves for that matter)

Latest posts

Back