I really need your help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
I am trying to do all my own work this year in conditioning, grooming, etc. My first show is in one week! Now, I clipped my black (with some roaning) horse's head and neck several weeks ago. A few days ago I clipped the rest of her. Oh no! Where I clipped the head and neck is now a different color than the rest of her! It looks brownish. I don't know if it is dirt stain or sunbleach? I am thinking sun? Will this grow out enough to be clipped next week and blend together? I am now keeping a hoodie and blankets on her or out of the sun.

Also, I am not sure what day next week to do the final clip- what do you suggest? I want the hair to grow out nicely in time for the Saturday debut in the show ring!

Peggy

Hi Peggy.

I don't have an answer for you..........however I have to bathe and shave Nick for next weekend too...........and its only going to be in the 6o's this weekend...............burr........down to 38 on Sunday night.

Hope you also have a blanket for your show horse........they are going to need it this weekend.

If your show is only in a week , I dont think I would even clip again. Except touching up her head, but not total shaving. Then it will be kindof like a velvet texture. I would try washing the horse , then put show sheen on while it dries. After it drys spray again with a sheen and see if it isnt all blended looking. Unless you clipped her a couple of weeks or more apart , I bet it would look blended. Worth a try. Black horses tend to look a little better with some hair growth. ( a velvet look ) its makes them look black , not brown.

Just my opinion though.

Linda Killion

Hi Peggy, I would re clip her head and neck to blend in with her body. May be use a longer blade? If it's beauty you are talking about ,her being black you do want her to look the same. Good luck, cannot wait to see her again. She is indeed a beauty!! Cathy.
default_saludando.gif

I dont know what to tell ya! Thursday I clipped my geldings head/neck. Im clipping his body Sunday, wich is a week before our show...

Mabe go over her neck again w/ a ten? :DOH!

Yes, places that you've previously clipped with be a different color. That's how the horses get darker and darker through the show season- the more you clip them, the darker they get! Her head and neck are on the second clip while her body's only on the first. It'll get better by the next clip I'd think and her body will darken before the show so it will be less obvious by then.

I've always been surprised when my trace clips don't leave an outline after I strip off the rest of the fur. Maybe it's because I wait months for the weather to improve between the partial clip and full clip?
default_wacko.png

Leia

Thank you for the replies-

Hopefully, she will look better for the June show! lol I am learning!

And, Cathy, yes, it is Beauty
default_smile.png

Thanks-Peggy

I ditto re-clipping her head and neck for a longer cut.

One of things we've learned is that at the beginning of the show season, it's good to clip them at least twice before their first show. You'll discover that with each clip, they'll look better and better......at least until their winter coat starts growing again in the Fall. :DOH!

default_saludando.gif
Hi!

I would go over the head/neck with a blade that would be closests to what the rest of your mare's clipped body is to match....... I don't think it will be that detramental if it doesn't perfectly match..... It's early in the show season, allot of people are not ready.

I was going to go to the show next weekend at Witchita BUt...... I have a mare that's going to make me loose my mind!!!!!!!!! I swear I can never get the timeing right for these May shows!! arh! SO I'm going to try the SD show on the 18th........

I hate the idea clipping when it's ONLY in the 40's (high) here!!!!!!! I sure HOPE it warms up in the next couple of weeks!!!!!!!! BUHR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck with your show!!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back