I really need help with this filly...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I AM GOING TO WHOLEHEARTEDLY DISAGREE WITH THE STATEMENTS THAT LACK OF CONDITIONING OR FLESHTONE DO NOT AFFECT LEG ANGLES.

A horse in a malnourished state can have horrible angulation of the legs. The same horse in the proper physical condition can be straight as an arrow.

My RESERVE NATIONAL CHAMPION gelding, Sport, is living proof.

The week Sport arrived to my farm:

awful3.jpg

awful5.jpg

After months of TLC and conditioning by BELINDA BAGBY:

RESnatCHsmaller.jpg

9-17-03bestTulsa2.jpg

Lauralee...
new_shocked.gif
WOW... what an amazing recovery and difference. Proof positive that malnutrition (from whatever reason) can have extreme effects on what a horse 'looks' like.

Holy Cow What a change in your gelding Lauralee! You did a fantastic job of bring him around.

I absolutely agree with Lauralee. I am not saying that you have neglected her in any way, Lisa, but I am saying that it appears she is lacking in correct hoof care as well as nutrition.

I wasn't going to post on this thread because I don't like to see ones like this anyway. Last year there was one on here that just infuriated me. It was by someone talking abt a yearling that could be a dwarf and abt other horses the owner had purchased from a breeder that were poor pet quality. A couple of forum members had even seen pics this owner sent them of a couple other mares they'd bought from the breeder. Those forum members told this owner she'd been ripped by paying for show quality horses that were pet quality. What this owner didn't do was show them the pics of these horses BEFORE they'd been at her place for over a year. Three of the mares had been shown, won championships with one going and two qualifying for Nationals. One of the mares had two different offers to purchase her when she was seen on a transport truck!

One year I had a yearling that came out of winter looking much like this filly. I was shocked and immediately changed her feeding program as well as where she ate. Soon she was again the gorgeous filly I had known her to be.

Very tacky indeed for some to jump on this thread saying the mare was pet quality without doing their home work. Photos do not tell the whole story..... This breeder is much like the breeder I mentioned in my paragraph above, producing excellent show quality horses on a consistent regular basis. Sometimes opinions should be kept to yourselves but this was one time I felt compelled to share mine.

Debi

wow lauralee what a great example of what proper nutrtion and care can do!!!

I would never call this filly pet quality in the condition she is in!! And i agree debi i would never attempt to critique any horse that is not in proper weight.

Lisa

I feel for you because i know you are doing everything you know to do for her and i know how frustrated you are. But please get her scoped and tested for strangles. I do think this is what is hindering her and making her unthrifty. Even if her strangles is now gone this could still be why shes taking so long to make a comeback. If she has brat strangles she needs to be on meds to clear it up completely.

[SIZE=14pt]Debi Im sorry it was offensive to call this filly pet quality but for those of us who dont know her , or her history, we can only go by the pics we are presented with. In those pics I see a malnourished pet for whatever reason and I based my coments on the pics alone.[/SIZE]

Sorry to any friends, breeder and anyone otherwise connected to this filly.

We can only go by what we are presented with.

Lyn

littlesteppers said:
Lisa..meet Sweetie..we got her as a yearling..she came here sick and skinny..she looked a lot like your girl. Here is a picture in her stall..can you see the backbone sticking out?
a649c6ab.jpg

We put her on Tribrissen for 4 days with Probios and we made shure she eats in her own stall. She was on the buttom of the feeding pole
sad.gif
and she never would try to get feed. we doubled her ration, had her on alfalfa hay and redcell. When she felt better we started to work with her..this girl LOVED jumping. I think she would have jumped the moon
smile.gif

Here she is after she been with us for 2 month
smile.gif

asweety.jpg

Oh ..have you tried the Panacur double worming thingy??

454202[/snapback]

I also think you should do this & i also agree with Lauralee
yes.gif
good luck

But Lyn, that's the point. Sometimes responses should not be made on just what is presented without a complete history.

Lisa, again I am not saying you don't take care of your horses. What I am saying is this horse needs something different than what she's getting.

I did forget to mention the microchips. Every horse in my herd has one. It is a law in Louisiana that all horses must be tattoed or microchipped. The chip is more expense but I'm sure most breeders are like me and chose that over being tattoed. I've never had a horse have any kind of problem from their chip.

I know of one horse that was just torn apart here by the "experts" critiques. That horse was originally purchased for over 4 grand. She excelled in the circuit in CA and qualified for Nationals in her first show. Her owner decided to get out of Minis so resold her for 5000. She was again bought off of a transport truck for more than that in route to her new home. AFter being there for a fall, winter and then early spring the change in her was unbelievable!! I saw pics and she did look like crap........BUT I had already seen several pictures of this horse as a weanling and during her show career.

Lisa, I remember telling you last year that it would be a cold day in H*** before I posted any horse for critique on a forum. I don't like these threads and never will.

Debi

My reply was based on the fact she does not have strangles... but I agree with the others that you should have her tested again, with the good vet that helped your colt.

Lisa

If you need a good equine dentist near by, I know Dr Self in Wyandotte OK is excellent. He used to be the vet at NFC farms when they were still going. He is up there in years and is semi retired, but he does take an occassional patient.

[SIZE=14pt]If we are not supposed to coment on WHAT WE SEE presented then people should NOT present a pic and then ask what we think about it. The messengers should not be shot because we answered a question "What do you see". Thats all im saying. Dont put your horses out here and then get upset when we say what APPEARS to be in front of us.[/SIZE]

Lyn

mizbeth said:
HI

If you are having trouble putting weight on this girl and you have done everything else that has been suggested here so far, try treating her for ulcers.
I agree with mizbeth, I would treat her for ulcers, with the drugs your vet suggests, but also with plain yogurt for a couple weeks, this really made a difference in a colt I got last year, he looks like a completely different horse now! I'd also keep Equine Jr or Sr in front of this girl at all times, both of these feeds I have found do wonders for the mini's!

Dont put your horses out here and then get upset when we say what APPEARS to be in front of us.Lyn
I don't hear Lisa getting upset, Lyn, so that's not what anyone is saying.

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]but for those of us who dont know her , or her history, we can only go by the pics we are presented with. [/SIZE]We can only go by what we are presented with.

Lyn

454359[/snapback]

I agree. We can only go by what is presented. We are not asked to get a full history but to give our opinion on what is presented.

I agree also that the filly will look better with weight and conditioning but at this place and time with that photo I still go by my same basic comment.

Tammie

I had a very long talk with my vet about this filly as I have always adored her. I sent Lisa a detailed email about what my vet thinks should be done.

1. First of , she should get on agressive ulcer therapy. Carafate, rantidine, Gastrogard and powdered Ugard. for a minimum of 6 weeks. The U Gard maybe forever. This filly was so sick as a weanling she may have developed and may still have an ulcer.

2. Probios. Filly was on a lot of antibiotics and her normal gut flora may have been ruined. Probios may help.

3. Ultrasound the area around the microchip if it is still in. If there is a pocket of fluid around it, she may be reacting to the chip somehow. Then if so remove it.

4. A good senior pelleted diet, easy to digest.

5 Of course, vitamins, additives etc.

This filly was I believe in good shape from what Lisa said when she arrived. Horses do get sick for many reasons. Good nutrition and proper amount of protein is essential in an weanling, even more important in a sick one. But sick babies don't always eat what is put in front of them, or sometimes you can feed them a perfect diet, and if they are sick, it doesn't get metabolized and the body can starve even though it is being fed well. Her legs looked to be straight as a weanling, poor nutrition/sickness can really screw up a filly.

This is a well bred filly that looks REALLY bad now, its sad. Her bad legs are really probably due to poor nutition, and that of course is not Lisa's fault. Genetically, she is not pet quality but her looks and her body is a result of a terrible insult that her body sustained as a weanling, and now she is only pet quality in her looks.

I would love to have her and work with her.

I am sorry but going to be blunt. This horse needs individual care. I would keep her by herself so that she isn't getting picked on or by any means.

Omelane 200 is a great grain! However it doesn't sound like it's working for her. Contact a different vet. Your new one that treated your colt. He might beable to help you.

Get a different farrier! If your farrier hasn't been able to fix your horse as a weanling he won't be able too now thats for sure! Pay extra if you have to if you care for the well being of this horse.

Do dental work if you haven't already or get a different one. I had weanlings who need dental work when they usually don't. This is the age that she will need it!

Also if you feed her with the others watch how they eat. If they pick on her MOVE HER!

I'm sorry that this sounds mean, and I'm sure you feel like you tried everything but I would start competely over with new people!

DebiM said:
But Lyn, that's the point.  Sometimes responses should not be made on just what is presented without a complete history. 

454371[/snapback]

That's so true--yes, a question was asked---is this filly a minimal dwarf---my only answer would be "no, I don't believe so". From those pictures, with the horse in that condition, I would never presume to pass judgment on whether the horse is pet quality or otherwise, nor would I critique the horse.

This filly does look awful in these photos. That doesn't mean I'm saying she is a poor quality horse. I'm just saying that there is something wrong somewhere. Either there is some undiagnosed problem with this filly--something that is keeping her from thriving, or it's simply a case of her feed isn't working for her. Her diet may work just fine for 1000 other horses, but not for this one.

I would try some different deworming program; I would feed her some sort of fat supplement; if she is on grass hay I would switch her to 2nd cut alfalfa. With alfalfa hay I've never had to resort to any specialized grain/prepared feed--plain oats has always worked for us so I cannot say which pelleted feed to try.

Her legs....yes, what's wrong with her legs could very well be because of her poor overall condition. At her age it's too late for corrective trimming, at least it probably is. If she has some delayed development/immaturity going on here, I can't say that 100% for sure. However, if the farrier has been trimming her regularly and doing a decent job of it, it's very possible that if & when she puts on some weight & fills out in the hips & chest....her legs will come straight. I've bought a few very thin horses--our first two Minis, and more than one Morgan--and the one Mini especially had leg issues. He was 3 1/2 at the time, & I honestly didn't believe he'd ever straighten up. He did--it took him 1 - 1 1/2 years to really fill out in the chest, but by the time he was 4 1/2 or 5 he looked great--no more of having both front legs come out of the same hole, just nice & straight all the way around. He's as correct as any now.

I'm not meaning this next part as any criticism of you Lisa--I'm simply replying to those who see it necessary to give a critique no matter what, just because it's asked for... I know one or two people locally (Morgan people) that I've always said could buy the World Champion stallion or mare, bring the horse home, keep it a year, and no one would recognize it--it would look thin, homely, bony, crooked legged & sad, just like every other horse these people have in their pastures. So, sometimes, it would just be better when a critique is asked for, to be honest & say that the photo is too poor, or the horse is in too poor of a condition, and a fair critique is not possible. There is a big difference between a critique and a FAIR critique IMO.

I do not know anything other then what I've see non this fourm about this horse. This is not the frist time ?s have been asked about her...

I do not know the breeder or her bloodlines anything other then like Lyn said what I see here.

I would have her checked by a very good vet. Only a vet can tell her if this horse has real health issues. And what is right to do for her.. we sure can't from a few photos on the fourm.

What I have to say next will not make me well likes but here goes....

I must say that just because a horse is well bred and looked good as a weanling does not mean it will not grow up to be a less then prefect horse or even a dwarf.
no.gif

Many of you know about Rosie she is very will bred. The best paperwork I have on the place... I'm in love with her papers. She should be my dream broodmare! I put her up for sale and had many people wanting her,,,, until I tell them she has a very BAD mouth. Her bottom teeth they are so crooked I can not see how she can even eat right.

Now why did I buy a horse with a bite like that.

Well I did not I got her in March and now it's so bad I would not even think of buying her. It was perfect in March. She is a minamal dawrf!! I said it out loud.
new_shocked.gif
If I went by her papers and out side lookd I would never even think it, but being she had a dwarf colt this spring and her bite ... I can say I'm sure she is..
sad.gif

Maybe this horse is too?? I'm not the person who asked the owner did. She knows the horse and it is something that has crossed her mind.

Rosie was shown as a yearling and 2 year old and placed well. I have even had people who knew her before I got her ask me how she is and say how pretty she is. She is a real sweet heart, but in no way chould or should be shown now...

My point is horses change.... I myself think this horse is like Rosie..she changed.

I do not think even f she had more wieght on her it would change the basic horse.

She is a pet only.... there more then just a weight problem going on here. It is conformation issues..

Latest posts

Back