I really hate asking for help....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I really seriously hate asking anyone for money. I know how hard money is to come by, and I know with gas prices up and food prices going up that it's really hard to get by right now... but many of you read about the recent rescue of 7 very emaciated horses that my husband and I took on.

We've never done rescue before, but these horses needed us. It just felt like the right thing to do. I had to borrow the money from my dad to get the horses away from this guy... I'll pay him back later on.

But now... I must lower my pride and downright ask for help.... I really honestly HATE asking for help. But with us having our 5 kids, they get out of school this week, that triples our grocery bill at home. I have been calling around to some of my horsey friends and talking to them, plus reading articles on the internet about bringing horses back from such a terrible situation.. and I am just now realizing the true cost that it will require for us to help these horses.

If it were for myself, well... if it was even for my family, I would just bite the bullet and muddle through it ... but this is for the horses, and they truely do need hoof care, deworming, vet care, one has a very large hernia on her tummy that needs attention.

There were 3 wonderful LB Forum members who jumped right up and sent donations to my paypal account...and I THANK YOU tremendously....you are a God send..... but I am going to need a bit more help. I really want to get the vet out and have them help me through the feeding/hoof care/and deworming schedules. I currently have 120. in my paypal account... that will go a long way in getting the alfalfa and grain.... but hoof care will be 25. per horse (there is 7 horses total), and deworming will have to be done very carefully so as not to kill too many worms at once and I would just feel much more comfortable in having the vet work that out since they know more about that than I do.

So please, I really hope you don't think less of me for asking for help... and I know now-a-days it's hard to trust people... but I have to push myself to ask for help even though I wish I could do it all on my own.

Please, any dollar amount will help tremendously... even a dollar... it all adds up. I have a paypal account under [email protected] .... please, help me help these poor horses.
default_please.gif

well I really do not like paypal right now!!!!

I cannot create an account as it says I have used paypal befor, yes like years ago!!!! I do not have the same card to log into that account!

When my husband gets home we can make a small donation. I Think what you have done for these horses is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

well I really do not like paypal right now!!!!

I cannot create an account as it says I have used paypal befor, yes like years ago!!!! I do not have the same card to log into that account!

When my husband gets home we can make a small donation. I Think what you have done for these horses is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

THANK YOU soooooo much. I appreciate any and all help....whether it's money donations, halters, leads, feed coupons, advice... (( I sure could use a lot of that..) and later, some help re-homing the horses once they are in good condition again.

God bless every one of ya'll that has responded... I appreciate everything you've done.

My first thought when you said you had to borrow money to buy these horses was, how is she going to take care of them if she doesn't have the $50. per horse to buy them? I think your heart was in the right place but I think you should have taken a different route and contacted authorities first. You are talking thousands of dollars to keep these 7 horses and plus your own. I know that we do very well finacially but adding 7 more would be a huge expense, this is a prime example of how people get over their heads and the horses then need to be rescued from the rescuer. I now it all starts with great intentions. I hope this isn't the case here but I think you need to find a rescue group that will work w/ you. best of luck. I am sure this won't go over so well with some and that's fine I have a brand new pair of flame retardant big girl panties on.

Hey Kim -

I did a 'net search for horse rescues in AR and it seems there were a few. I would seriously consider contacting them. No way in the world I could afford to rehab 7 big horse, either, so I understand where you are coming from. Bless you for getting them out of there fast but now I think it's time to research reputable rescues that can assist. They are out there, and those horses deserve proper care ASAP.

Good luck!!

but I think you need to find a rescue group that will work w/ you. best of luck. I am sure this won't go over so well with some and that's fine I have a brand new pair of flame retardant big girl panties on.
I have to say I agree. I think it is wonderful you got them out of the situation however I think it is best at this time to see if you can help find a rescue to step in. They have experience, not to mention money and fundraising and proper tax paperwork ect.

It might be the best thing for all of you.

We borrowed the money from my dad because we did not have cash on hand at the time the guy agreed to sell them... my dad did have the cash. We'll pay him back Friday when he gets back down here from Illinois.

It's not that I don't think we could handle the bills... we don't have a house payment or anything like that... all we have to pay is our electric , groceries, and phone. My husband makes 400-600. per week, depending on if he gets any over-time or not. I know we'll be able to do it, but I would just like to be able to keep the vet close at hand and assure me that my feeding and deworming plans are correct and helpful to the horses.

I don't want any one to think ill of me, I swear if I think the horses are not improving because of something I did or did not do, I will call in more help from a rescue organization. It's just that these horses have been very close to my heart for the past 8 months and I want to be given the chance to give them the life they deserve.

I really do hate to ask for help, my husband will make our resources available to me if I want him to, but I'd like to be able to secure the needed things for these horses myself... I just feel in my heart that I can do this if given the chance. I care deeply for these horses even though they've only been with me a few days... I've watched them for months now and constantly tried to figure out who owned them so I could get them out of that situation.

Authorities were alerted to these horses a few times, but nothing was ever done to help them. I want to be able to help them... I want to see the future of these horses personally, and watch them reach their potential.... I can do this... I really think I can do this.

Please don't be upset with me because I am trying my best to do right for these horses. I won't let them suffer, or go without care. I promise I won't. I want to give them all the things that horses deserve... .and then find them suitable, caring, capable homes. Yes, I could do this on my own with our finances... but I might not be able to do quite as much as I want to without a little assistance.

Kim, I don't think ill of you at all, and I think I would FEEL the same way as you do. I'm just thinking of all the money that will need to be put into these critters. The hardest part of having a lot of animals, at least for me, is the unexpected bills that come up - and when you have a lot of animals it seems like at least one of them ALWAYS needs something. This week it's my old mare's eye, last week it was one of the cats had a horribly infected leg, the week before that I got my new riding horse's teeth floated. . .you know how it is.

Maybe at least contact a rescue. They may allow you to foster the animals and put you under their umbrella, so to speak. That way you get the reward of caring for the animals and seeing them flourish and helping to choose their new adoptive homes when that time comes. And then people that want to give donations have the benefit of writing the donations off (most reputable rescues have their 501c3 status or are in the process of applying for it).

Just my 2 cents. If you were closer and contacted the rescues I volunteer with we'd be thrilled to help you with an arrangement like that, as we are always seeking good foster homes with good pasture. And please keep in mind, you noted the authorities had been contacted about these horses - well authorities and rescue are NOT one and the same. Rescues cannot step in and take horses until the authorities have given the ok. Which almost always takes investigation, court, etc.

My first thought when you said you had to borrow money to buy these horses was, how is she going to take care of them if she doesn't have the $50. per horse to buy them? I think your heart was in the right place but I think you should have taken a different route and contacted authorities first. You are talking thousands of dollars to keep these 7 horses and plus your own. I know that we do very well finacially but adding 7 more would be a huge expense, this is a prime example of how people get over their heads and the horses then need to be rescued from the rescuer. I now it all starts with great intentions. I hope this isn't the case here but I think you need to find a rescue group that will work w/ you. best of luck. I am sure this won't go over so well with some and that's fine I have a brand new pair of flame retardant big girl panties on.
This, honestly, is how I felt from the start. I know that her heart is in the right place, but everyone has their own financial limits.

It's like donations are JUST a patch fix. These horses will eat expensive feed / hay every day, need hoof trims and deworming every 6-8 weeks, need vet care periodically.

My own nerves would be shot if I didn't have some spare money just owning the horses I already own let alone taking in seven huge horses in need of much $$$ to get them going.

What is the plan for these horses? Are you seeking adoptive homes? Or to turn over to a rescue facility? This really seems beyond your personal budget (as it would be beyond many of ours). It's within your heart, I know, but the reality is these horses will need a whole lot of money and continuously just to survive.

I started to post this several times last night and changed my mind. I feel bad because I do not want to hurt your feelings but I just think you are setting yourself up for something that will put such a strain into your life and not be worth the potential consequences...

I agree with finding a rescue to help you and the horses. Maybe you could rehabilitate one or, at the most, two at your place but trying to rehabilitate all seven at your home by yourself, even with your family assisting, is probably not the best situation for all seven of the horses.

Please talk to a well set up rescue and listen to what all is involved in not just money concerns but in the emotional attachment that you will form with these horses. You will need to know what to watch for and what to expect and what to do if things do not go as you think they should. They may know of a farrier or vet that can help at a reduced cost.

I do admire you for getting them to your safe place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did donate some but I do agree, it's only going to temporarily ease the financial responsiblity these horses are going to need. You need to plan out long term and get some help with an organization until the horses can be adopted out. You are an angel for jumping right in. You were thinking with your heart and that IS a wonderful quality....
default_smile.png

I did donate some but I do agree, it's only going to temporarily ease the financial responsiblity these horses are going to need. You need to plan out long term and get some help with an organization until the horses can be adopted out. You are an angel for jumping right in. You were thinking with your heart and that IS a wonderful quality....
default_smile.png

Amen to that!

You may not know Kim but I've been a friend of hers for years. I just want everyone to know that this is no scam. Kim is for real and the situation is real. Kim and her children have been going blind now slowly for years, but yet, they are the kind of family that still feels very deep feelings for others in need and helps everyone, and of course animals in need.

Kim's heart broke as she watched these horses since last year starving to death and then freezing all winter long and there was nothing she could do about it until now. She got them the heck out of there to a green pasture for starters so they could atleast begin to end their starvation and have something to graze on. I don't know what her future plans are for them and maybe she didn't even think that far ahead. All she knew was that they needed grass now and acted on that. So if anyone is wanting to donate to her horse fund, I can assure you that every dime will be spent on these horses care as intended.

Kim you have a lot of good ideas that have been given to you on this thread. Best wishes to you as always

and don't forget I'm always here for you and the kids. You guys are heros.

Marty, no one here has said they feel this is a scam. They have all said they know she has the best intentions, but unfortunately, the few donations she may receive will NOT be enough to tend to these horses needs on a long term basis. That is why they are suggesting she contact rescue organizations as they have a lot larger pool to draw from for help.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
default_crybaby.gif
Thank you so much for your vote of confidence, Marty... I was really beginning to regret asking, and considered pulling the thread, but I have to ignore my hurt feelings and hope that there might still be a few people out there that will be willing to help. I don't need someone to do it all... I am more than willing to do everything they need... but some help would ease the burdon just a little.

A friend of mine is a farrier, and he has offered to teach me the proper ways to trim their feet...that will be something really good to know. Another friend of mine runs a bi-monthly coggins pulling for a reduced amount of money, and has agreed to cut the price in half for me to get the horses fresh coggins papers.

My vet told me to first start out with a daily dewormer to slowly begin clearing out the horses... he said if I dose them a full dose that can kill too many at once and they can impact in the horse's gut and colic or kill them. I have used that ContinueX before and really liked the results so that's what I'm going to do now.

I know this is a huge under taking... but we have a large pasture, a good supply of hay for the winter, and farrier work will begin soon. My local feed store gives me a farm discount, so I buy my feed and dewormers there. I am willing, and wanting to do this on my own... I care deeply for these horses, and I already have two homes I'm evaluating for two of the horses once they recover. I know a rescue organization would most likely be willing to step in and help... but this is something I want to do on my own... if I see the horses are not recovering, or that they will lack something they need, I will immediately contact a rescue organization... my intentions are good, and I have a good feeling about these horses. It's hard for strangers to trust that I can do this, especially when they know so little about me.... but I really think I can do this, and I just ask for a chance to show you that I can do it. Please... please have a little faith in me. I promise to give the best to these horses... I took them on...they didn't ask to come with me... so I Have a responsibility to these horses and I really honestly think I can do it. Please, give me a month, I will update photos and conditions in one month, and if you guys see that the horses are not improving, I will step back and let the rescue come in.

I think its great when people step up to help ANY animal in need. Its easy to say "call a rescue" but the fact of the matter is most rescues are so full its past ridiculous! If more people stepped up to take in the animals in need the world would be a better place in my opinion! I havent seen this lady ask for long term help or monthly donations, maybe she just needs a little start up help. I am going to donate some. Even 1 or 2 dollars per person would add up to be of some help anyway! Most rescue groups are great but they CAN'T do it ALL! So I think that you did a great thing taking these horses on! Good for you!!!!!

Maybe it would help some by seeing the horses now and than in a month?
default_wub.png

Now adays time is money, and sounds like you know what you are doing, and you just thought and hoped that when you came here like others have, people here would also help you with your situation.

Sorry, God Bless, We have no right to judge
default_wub.png

I think its great when people step up to help ANY animal in need. Its easy to say "call a rescue" but the fact of the matter is most rescues are so full its past ridiculous! If more people stepped up to take in the animals in need the world would be a better place in my opinion! I havent seen this lady ask for long term help or monthly donations, maybe she just needs a little start up help. I am going to donate some. Even 1 or 2 dollars per person would add up to be of some help anyway! Most rescue groups are great but they CAN'T do it ALL! So I think that you did a great thing taking these horses on! Good for you!!!!!
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that Kim did a great thing here, and it's too bad that she might be feeling that way or that some people are intrepreting it that way.

I'm not saying to call a rescue to have them come and take the horses off of Kim's hands - it sounds to me like she has a good set-up for them since they have probably gotten past the point of foundering or colicing because of the sudden reintroduction to food. And hopefully (though nothing could be done about it at this point) none of the horses has anything that could make any of her own horses ill.

I'm saying call a rescue to network with them. The rescue I volunteer with here in Iowa sometimes has large supplies of donated wormer, feed, and other supplies. Things the average person isn't going to have access to, because the companies that donate these items then have the ability to write these donated items off. That is just one of many reasons to work with a rescue on this, I would at least contact them.

But honestly to each their own. Kim bought these horses and owns them, so they are hers to do with as she wishes. I think she will do wonderful by them to the absolute best of her abilities, I really do. I think in a month they will look SO much better under her care! Look at all that wonderful pasture - it's horse heaven!
default_smile.png

But I can't help but have realistic concerns about the financial side of things for she and her families sake, and for the horses sake. I know financially I could not safely do what she is doing - I could do it, but have no reserve for any type of emergency.

All this being said, I'm so glad Kim got them out of there, they clearly didn't stand a chance before!

Kim I do admire you and that you stepped up and did what you did.

You and your family are amazing and I do have confidence in you

and know you feel you need to do this on your own for your own

reasons. You did save them, but please just keep the door open to

other options down the road if you realize you got in too deep and

please be careful around them. I couldn't take on what you did either.

Latest posts

Back