i ordered gary's headstone last week

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
gary's headstone should be completed in about 4 weeks. it is tall, a little over 3' i think, rather than wide but is a double stone, black granite. this picture of gary will be made into a 3" oval porcelain picture to be inlaid into the stone above his name.

garymonumentpic2.jpg

my name and date of birth will be under gary's name. under my name will be the words "Once In A Lifetime Love". in the upper left hand corner will be an etching of 2 hearts joined in the center by wedding bands. gary always said that even though we weren't married on paper, we were married where it counts the most, in our hearts.

in the upper right hand corner there will be this etching. it will be about 7" x 7".

BLUEBIRDSbw.jpg

gary was so passionate about our bluebirds and i think this picture is symbolic...me, gary and john. gary always thought of john as the son he never had. the back of the headstone will face a line of trees and you won't see it unless you walk around it. the guy asked me if i wanted anything on the back and i decided to have them put the words "When you think I've loved you all I can, I'm gonna love you a little bit more". they are lyrics from our song.

under the song lyrics, i also will have the words "Doc loves Squaw". those were pet names we had for each other. everything gary built out here was not complete until he had carved those words into it. they're everywhere, a couple can be seen, most are hidden under siding or a roof. these words are carved into both decks, my hitching post, the privacy fence that hides the propane tank. they are everywhere.
default_smile.png

i did ok ordering this stone. i think the hard part will be actually seeing his name carved into the granite. **sigh** gary would shoot me if he knew how much i spent but i so want it to be perfect!

That is going to look perfect! You have thought of all the right things to put on it, I bet he will love it!
default_yes.gif

Pam

[SIZE=12pt]It sounds beautiful and oh, so appropriate! [/SIZE]

Barbie

Charlene --

This will be a lasting monument both to Gary and to your love for each other. It will be beautiful!

Jill

thanks, everybody. i am both looking forward to and at the same time, dreading seeing the finished product. i guess that's normal.

my subject line should have said "my" choice, not "me". i'm really not a pirate! lol :DOH!

It sounds really nice and I would love to see the finished product.

sounds like the perfect stone with everlasting memories.

Bless you,

Linda K

Isn't it neat that they can do so many great things like that?

Garys headstone is going to be awesome. Simpy beautiful.

The etching and quote is so personal for you. Perfect.

I can only imagine how hard that was for you to do.

I actually lost many weeks of my memory back

then and don't even remember much.....some kind of amnesia from post

traumatic stress disorder they said. Anyhow, I don't know how but I did

manage to remember Michael's favorite quote to put on his:

Michaels says a quote he used to say all the time

"Why does it take a minute to say hello, and forever to say goodbye?"

It was many months before I went there for the first time after the funeral.

I don't remember that either.

The first time you see it there, you might fall apart giving you another new

burst of reality setting in, but then you get used to it and begin to want to go

see it more and more.

marty, nobody can blame you for PTSD. i can't imagine NOT suffering through that with the sort of loss you experienced. michael's quote is priceless and oh so true!

i have been to gary's grave every single weekend for the past 4 months. today marks 4 months since he died, i will go there as soon as the rain stops. i know it will be sad to see his headstone but at the same time, i am so tired of visiting a patch of dirt. i want so much to get this done so i can plant grass and flowers.

i also picked up a beautiful solar wind chime to put there. it has a crackle glass ball in the center, about 5" in diameter, that changes colors at night. i have 2 of them at home and gary always marveled at their beauty.

it will be a few weeks but when his stone is set, i will post a picture.

thank you all for your kind words.
default_smile.png

Charlene......it sounds like it will be absolutely beautiful and a wonderful monument to Gary and the love you shared!!

It will be perfect. I spent quite a time picking out my husband's headstone. Years ago, they did not have that many fancy things to choose from. I had dogwood branches carved in his (he passed in March and that is when the dogwoods bloom here). I was anxious to put grass on his plot also, get that red dirt gone. I hauled buckets of mulch and sand to fill in and get a good stand of grass going. Made me feel like I was actually doing something. I am sure the guys who mow the cemetary just love me now.
default_wink.png

It is the final thing you can do for him. Don't worry about the cost. If you like it, it is worth every cent. Hugs
default_wub.png

Charlene, it sounds perfectly beautiful!!!!!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

It is amazing what they can put on those now!

~kathryn

Charlene,

You are such a dear, sweet lady! What a lovely tribute to a wonderful man!

It will be hard when you see it in person, I know it was very hard for me when I saw my Mom's and my Aunt's.....my Dad and Uncle ordered them both at the same time, since they were twins, and they look the same......but it takes your breath away when you see the names etched in stone.....but it's also nice to have a place to visit and take flowers.

Hugs to you, thank you for sharing your love of Gary, it's so nice to know that there are people in the world like you.

Valerie

Charlene,

You are such a dear, sweet lady! What a lovely tribute to a wonderful man!

It will be hard when you see it in person, I know it was very hard for me when I saw my Mom's and my Aunt's.....my Dad and Uncle ordered them both at the same time, since they were twins, and they look the same......but it takes your breath away when you see the names etched in stone.....but it's also nice to have a place to visit and take flowers.

Hugs to you, thank you for sharing your love of Gary, it's so nice to know that there are people in the world like you.

Valerie
thank you valerie, that's so sweet of you to say. yes, i know seeing it in person will be hard. i will have to prepare myself for that, if i can. i just wanted to be able to express the deepest love i will ever feel and i also wanted to add a couple of things only gary would appreciate.
default_wink.png

it truly IS amazing what they can do with headstones now!

thanks again everyone, for your kind thoughts.
default_smile.png

default_aktion033.gif
I agree with the rest; it's perfect and oh so beautiful! You've put lots of love and thought into it and it'll be there for generations of folks to see and know that the love of "doc" and "squaw" continues throughout eternity! Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue down life's road. May God bring comfort and peace to your heart as little things bring happier times of Gary to your mind.

God bless,

Joan

I think Gary will be pleased.........

Charlene, Gary's headstone will be beautiful and will stand through the years as a memorial to the love you shared with each other, what could be more beautiful than that.

Hugs to you,

Yvonne

It will be so beautiful. I think Gary will approve.

Latest posts

Back